PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to the rescue

djwaterman
11-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Haven't been doing much of the 3D lately but this week at the place I've been working, they asked me to work up a branding iron graphic to be burnt onto an end board for a television show, so it was a little additive graphic saying "coming soon to(station X)". I said, yeah, it'd be nice If we actually could see the branding iron come in and burn it on and it looked realistic, but that would take time, so the expectation was it would be just a graphic that would burn on. Anyway, thinking about it at home I decided to open up Lightwave and actually make up the branding iron in 3D, just as a test. The next day I set up my After Effects project and prepped all the 2D graphics stuff, then matched my 3D branding iron scene in Layout to match the position and banged out the animation and a separate shadow pass using the shadow catcher node. I also used Kuzey's black metal surface from Preset Central for the iron.

The graphic ended up looking like we actually went out and shot a branding iron and burnt the text into the wood, with LW's nice lighting and photo-real motion blur. They use Maya there so I was doing all this on my laptop and didn't make a noise about it or anything, but I think they were impressed at the speed and the final result. I really like when I get the chance to sneak some Lightwave into a job. Sorry, probably not mean't to show the work before it's gone to air and that's not the reason for posting either, just wanted to praise LW for it being such a cool app for getting stuff done quickly with no fuss.

lardbros
11-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Again, and again these are the LW success stories we always hear! :D

LightWave saving the day! Woooo!

Often the cool and quick stuff like this isn't even recognised as LW because it goes under the radar!

Thanks for sharing, and would be cool to see the final piece when it's aired :D

50one
11-28-2013, 06:45 AM
...pics or it didn't happen.

Waves of light
11-28-2013, 06:59 AM
It's great to hear stories like that and shows people just how powerful LW is in the right hands. Any chance of showing the video or some screen grabs?

50one
11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
It's great to hear stories like that and shows people just how powerful LW is in the right hands. Any chance of showing the video or some screen grabs?

Yes, we will keep it quiet and won't tell anyone...8/:thumbsup:

Waves of light
11-28-2013, 07:08 AM
yes, we will keep it quiet and won't tell anyone...8/::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Ryan Roye
11-28-2013, 09:11 AM
I rather enjoy having 100% of the production pipeline at my fingertips. Sure LW has some weak points, but everything is there and the majority of its tools allow for a rapid production environment that is vital for many of its users.

vector
11-29-2013, 09:26 PM
One man(or woman of course), one computer that's what Powers says. He told us how he solved the Aliens of the Deep intro at Barcelona's meeting. How he did the whole nice intro quickly and that James Cameron was happy with the result: so easy to understand. Client doesn't matter how much you paid for your software or if it was used for doing that movie. Client only wants the work to be done. Quickly and not expensive if possible.

Waves of light
11-30-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm starting to see it more and more... you don't need to the 'industry standard' software to create amazing VFX. Which is why I don't understand not seeing Lightwave being used in more major VFX productions (and I'm talking Hollywood blockbusters) given it's a damn sight cheaper and can match the results of others, again, in the right hands.

Afalk
12-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I get the impression that Lightwave is used all over the place, and yes, even in many blockbusters, but its used as part of a larger pipeline, one centered on some much more expensive solution... that in turn, the studio or production company poured comparatively a ton more resources, and which they like to laud most strongly to ensure the money cow doesn't dry up. Lightwave feels like the unsung heroes most days hehe.