PDA

View Full Version : A remastered Babylon 5?

robertoortiz
11-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
"A remastered Babylon 5 is “being discussed in the highest quarters” at Warner Brothers, according to George Feltenstein - Senior Vice President for Theatrical Catalog Marketing.

For those that don’t know – and up until around 10 minutes ago that included me – there’s a podcast Mr Feltenstein runs where he discusses some of the stuff which Warner Home Video is up to – including remastering classic movies and tv shows. Here’s an extract right from the end of this weeks highlights.

“Babylon 5 is an extraordinarily important franchise to all of Warner Brothers. So much so that it is of course very much on the minds at everybody at Warner home video, and bringing Babylon 5 to a next generation shall we say, is very much on the minds of everyone involved. The fact that the show was post produced on video tape and FX were done on video tape makes bringing another iteration a very expensive proposition. But it is being discussed in the highest of quarters.”

So are like you saying there might be a blue shift in the stars.

“There might be hope, but there is nothing to report that’s a fact. Lets just say that the powers that be are very smart and they know the fan desire is out there.”

Here’s the link – B5 is mentioned right at the end in reply to a question sent in by a listener.
http://podcaster.fm/podcasts/viewEpisode.aspx?podcastitemid=13480836&title=MGM+and+TNT+Dynamite

Genuine thanks to Paul Ryan, for highlighting that link and what was discussed.

B5Scrolls front door.
http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm

B5scrolls download page.
http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm#Screen4_01_5"

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/B5Scrolls

Phil
11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
That puzzles me given the way that they screwed around with it towards the end, leading to the rushed closure of S4 and the messy S5, and the termination of the Lost Tales (which can't be resumed since so many years have gone by and various cast members are deceased). If I were JMS, I'd also be very worried about a re-imagining. If they are only proposing to do a restoration and effects replacement, that would be something. If they are talking about doing a BSG style rework, I'm less confident that it would be worthwhile. The pacing of modern series is, almost without fail, awful - purely intended to drag out plots to enable as much advertising to be placed as possible without requiring decent writers.

Chuck
11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
I'd love to see a Hi-Def version of the show if properly done. I'd been thinking about rewatching the DVD set, think I'll do that through the holidays! :)

Chuck
11-25-2013, 03:58 PM
That puzzles me given the way that they screwed around with it towards the end, leading to the rushed closure of S4 and the messy S5, and the termination of the Lost Tales (which can't be resumed since so many years have gone by and various cast members are deceased). If I were JMS, I'd also be very worried about a re-imagining. If they are only proposing to do a restoration and effects replacement, that would be something. If they are talking about doing a BSG style rework, I'm less confident that it would be worthwhile. The pacing of modern series is, almost without fail, awful - purely intended to drag out plots to enable as much advertising to be placed as possible without requiring decent writers.

Sounds to me like the "restoration and effects replacement" approach what what is in consideration, but if there is some worse thing to do to this classic series, no doubt that's what they'll get up to. ;)

dickbill
11-25-2013, 04:04 PM
The CG in the last Superman looked LW, blue exhaust in spaceships and over-using 'bullet' for (too much) building destruction. LW or not, I had a felling of familiarity or deja vu.
If t wasn't LW, that means that all programs/compositing softs produce the same effects.

Phil
11-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Re. Superman, your answers would be here : http://www.fxguide.com/featured/man-of-steel-vfx-milestones/

Doctor49152
11-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I just re-watched the first 4 seasons of B5 on DVD again a few months ago while recovering from an operation. I had forgot how awesome that show was! I ordered the Babylon 5 at 20 book (http://www.cafepress.com/b5books) AMAZING behind the scene photos.

I'd totally re-buy the series if it was re-mastered!

Dodgy
11-25-2013, 05:45 PM
I understand the whole series was filmed in widescreen, even the 1st which was broadcast in 4:3, so that at least is something.

dickbill
11-25-2013, 06:15 PM
yes well, it's not LW, but it looked like it.

prometheus
11-25-2013, 11:47 PM
The CG in the last Superman looked LW, blue exhaust in spaceships and over-using 'bullet' for (too much) building destruction. LW or not, I had a felling of familiarity or deja vu.
If t wasn't LW, that means that all programs/compositing softs produce the same effects.

Superman movies of lates are subscribing to a well known production workflow with houdini as a base for fluids, particles, and houdini bullet engine...but vfx looking the same
or similar isn´t surprising since bullet exist in lightwave too..and fluid tools like turbulenceFD will look very similar.
The houdini workflow has been proven familiar and working with splendor so far, so why would they change tools for that?

And as mentioned in the linked vfx coverage, houdini was the main tool of choice for the vfx with some exceptions, the handheld cam look was obviously impressed by
the work Gary Hutzel did for the Battlestar galactica series, but that is as close connection to lightwave there is..I think:)

So Babylon 5, I wish they could air that series again, or I might get me a copy of the series if it is displayed in widescreen later on.
Babylon 5 over defiance anytime,anywhere.

vfx,characters, story, photo..acting, babylon 5 wins in all areas.

Michael

Megalodon2.0
11-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Babylon 5 over defiance anytime,anywhere.

vfx,characters, story, photo..acting, babylon 5 wins in all areas.

Michael

I actually like Defiance. But... I agree with you here - Babylon5 beats in all areas. :thumbsup:

prometheus
11-26-2013, 12:56 AM
I actually like Defiance. But... I agree with you here - Babylon5 beats in all areas. :thumbsup:

Taste is like the buttocks, divided as we say...I didn´t like it at all, don´t think it fits in to the sci-fi arena at all, story is to much fixed on everyday life...which just as easy
could have been placed in a completly different stage environment without the loss of the premise.

Vfx..nothing spectacular, though I understand the huge work around it and the fast paced production, photo ..nothing spectacular either, editing etc...
But nuff said about that, Ivé already trashed that series in another thread I started.

Michael

Megalodon2.0
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Taste is like the buttocks, divided as we say...I didn´t like it at all, don´t think it fits in to the sci-fi arena at all, story is to much fixed on everyday life...which just as easy
could have been placed in a completly different stage environment without the loss of the premise.

Vfx..nothing spectacular, though I understand the huge work around it and the fast paced production, photo ..nothing spectacular either, editing etc...
But nuff said about that, Ivé already trashed that series in another thread I started.

Michael

Well... I'd much rather see Defiance as opposed to wrestling - which one is more sci-fi? ;)

Regarding Defiance being placed in a completely different stage... you can say that about virtually any sci-fi show. The standard basic plotlines are in every show, just different characters and locations. Recall Star Trek did the same thing showcasing humanities problems veiled in a sci-fi setting.

Of course I (and my wife) also liked Terranova - as far as I'm concerned, the FX were topnotch in both shows. :eek:

prometheus
11-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Well... I'd much rather see Defiance as opposed to wrestling - which one is more sci-fi? ;)

Regarding Defiance being placed in a completely different stage... you can say that about virtually any sci-fi show. The standard basic plotlines are in every show, just different characters and locations. Recall Star Trek did the same thing showcasing humanities problems veiled in a sci-fi setting.

:eek:

i don´t agree with that...I felt this series was so very ordinary in terms of that it could very well be just a ordinary drama show somehow, shows like babylon 5, star trek, and galactica, had some sort of bigger than life topics to deal with raising scientific questions or raises questions regarding the future in a completly different way, but who knows if the series caught up in the end, I couldn´t watch more than four episoded and it never got me anywhere, was to boring.

Wrestling?....we don´t have that over here.

Michael

VIDandCGI
11-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Two shows I would really get behind are one firefly, a great show that really didn't get its time to develop into a must see. Instead it's been relegated to cult classic, though the film did get more people to watch the series after.
The second would be B5, I was a huge fan of the show and I remember it airing as I went through the later stages of school. Watching it as it got placed in even more obscure time slots and talking about it with friends next morning- good times :)
Was lucky enough to meet all the actors, JMS et al a few times. Couple of those being the castle hotel in Blackpool I believe - one of the events was called wolf359 I think, which I always thought a bit odd for what was a B5 heavy event. Also a bit humerous considering the crossovers in actors etc at the time with ST:DS9 as all the main ST present were DS9.
Can feel the wave of nostalgia rising haha.

Not sure if he still frequents the LW boards but I know one of the Lead modellers at Microsoft was a big B5 fan when we were at school and one of the first of us to get to grips with LW. I can imagine the idea of this bringing a smile to him also.

So yes would love to see B5 remastered, I would even be open to a reworking as long as JMS had hold of the reigns, so we could see a less condensed s4 and perhaps even a completion to crusade and lotr.

Found this quite funny to read as had just recently repurchased the series on iTunes to introduce a female colleague to it along with aforementioned firefly.

prometheus
11-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I found the Plot of Babylon exciting at that time, it was mysterious and raised questions about the older ones, shadows,vorlons and what part they played etc, so the intrigue was thrilling and presented in episoded in good way.

Then again..I might have missed something? as Jeff Sinclair was notified of.. "there´s a hole in your mind"

The premise of setting the stage at an enourmous spacestation where all rases could live,trade and change thoughts together for a last and standing chance of peace, is somewhat equall to the ancient myth of babylon and how mankind from different rases tried to build it´s way to god, but failing to do so because they couldn´t understand each others language, and thus not being able to construct the tower.

Babylon 5 failing to work as the place where to find the "divine" peace...if the rases can´t get along.
It is so very familiar to put these thoughts on to Planet earth..we obviously seem to have some difficulties living in peace, I think we don´t understand each other still..even though we have translators..like google translate:) but it´s still not working in the understanding of our behavior, our fears, our intentions etc.

Michael