PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon, new plugin JettoLocal

jagoca
11-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi!

I'm the bad guy of the boring posts again :-P!

I've just nearly finished the beta of my first C plugin: JettoLocal. It's a useful tool, similar to C_Plane, but with a different workflow.

It allows aligning your geometry (fg + bg) based on three selected points, which will specify x and z local axis, in a similar way Autocad defined user coord system. After the transformation, these axis will be aligned with Lightwave's. In the future, I will try to add more aligning possibilities, like poly normals, poly normals and points, etc...

The most tricky part is that this transformation gets stored in each affected layer name (maintaining original, of course), so when the plugin finds any "transformed layer" it will "untransform" all of them (each could have been aligned in a different way). Only when no transformed layer (fg or bg) is found, it will align to origin based on selection.

So, this is slightly more flexible than C_Plane (at least for my purposes). Moreover, a single plugin does all the job. You can align to origin different layers each with its own reference, returning to original state in a single run!

To be honest, I got this idea from someone in this forum (don't remember who), so I only did the dirty job. Also, this work would have not been possible without the help of people on yahoo newsletter!

The bad news are that, since I don't have a mac, there will be not JettoLocal Mac version, sorry.

I hope I could release it in a week (I'm very busy until saturday), I hope also it could be useful to anyone, since it has mainly been a really good training exercise for future projects...!

bloontz
11-16-2003, 05:22 PM
You are the man!!! Your plugins are really useful! Thanks for sharing them.

TSpyrison
11-16-2003, 06:00 PM
It sounds Realy confusing (to my simple mind)
But yet.. Also sounds like a kick *** tool...

Cant wait to see it! :)

adk
11-16-2003, 09:34 PM
... if I understand this correctly (basically creating your own construction planes) then yeah it sounds fantactic :) as C_Plane is cool but limited from my experience. Can't wait to have a peek at this one.

jagoca
11-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Hey, not confusing...!

First and second selected points define the local x axis. Perpendicular to it and passing through the third point, the z local axis gets defined. Runing the tool, geometry gets aligned until these local axis match lightwave x and z axis, getting it centered and ready to get profit of all lightwave tools.

If people likes it, I will be adding more possibilities, such as defining your local axes by means of poly normals, averages, etc... possibilities are endless, and yet simple to implement.

For me, C_Plane limitation was that you haven't full control over alignment, simply translation, although we must agree it has the original idea.

But you'll have to wait a little bit :-P, there's more than Lightwave and soundtracks in my life.

jagoca
11-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Don't want to seem stupid, but can anybody tell me what do kick *** and BTW exactly mean? They seem "good things" but don't know exactly it's spanish translation, and I have seen them frecuently on these forum.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity!

bearmandb
11-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Hello Jagoca,

I am from Spain like you, and live in Valencia too :)

Kick *** means Patear el trasero :) THe put * instead the other word for obvious reasons.

BTW means By the way :)

ANd BTW your plugins are really useful, I readed several times the SDK and I know how it works, so if you need help or want to made any plugin together I would be happy to help and meet you.

David.

jin choung
11-17-2003, 02:45 AM
kicka$$... butt, posterior, rump, boody, 'moneymaker', gluteous maximus, boom boom....

it's super awesome... ya know?

hey jagoca... i'm not exactly sure if i understand what you mean by 'align with lw's axis' but if it's what i THINK it means, it would truly be awesome....

one of the things that i always thought was a problem is that in lw, we almost always end up ALIGNING and ROTATING COMPONENTS (like 'v' engine pistons) inside of modeler... but we SHOULD NOT be aligning components in modeler!

we WANT the components to exist in modeler aligned very ORTHOGRAPHICALLY... straight up and down or horizontal... it makes MODIFICATION of that component much easier and texturing and retexturing much much easier (you don't have to start tilting your texture projections to weird angles).

so in my mind, ORIENTATION TOOLS are probably MOST relevant in LAYOUT (though it is useful in modeler too).

so far, i think the only thing that does what i'm talking about is found in this EXCELLENT but really long tutorial:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/contests/dec-02/winners/tutorials/model/Leon_Chu/index.html

it's great but dang, they really should come up with something automated for this process....

is your plugin something like this?

anyhoo, just my guess.

thanks for all the great stuff and keep on truckin'

jin

jagoca
11-17-2003, 04:44 AM
To jin choung:

mhhhh... I'm sorry, but my plugin isn't exactly related with this. It is intended to temporary ortographically align some part of your geometry, so you can make modifications on it easily, returning to original orientation when finished.

Think, for example on adding a laser beam cannon pointing to any direction on a spherical surface, you first align all geomety until your future canon axis matches lightwaves x axis. Create the cannon as desired and then undo the transformation, so your cannon gets final direction. You can align / unalign at any time.

With my short modeling experience, I have needed something like this several times.

Hope I'm not the only person who finds this useful!

jin choung
11-17-2003, 04:51 AM
hiya jagoca,

AHA!

actually, our two methods are two different solution to the SAME PROBLEM!

ah.... so it TEMPORARILY makes a rotated component ORTHOGRAPHIC for modification purposes and then when you're done, it goes back to its original position!

fantastic. that would indeed be another way address the fact that most editing should be done on an orthographic model - cuz it's much easier!

great!

jin

Nemoid
11-17-2003, 08:06 AM
it seems a really useful plugin! BTW I'd add to it the advanced options you described as you said they're easy to implement. :)

P.S. try to make it the most interactive you can!!

jagoca
11-17-2003, 08:35 AM
the hipotetic power of this tool is its simplicity.

No interface, no options.. Asign it to a key and run it. If it finds any transformed layer, will untransform it, otherwise, transform all layers based on the local coordsys defined by the selection.

Depending on what you have selected, it will guess how you are defining the local coordsys. Perhaps, I could add a config, in which you decide what axis you want to define (x and y, x and z, y and z). So, for example, if any transformed layer is found and there's no selection, the config panel appears, saving configuration for all runs on a cfg files

What I want to avoid is having to choose the options each execution by means of an interface, along with having more than a single plugin.

As you can guess, has no sense making this interactive!

For now, wait until I upload it, suggestions, as always, will be welcome.

P.S. Until date, nobody PC-related has notified me any bug on JettoBevel / Fillet. Is people too lazy or there're really no bugs? I heard no-remember-where there's no good software without bugs.

Bye.

cresshead
11-17-2003, 09:14 AM
as soon as get round to installing/using lw7.5 c i'll try n find some bugs for you if you really want!

..will be upping to lw7.5c this week BTW

steve g

jagoca
11-17-2003, 11:50 AM
thanks! :mad:

cresshead
11-17-2003, 01:58 PM
opps!

BTW Bernard Herrmann makes excelent film scores...

steve g:)

jagoca
11-17-2003, 02:41 PM
yeah!

I love Jason and the Argonauts and Vertigo! Although my favourite composers are Alex North and Jerry Goldsmith!

As you'll gues, along with being a newbie lightwaver, I'm also a great soundtrack collector!

Limbus
11-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Rock on! :D
Your plugins are very nice.

Florian

j3st3r
11-18-2003, 02:14 AM
Hey, that`s sounds just like my idea, and my wish!!!!

Coooooooool! I`d liek to be the one of the first testers!!!!!!

jin choung
11-18-2003, 02:35 AM
ennio morricone is awesome too... i was very surprised to find out that he did the score for the untouchables - but it was really awesome.

jin

jagoca
11-18-2003, 02:46 AM
to j3st3r:

where really you the person who give this idea some time ago on this forum!? Thanks!, be sure you'll be given credit for that, since it's really a good idea. Give me your complete name, if you're agree with this.

;) Be sure I will mail you the plug soon, perhaps today or tomorrow. In fact it's fully functional, and seems no buggy. Only remains writing the web docs, and adding more define-working-plane options along time, at user request :p

to jin choung:

I like morricone, but not much. For me, his best is Once Upon a Time in the West, really, really inspired..., far better than The Untouchables, gorgeus!!!! :D

BeeVee
11-18-2003, 03:25 AM
For me Michael Nyman - I have several of his scores, notably for the Piano and A Zed and two Noughts, and Yann Tiersen for the soundtrack for Amelie...

B
PS. Oh yeah, you also have Hans Zimmer, who did most of the music for Gladiator, but also my single favourite soundtrack track - the opening glockenspiel theme in True Romance - I even got married to it! :)

jagoca
11-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Hans Zimmer, Mychael Nyman, Tiersen...

I enjoyed gladiator and Amelie, but hate minimalist Nyman!

I like more classical yet innovative approaches. Has anyone heard John Corigliano's Altered States, Alex North's Spartacus or Goldsmith's Legend and Planet of the Apes? Masterpieces!!!

Yes, this is going OT. But when dealing with soundtracks, I can 't avoid talking about :eek: