PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Animation Schools and Industry???

Capel
11-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Here's a question for all you New Zealand Lightwavers out there! My roomates and i are thinking about moving to New Zealand, and i'm wondering what the animation industry is like there. Also how good the schools are and what not. Any advice would be really helpful, because i've pretty much decided that animation will be my career!

Beamtracer
11-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Isn't Lord Of The Rings the New Zealand animation industry?

dpartridge
11-16-2003, 09:30 PM
yes, lotr did come out of weta based in wellington,nz. but employed only overseas animates with lots of experience. i dont know if there are any good animating schools here, as im self taught and work in print.
there is a company in auckland called flux that use lw for animating commercials.

kevman3d
11-17-2003, 03:00 AM
LOTR may be the 'visible' NZ Animation Industy, but I think its 3D education that's where all the money is going at the moment IMHO! :)

LOTR seemed to stir a lot of excitement, and it seemed about the same time every web/media design school suddenly started to sell '3D modelling and animation' courses to cash in on the sudden interest in FX that got stirred up! :)

Otherwise, yes, Flux Animation would be one of the Larger LightWave-using studios in NZ as far as I know (www.fluxmedia.co.nz) doing adverts, short film and some kids TV. There's also Huson Studios, which do a few kids shows like 'Buzz and Poppy'.

There are a few Max/Maya based studios about as well.

However we do have the 'Kiwavers' LWUG - Which is a cool place for support, ideas, free tutorials, etc... :) (Sorry, couldn't help plug the LWUG here! lol!)

...But NZ is a cool country, and there *is* work here and there. Just don't expect Hollywood, big salaries or to work for an 'ILM' sized company! :)

Jarno
11-17-2003, 04:45 PM
As already indicated, NZ isn't exactly a large market. One alternative could be to set up your own studio in NZ and pitch your work overseas, taking advantage of the exchange rate and the low-wage economy (compared with the US).

---JvdL---

SplineGod
11-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Jarno
As already indicated, NZ isn't exactly a large market. One alternative could be to set up your own studio in NZ and pitch your work overseas, taking advantage of the exchange rate and the low-wage economy (compared with the US).

---JvdL---
Hey, now theres an idea :)

kevman3d
11-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Hey, now theres an idea

lol! ;)

SplineGod
11-18-2003, 11:30 AM
That reminds me Kev,
How many people out there would you guess are capable of doing pretty good character animation in LW? :)

riki
11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
So sad to see the All Black's didn't go the distance :)

SplineGod
11-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by riki
So sad to see the All Black's didn't go the distance :)
Yes it was and especially since my wife made me pay $20 bucks to watch it on pay per view. :)

kevman3d
11-19-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
That reminds me Kev,
How many people out there would you guess are capable of doing pretty good character animation in LW? :)

Those kiwi's with the best talent are probably signed to a full time job somewhere already (though not always with an animation company). Some of the students I work with are not bad, and only need a few nudges in the right direction and they'd be great. The LWUG people who occasionally bring good work also seem to have jobs.

I would say there could be a good handful of people I would know of about that would be able to animate reasonably well with characters in LW.

Maybe I'll make the next LWUG compo to do a character animation? That could be a cool idea! :)

Freak
11-19-2003, 03:54 AM
SplineGod Wrote:
"Yes it was and especially since my wife made me pay $20 bucks to watch it on pay per view"

Sheesh..... Next she will want you to move there Larry.... ;)
Well you know that NZ will never beat Australia, in anything..... :)
(It's just the rules)

It's okay, don't feel bad, The Poms get to have their asses kicked
next, and they are much worse wingers when they lose.... :)
(God knows they get enough practice)

Also...... to those who will be in that part of the world......

Lightwave 8 (That got your attention)
Will be Demo'd, on Monday the 8th of December at the AEAF.....

Resident master (and all round nice guy) Jonny (AKA, Kretin) will be showing the latest features and putting LWV8 through it's paces......

William (Proton) was also meant to make it back down under, however budget and time restraints, have meant he won't... :(

Really, i think Newtek were nerveous of letting Proton,
go back to a place with so much beer, with the company credit card. (Smart move) :)

John Gaeta, Dan Glass, Mark Stetson, Alex Laurant, Brian Green.
are a couple of the other unknowns who will be hanging around.

OZLW users will of course be leading the drinking masterclasses... Sign Up Now! :)

fabmedia
11-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of moving there. I would at first opportunity. My wife's a Kiwi so it would be easy for me to do. I'm a graphic designer, but I would easily change careers to work at WETA any day!!!

Arlen

SplineGod
11-22-2003, 08:35 PM
My wife is also a kiwi.
I have some projects coming along that (if they happen) I want to see about doing a chunk of it in NZ. This will give me a chance to also get another project started that Im working on. Its based on a story my wife wrote and is influenced by Maori legends.
This will also allow me the opportunity to see what I need to do to set up a pipeline between Hollywood and Kiwiwood. ;)

kevman3d
11-24-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Freak
The Poms get to have their asses kicked next, and they are much worse wingers when they lose.... :) (God knows they get enough practice)

lol! And we know how THAT game went, don't we. ;)

Also...... to those who will be in that part of the world......

Lightwave 8 (That got your attention)
Will be Demo'd, on Monday the 8th of December at the AEAF.....

I'd love to see L[8] demo'd, but paying over $500 in airfares, and then accomodation and probably the entry fee on top of that won't get me there for a demo... :( Sorta sad really, that's something I'd like to see...

Kev.

riki
11-24-2003, 01:29 AM
Someone sent me this, this morning :D

Following on from the All Blacks loss things are so depressing in New Zealand that even the price of lamb has dropped.

Its now $10/hr.

fabmedia
11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
SG,

Yeah I was looking throught the 4 DVD edition of the Two Towers over the weekend, and yes, it looks mighty nice down there. I've been lucky enough to obtain US clients because of the Canadian exchange rate, I end up making more money by charging less. So if I do move to NZ then I can possibly make even more (for less).

Somehow that just doesn't sound right.

Arlen

fabmedia
11-24-2003, 10:46 AM
crikey!!!

Mind you it's rugby, cricket and sheep down there.

Arlen

Freak
11-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Kevman3D Wrote:

"lol! And we know how THAT game went, don't we. "

Yes, Yes we do.... ;(

Luckily my plan from the start was clear:
Win, Lose or Draw..................... We Drink! :)

Well they hadn't won anything since 1966......
So i guess they were due.... Besides in the same weekend
our Rugby League team beat Great Britain, and won the series
3-nil. But yes we are ashamed, i mean imagine England actually beating us in anything, Oh the shame......

Ya know they would not of won, if i didn't open my big fat mouth!

(Mental Note to self: Don't open large mouth until all chickens have hatched... :) )

It's a shame ya can't make it to the AEAF, Kev...
Gotta say that the $544 entry price sucks,
It's costing me around $1500.00 and i'm already here... Eek!
But at least i'll be able to beat up Jonny and steal the latest Beta of LW8..... ;)

Airfares aren't bad between our places at the moment, I will return to Middle earth, early in the new year, to do some bungy jumping... Can't wait..... Cheers!

kevman3d
11-25-2003, 02:38 AM
It's a shame ya can't make it to the AEAF, Kev...
Gotta say that the $544 entry price sucks,
It's costing me around $1500.00 and i'm already here... Eek!

Yeh, its a little sad (even though my wife would love to go to Aus for a few days as a short 'holiday') - Its funny, cause in the end its usually me who demos the latest LW in NZ here at LWUG's, but that's usually AFTER I have paid for the upgrade and waited the 2-3 months to receive it! (not joking) :)

I get away with it cause well, most people can't afford the upgrade, or don't want to spend money! ;)

Would be nice to actually see L[8] 'in the flesh' as it were, but that's a mighty expensive 'demo' (its more then the upgrade costs!)

Freak
11-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Yep i hear what your saying.......
It can be hard to get LW to the masses around these parts...

New Magic are a great distributor, and there are other resellers
like Sigma which are great, but it usually take me and a few of the other die hards to get anything LW shown over here...

This is Max and Maya country........ (so badly)

We have a whole bunch of large studio's in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane... And none of them use LW (or advertise that they do) The AEAF was looking like a Maya roadshow, until Proton
and Jonny got us into the main event, (and not just in the tradeshow area)

Most Ozwavers are freelancers, (and most are now learning Maya anyway) Bah Humbug! But the group that we do have are some of the most talented and generally nicest people in the business.
The LW community in general is bloody special.....

Is it true that the NZ LW distributor is also the Maya Distributor?

Is it true

kevman3d
11-27-2003, 03:06 AM

Likewise. I always get at least ONE student in my class that tells me their 'industry friend uses M*** and says that LW isn't even used professionally, and what a waste of time it is to learn it'

However, it only takes a few clips of Voyager, RoughNecks, Max Steel, the Foundation Showreel, etc to show them what a load of rubbish that comment was.

Besides, I work at a LW oriented Animation studio - And well, if that means I'm not a 'professional' using LightWave? :)

Is it true

lol! :D Yes, its VERY much true... DVT (Digital Video Technologies) which I believe is an Oz company anyway (www.dvt.co.nz)

Isn't that sad. You can bet what software they'd prefer you to order... ;)

kevman3d
11-27-2003, 03:06 AM

Likewise. I always get at least ONE student in my class that tells me their 'industry friend uses M*** and says that LW isn't even used professionally, and what a waste of time it is to learn it'

However, it only takes a few clips of Voyager, RoughNecks, Max Steel, the Foundation Showreel, etc to show them what a load of rubbish that comment was.

Besides, I work at a LW oriented Animation studio - And well, if that means I'm not a 'professional' using LightWave? :)

Is it true

lol! :D Yes, its VERY much true... DVT (Digital Video Technologies) which I believe is an Oz company anyway (www.dvt.co.nz)

Isn't that sad. You can bet what software they'd prefer you to order... ;)

Freak
11-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Kevman Wrote:

lol! Yes, its VERY much true... DVT (Digital Video Technologies) which I believe is an Oz company anyway (www.dvt.co.nz)

Isn't that sad. You can bet what software they'd prefer you to order...

Yeah the reason i ask is, Weta initially contacted NM in Oz for licences of LW for a movie (you may of heard of it) Lord of the rings or something... it was called.... :)

But NM are not authorized to sell outside Oz, so they reffered it back to DVT, who obviously make more profit from a Maya seat than that of LW..... (stupid mistake making them the same distributor)

My own opinion is, Maya is better suited to Large studio's who want to throw a team of programmers at it, a more flexible SDK makes it easier to do whatever they need it to. So for LOTR Maya was a better choice...

But i do sometimes think of what may of been, if DVT did not sell Maya.... :)

Your LW user groups meetings, would be quite bit larger methinks! :)

Cheers!

kevman3d
11-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Yeah the reason i ask is, Weta initially contacted NM in Oz for licences of LW for a movie (you may of heard of it) Lord of the rings or something... it was called.... :)

lol! Are you sure on that? That sounds suspiciously more like a big rumour then an actual true story... ;)

Though not saying it wouldn't be possible of course to do a lot of that stuff with LW - We've all seen some pretty impressive stuff done with our fave app! :D

Your LW user groups meetings, would be quite bit larger methinks!

Actually its not that small anyway - It fluctuates - From 5 to around 35 depending on when and what is happening. Usual attendance (once a month) seems to float around the 10 person mark...

When Larry Shultz came over a year or two ago (or is it 3?), we had a whopping 37 (biggest LWUG attendance I've ever seen). The recent LW World tour I managed to also sign up around 30 people from all over the country... Not just LWUIG people, but others I'd never met before! :)

When I started the LWUG over 5 years ago, I fought hard to get 2 people! :D It was hard, but all the hard work and time have paid off in many ways.

SplineGod
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by kevman3d

When Larry Shultz came over a year or two ago (or is it 3?), we had a whopping 37 (biggest LWUG attendance I've ever seen). The recent LW World tour I managed to also sign up around 30 people from all over the country... Not just LWUIG people, but others I'd never met before! :)

When I started the LWUG over 5 years ago, I fought hard to get 2 people! :D It was hard, but all the hard work and time have paid off in many ways.

It was a very good turnout and in one of the best locations Ive probably ever done a presentation in. :)