PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 billion dollars....

Tranimatronic
11-21-2013, 03:19 PM
http://jasonskywalker5.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/black-author-wins-matrix/#!

No wonder their latter movies were nowhere near the quality of the first matrix..... they didn't write it. ;)

Of course this HAS to be true, it's on the internet...still its quite interesting

RebelHill
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
You may notice at the bottom it cites a CNN page as the original source... if you go there it says the article has been removed due to being untrue...

prometheus
11-21-2013, 05:00 PM
isnīt that some type of old news, according to the date of the newsfeed? Posted: "18/02/2010 in Current Affairs"
And how valid is that, I havenīt seen anything of it, and what date and at what court is that stated that she won?

that amount of money is just the gross receipt of the two movies terminator and matrix and all there sequels.

"And just as recently as December 10th 2011, other websites including www.brandnewz.com have announced that Miss. Stewart has won a multi-billion dollar settlement for copyright infringement against the MATRIX franchise and THE TERMINATOR franchise."

Havent heard anything big in media, either it is a hoax, or in fact she hasnīt won anything yet, or media is payed by the other companies to keep it quiet.

The court name, date of decision and casenumber etc, then it might be easier to check out rather than some webnews etc.

Michael

Tranimatronic
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
maybe shes really a Nigerian prince and wants to put 2.5billion in my bank account if I send her the details...?

JoePoe
11-21-2013, 06:01 PM
What I can remember....

This was an actual case, she did write a book "The third Eye" and did sue (in '04 I think). A journalism student at the time wrote an article about it saying she had won, but in fact all that had happened, at that point, was that she had won the right to continue the case. Finally when her day in court came..... she didn't show up.

As far as news agencies/websites etc republishing the story years later goes...... :screwy:

Davewriter
11-21-2013, 08:28 PM
With Terminator... wasn't that stolen from, er... based on Harlin Ellison's work? At least that is what his payout was for. As well as the "producers wish to acknowledge the work of..." card at the end of the movie...
Either she's much older than it would seem, or else... I'm just saying...

Philbert
11-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Snopes says "False"

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/matrix.asp

bazsa73
11-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Let's believe in hoaxes!

JoePoe
11-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Behind every good hoax there's a kernel of truth :hey:.

True story of accusations of stealing.
False ending.

Hey... that would make a great movie!! :D

PabloMack
11-24-2013, 07:59 AM
This shows that dogooders are often liars.

Hey... that would make a great movie!! :D

Here's one possible scenario:

1. Black woman writes novel.
2. Another man writes a screen play with similar but original ideas.
3. Man works for big company and movies make 2.5 billion dollars.
4. Black woman is disgruntled because only the publishing company made any money on her book.
5. She comes up with the idea of cashing in on a claim of copyright infringement.
6. Woman hires lawyer in hopes she will get settlement out of court betting that big company will not call her bluff.
7. Court day finally comes which she hoped would never happen.
8. She never shows up because her case was fabricated and has no chance of winning.
9. Judge dismisses court case.
10. Liberal sees a good story about opressed black woman being used by big business so he fabricates an alternate outcome of the court case and writes misleading articles for a "good cause".

jeric_synergy
11-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Why is it necessary to specify "black woman"? Why not "woman", or "writer"? ---Oh i see, you've got an b.s. truthy ax to grind. Whatev.

Oedo 808
11-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Why is it necessary to specify "black woman"? Why not "woman", or "writer"? ---Oh i see, you've got an b.s. truthy ax to grind. Whatev.

See number 10 in the scenario list, it is who the player is in the final act that makes the sex and ethnicity of the writer so pertinent.

stiff paper
11-24-2013, 04:17 PM
1. Black woman ...
2. Another man...
The contrast between unspecified man and black woman stinks.

To be clear, just in case you genuinely can't work this out: any objective analysis of this story must perforce conclude that neither the gender nor race of the participants is relevant, given that neither fact affects in any way the motivations, actions, meanings or outcome. And yet, plainly, in your frothing little mind it's very important that everybody should know it's not just A WOMAN doing wrong to A MAN, but even worse than that is that it's a BLACK WOMAN doing wrong to A MAN. A man who is unspecified because he's white.

http://freedictionary.org/?Query=racism
http://freedictionary.org/?Query=misogyny

By gosh you're right. From now on we should all try to do as much evil as possible, because trying ones very best to do the wrong thing is TRUTH.

All the evidence points to you being a fool.

shrox
11-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Texas....

PabloMack
11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Did any of you people even read the article?

shrox
11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Did any of you guys even read the article?

Because where I live in California, software would have corrected your statement to read, "A gender and race neutral person contributed to the zeitgeist ", or some disambiguation like that.

Chuck
11-25-2013, 04:07 PM
With Terminator... wasn't that stolen from, er... based on Harlin Ellison's work? At least that is what his payout was for. As well as the "producers wish to acknowledge the work of..." card at the end of the movie...
Either she's much older than it would seem, or else... I'm just saying...

Yes, Terminator was Ellison, and you are remembering correctly on the acknowledgement that was added to the credits.

Chuck
11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

No element of the story or the resulting discussion contains anything that even remotely implies the concept in your statement. You are coming not out of left field but out of the freeway two miles over from the stadium and headed the opposite direction on this one.

Here's one possible scenario:

10. Liberal sees a good story about oppressed black woman being used by big business so he fabricates an alternate outcome of the court case and writes misleading articles for a "good cause".

Again, there's nothing in the story to indicate this is what happened. A student writer for a community college newspaper misunderstood the result of a court case and wrote an incorrect article, for which a correction note was later published, no doubt with all due embarrassment on the part of the student and the paper's editorial staff.

As noted in the moderation policy post at the top of this forum section:

The following items are not considered professional or civil discourse allowed on these forums:

Off-topic and controversial subjects such as Religion and Politics

So, please refrain from injecting politics into the forum conversation in future.

Chuck
11-25-2013, 04:36 PM
The contrast between unspecified man and black woman stinks.

To be clear, just in case you genuinely can't work this out: any objective analysis of this story must perforce conclude that neither the gender nor race of the participants is relevant, given that neither fact affects in any way the motivations, actions, meanings or outcome. And yet, plainly, in your frothing little mind it's very important that everybody should know it's not just A WOMAN doing wrong to A MAN, but even worse than that is that it's a BLACK WOMAN doing wrong to A MAN. A man who is unspecified because he's white.

http://freedictionary.org/?Query=racism
http://freedictionary.org/?Query=misogyny

By gosh you're right. From now on we should all try to do as much evil as possible, because trying ones very best to do the wrong thing is TRUTH.

All the evidence points to you being a fool.

As I noted, the conclusions are not implied by anything in the article and politicizing the discussion was inappropriate on the part of PabloMack. No conclusions other than that are appropriate, and the ad hominem in your final comment is also contrary to forum policy. Please state your disagreements with others strictly in terms of the logic and reasoning, and don't take the discussion to the level of personal insults.

Oedo 808
11-25-2013, 08:48 PM

I didn't, my comment was purely based on your plot points. I'm all for equal opportunities, except for liberals, even though I'd probably be a Democrat if I were in the US, maybe.

Whether your version is true or not I couldn't say and really I'm none too bothered, I just felt the antagonist in your story was the liberal doing what liberals do. If so, it made the following comments quite ironic. I thought in the story that gender and race were entirely pertinent to the villainous motive of the liberal antagonist, which was to champion the cause and to be the saviour of the oppressed and to enjoy self-righteousness irrespective of what was actually going on, a bit like that which this thread has turned into, hence the irony. He could not achieve this if the character in plot point 1 was a white male, that's what makes the character's race and gender crucial to the story.

It may be that the plot points do not bear out what actually happened as has been suggested, just that regardless of this, it seems more like an attack on this guy for being liberal, and whether some might suspect the motives for that attack are because he is champion to a black female, it would still be veiled enough not to warrant the subsequent panty twisting.

I don't want to appear too political as Chuck has warned, just didn't want to be left looking too "Yeehaw" following my earlier comment, if you take my stereotypical meaning.

shrox
11-25-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rrhC5yF-LA

PabloMack
11-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I didn't, my comment was purely based on your plot points. I'm all for equal opportunities, except for liberals, even though I'd probably be a Democrat if I were in the US, maybe.

Thank you Oedo for your thoughtful evaluation. I didn't intend my hypothetical scenario to bring a knee-jerk reaction. I thought others might be inspired to post alternative hypothetical versions of the story. After all, no movie is ever 100% true to reality. Had this forum software not taken away the editing option so soon I would have improved my scenario and grammar a bit (if not deleting my post completely) after discovering that the "L Word" might have triggered some name-calling. But Chuck is right. I mistakenly assumed that "General Discussion" was the place for "off topic" discussion. I guess by "General" it still means NewTek-related. But then, the original post was off-topic in that sense. In any case, my statements were never directed to anyone in particular. They were meant to be hypothetical. If the exercise in hypothetical plot variation is offensive to anyone then I withdraw my post. Like you, I am in favor of "equal opportunity" but not "equalization enforcement". People value and are a lot more responsible for what they work for (given the opportunity to demonstrate they are worthy of it) than what is handed to them.

Chuck
11-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I mistakenly assumed that "General Discussion" was the place for "off topic" discussion. I guess by "General" it still means NewTek-related.

Not mistaken, the area is for off-topic discussion, just not to include politics and religion, or marketing for other products.

I think it's probably time for another review among the moderators on the editing time allowance, thank you for bringing that up. I think the issues that made the change seem necessary may no longer be a problem.

dickbill
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Texas....

Whadyamean ?

bazsa73
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM

nope

shrox
11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Whadyamean ?

I been lured twice to dead end venues in Texas. Never again! I did like the USS Hornet, the aquarium and museum in Corpus Christi though.

I was even flown out to MicroProse for an interview a week before they closed.

dickbill
11-27-2013, 01:16 PM
I been lured twice to dead end venues in Texas. Never again! I did like the USS Hornet, the aquarium and museum in Corpus Christi though.

I was even flown out to MicroProse for an interview a week before they closed.
Yes and Dallas had the famous Ensemble Studios, authors of the still famous Age of Empires series, they're closed too now, if I am not wrong.
Also, Dallas is the inventor of the 'bad guy that everybody likes' concept, i.e, JR. Ewing.
Hey Shrox, I watched this mars Movie with Zubrin, with you at the end in the credits for the 3d models. Good job.

shrox
11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Yes and Dallas had the famous Ensemble Studios, authors of the still famous Age of Empires series, they're closed too now, if I am not wrong.
Also, Dallas is the inventor of the 'bad guy that everybody likes' concept, i.e, JR. Ewing.
Hey Shrox, I watched this mars Movie with Zubrin, with you at the end in the credits for the 3d models. Good job.

Really? Can you post a link? I did a lot with Zubrin and McKay about 10 years ago.

dickbill
11-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I think it was on Netflix

shrox
11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it was on Netflix

Was it Mars Underground?

dickbill
11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, with Zubrin at the end who said he's sure ' the political inertia will be overcome and it's gonna be done'. I wonder if he is still so sure.

shrox
11-27-2013, 01:44 PM
This is really old but fun. I need to redo it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFZXYUuLqQ

dickbill
11-27-2013, 01:50 PM
good one too

Chuck
12-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Well, threads always go off topic, but I must say it's a first when one ends up going to Mars. :)

dickbill
12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
well, no, it's just that I tend to watch the credits for the CG effects at the end of the movies now, to see if there's something/somebody I know and I saw 'shrox' at the end of this one. shox shrox...that name tells me something....of course!
They never mention the softwares they used though.

shrox
12-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Hurray Mars! 2.5 billion dollars could get us there, plenty of engineers available.

I didn't do the animation, the rover at the end looks like mine.

dickbill
12-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Hurray Mars! 2.5 billion dollars could get us there, plenty of engineers available.
You must be ironic about Mars. So even if a mission was reevaluated at around 45-55 billion dollars, this doesn't mean anything anymore.
For example, you must know that the Fed Bank is printing 85 billions $ a Month!
That's enough to fund one 'semi-direct' mission to Mars every month. Some say it's not the 'same' money, like the $ I owe to the bank and the $ the bank print are not the same? ...weird.
About the 'plenty of engineers' now, I could argue that's also not true, but that will be off topic again. So in short, Mars is dead. It's never been so dead than now and is deader every passing days. I hope Zubrin knows that.