PDA

View Full Version : Plugins primary problem

RT-4-777
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Greetings, pros and newbies alike! I have been adding plugins to Lightwave (both Modeler and Layout) and have been able to get them to work. The one thing I do not know is how to keep the plugins from disappearing after I shut down the program. I am using Lightwave version 10.1, perhaps that may help. Also, I haven't seen any other threads with this problem addressed. Cheers!

Join the Rebellion!

spherical
11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a write permissions issue. Are the config files being written to at the timestamp of when you closed the applications?

RT-4-777
11-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a write permissions issue. Are the config files being written to at the timestamp of when you closed the applications?

I tried to save a config file, and that does seem to be the problem. I do not know which one to replace, I saved a new one, but that config file wouldn't load the next time I opened Layout or Modeler. Where should I save it to?

spherical
11-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Well then, this sounds like an install issue that resulted in a permissions problem. Is this a new install or has it been running okay for some time and now doesn't save its configs.

I tried to save a config file, and that does seem to be the problem. I do not know which one to replace, I saved a new one, but that config file wouldn't load the next time I opened Layout or Modeler. Where should I save it to?

This doesn't make sense. Are you trying to manually create a config? Doesn't work that way. LW writes its own configs & some of them can be pretty complex. Yes, you can edit them sometimes but normally this is not needed. Even then, editing is done to a config that LW already wrote. If you "don't know where to save it to", then you aren't editing a file that LW will ever read.

Depending upon the OS (you're in General Support, not PC or Mac, so I don't know which you are running or which version, as it wasn't specified in your post. Taking a chance that you are on Windows 7 or 8, configs will be found in: %systemdrive%\Users\[your_user]\.NewTek\LightWave\10.x

RT-4-777
11-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Well then, this sounds like an install issue that resulted in a permissions problem. Is this a new install or has it been running okay for some time and now doesn't save its configs.

This doesn't make sense. Are you trying to manually create a config? Doesn't work that way. LW writes its own configs & some of them can be pretty complex. Yes, you can edit them sometimes but normally this is not needed. Even then, editing is done to a config that LW already wrote. If you "don't know where to save it to", then you aren't editing a file that LW will ever read.

Depending upon the OS (you're in General Support, not PC or Mac, so I don't know which you are running or which version, as it wasn't specified in your post. Taking a chance that you are on Windows 7 or 8, configs will be found in: %systemdrive%\Users\[your_user]\.NewTek\LightWave\10.x

Thanks a bunch! I am on windows 7, and I do think messing with the configs is gonna land me in a world of trouble. If you have downloaded plugins, perhaps this question will assist me better, and waste less of your time...how do you get plugins into lightwave after downloading them?

spherical
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, I create a sub-directory, indicated in the example below by: [my_downloaded_plugins] under:

[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\

resulting in:
[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\[my_downloaded_plugins]\

Name [my_downloaded_plugins] whatever you will. I kept it short and named the sub-directory "3rd" for "third party".
In that sub-directory, I create sub-directories for groups of plugins based upon plugin author.

This allows the 3rd party plugins to remain where they are if a LW re-install happens. They are all still within the plugins location tree that is automatically scanned by LW, but are not able to be deleted by an uninstall. Anything under the above directory location will be scanned by LW and included; whether by automatic scan or by user-triggered scan.

I do a similar thing with LScripts under:

[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\scripts\LScript\[my_downloaded_lscripts]\

In that sub-directory, I create sub-directories for groups of LScripts based upon LScript author.

RT-4-777
11-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Well, I create a sub-directory, indicated in the example below by: [my_downloaded_plugins] under:

[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\

resulting in:
[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\[my_downloaded_plugins]\

Name [my_downloaded_plugins] whatever you will. I kept it short and named the sub-directory "3rd" for "third party".
In that sub-directory, I create sub-directories for groups of plugins based upon plugin author.

This allows the 3rd party plugins to remain where they are if a LW re-install happens. They are all still within the plugins location tree that is automatically scanned by LW, but are not able to be deleted by an uninstall. Anything under the above directory location will be scanned by LW and included; whether by automatic scan or by user-triggered scan.

I do a similar thing with LScripts under:

[LightWave_Install_Location]\support\plugins\scripts\LScript\[my_downloaded_lscripts]\

In that sub-directory, I create sub-directories for groups of LScripts based upon LScript author.

Thank you, this is just what I need! It sounds like you've got a good system going. One final question. After you add plugins into the window layout of the program, Lightwave just reverts back to its old layout once I close the program. After I just finished placing all the new tools in. I am guessing this has to do with the config files. Thank you for your help so far.

spherical
11-22-2013, 03:53 PM
After you add plugins into the window layout of the program, Lightwave just reverts back to its old layout once I close the program. After I just finished placing all the new tools in. I am guessing this has to do with the config files.

Changes that you make to the menus should remain after the application is closed. You can save a menu set up in the Edit Menus dialog, so that they can be loaded later, but the edits you make should still stick through a restart. So, it still appears that your configs aren't being written at application close.

RT-4-777
11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I agree, because all the video tutorials and documentation I have consulted do not speak of this problem, maybe re-installing lightwave will help. I will see what I can do about the config files not being written. Thank you again for your great assistance, I do not regret in any way joining these forums. You are the best, have a good day.

spherical
11-23-2013, 03:48 PM
When you re-install, do a complete uninstall first. Find the .NewTek folder under your User\[username] directory and delete it if it remains after the uninstall. If you saved any menus for re-loading, copy those to another location to preserve them before nuking the directory.

Temporarily disable software Firewall and Anti-virus applications.

Go to the installer File Properties and select Run As Administrator. Best to be logged into an Administrator account when installing but this assures that the installer itself has the required permissions to do what it needs to do.

RT-4-777
11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Much thanks, I have re-installed and it works perfectly now. I sure can't wait to upgrade to 11.6, or the next one when it comes out. Good day,

RT

spherical
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Good you got a positive result. When you move up to 11.6, follow the same procedure. Don't install over the existing version. In fact, I have 7 versions concurrently installed; just for times when I have to go back to a scene that was created in an older version and match the output. So, you would be better off if you installed 11.6 in its own directory. These later versions keep their config files separated by default, so there's not the need to do it with a command line switch in a shortcut like we used to.