PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Frozen - A Material Point Method For Snow Simulation

skype6
11-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Great stuff!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1gRQ6S7gg#t=115

erikals
11-21-2013, 02:34 PM
looks good http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

stobbs
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Amazing - not just the way particles stick together but the dynamics as well..

prometheus
11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
cool...but I think we will have enough of the real thing, within a couple of days I suspect.

Michael

safetyman
11-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Disney animation is really doing some good stuff the last couple of years. I watched Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph and I felt both were at least as good as anything (animation-wise) as Pixar has ever done. I realize Disney/Pixar are basically the same studio, but those two movies weren't touted as Pixar-created films, and they had the same Disney-esque animation feel as the classic cell-shaded stuff that Disney is known for. Pixar lately has fallen short IMO (Brave, Cars 2). I'm not trashing Pixar by any means -- just saying that I enjoyed the last couple of "Disney Animation" films much much more than the last few "Pixar" films.

bazsa73
11-22-2013, 08:49 AM
I dont know, that snow is way too wet for my taste. Snow is great when it's really freezing outside.

erikals
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
yes, quite wet snow, but still like it, hope they modify it later on to be more dry...

dsol
11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
That's amazing stuff. Really convincing looking snow. Would love to be able to do stuff like this in LW, but we need to get basic physics nailed there first. The 11.x implemention is decent but basic - and we need unification for things like particles and (ideally) rigs. Softbody dynamics are def a bit on the flakey side for me too - and a pain to set up.
EDIT: but I still really like the LW bullet implementation!

injacphi
11-22-2013, 10:28 AM
It's really amazing!!! If someone has any idea of how it is done, just go and tell us how.... :)

robertoortiz
11-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Disney developed a new simulation solver dubbed Matterhorn. Disney Research in Zurich even got involved in the development. Matterhorn allowed the animators to control parameters in order to create fresh snow, wet snow or sticky snow. I saw it a SIGGRAPH and it was freaking amazing.