PDA

View Full Version : Eeek! CPU Died! Any AMD suggestions for a LW power user?

DonJMyers
11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
A fan blade broke off my cpu fan, it got bad vibrations. when I tried to remove it the thermal paste had fused the AMD Phenom II x 6 core proc to the fan base. Great now I can't put it back on. And that proc is no longer made.

I should have just broken off an opposing fan blade to balance it. Oops.

Anyone have suggestions for a good AMD processor or mobo combo? Budget $400-$500 if necessary. It's all a tax write off anyway.

I kept this one cool and it has lasted 3+ years which is pretty good as LW renders burned out previous poorly cooled mobos of mine.

But since I had it for so long I have no idea what is going on in the CPU/mobo space for AMD.

Before I go to Fry's Electronics and stumble around does anyone have suggestions?

It MUST be AMD as I am not going to reinstall windows for an Intel proc.

On the other hand I hear intel is faster now. Would it be worth it to switch and redo all of windows?

JonW
11-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Have you looked at the Benchmark Marbles thread. It will give you some idea of CPU performance.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133251-11-5-s-BenchmarkMarbles-lws-share-your-machine-s-render-time-here

jaf
11-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Guess it depends on what you want to spend. I don't have too much invested in my system (signature) and I really like my cooling system -- no fan on the cpu!

Yes, the Intels are faster but you do pay a price.

DonJMyers
11-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Have you looked at the Benchmark Marbles thread. It will give you some idea of CPU performance.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133251-11-5-s-BenchmarkMarbles-lws-share-your-machine-s-render-time-here

unfortunately that listing features lots of discontinued hardware just like my CPU.

-EsHrA-
11-21-2013, 08:18 AM
if you want amd,
AMD FX 8350 Black Edition - 4GHz - Socket AM3+
is the best bang for the buck at around $170.

mlon

dickbill
11-21-2013, 08:25 AM
My old system was running on an AthlonX2 3600 and the benchmark marble took more than 20 hours of rendering. That was an evaluation since in reality I gave up the rendering after 7 hours with only 30% done.
When I decided to upgrade, I thought that this CPU benchmark obsession was somewhat irrelevant. Either you got a system that can render one frame in a few minutes to stay within the acceptable limits of a movie rendering, or you don't really care if you render still images. But if your goal is animation, there is no point to invest in a very expensive CPU, if the render time is still around 30 minutes, which you may get with a top notch Intel CPU/system$$$$$.
For a 2 minutes animation: 30minutesx24x60x2=60 days of rendering!
Instead, for an animation, the way to go would be with Octane or some farm rendering. So I choose to go cheap on a AMD CPU: a FX-6 6300 3.5 ghz that I got for less than a $100 at Frys. The marble benchmark dropped around 1 hour. Way too much for an animation, but that was expected. I also pay attention to the power requirement: 95W vs 125W for more powerful CPU, as power supply may be more important than the CPU brute force, especially if you want to run 2 videos cards.
Indeed, I also upgraded my old 96 CUDA video card to a 960 CUDA GTX660 and it turned out that my 600W power supply was not enough anymore. I had to get a 1000W+ power supply, that was another $200, twice more than for the CPU!
So the power supply turned out to be more critical than the CPU. At these high wattage, there is nothing cheap and modern powerful video cards require it anyways, especially if you intend to run more than one.
Think about that.
Don't go too expensive on the CPU, you're fine with AMD, but you can't cut on the power supply. Actually I regret I didn't get a 1200W...almost $300.

ecsegar
11-21-2013, 08:44 AM
try tigerdirect.com, you can often get good deals on AMD cpus and mobos.

Danner
11-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I do beleive AMD has good deals and you can build a cost effective 3d workstation but I would not close the door on reinstalling windows. After 3 years of abuse your system would probably run better on a fresh windows install.

DonJMyers
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I do beleive AMD has good deals and you can build a cost effective 3d workstation but I would not close the door on reinstalling windows. After 3 years of abuse your system would probably run better on a fresh windows install.

Yes that was exactly what I was in the process of doing when the fan blade broke! Oh the irony!

- - - Updated - - -

if you want amd,

mlon

Thanks so much. Yes my current mobo is AM3 but I am told am3+ is not compatible so I would need a new mobo.

DonJMyers
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't go too expensive on the CPU, you're fine with AMD, but you can't cut on the power supply. Actually I regret I didn't get a 1200W...almost $300.

Oh my power supply is strong as I have a monster system with two nivida cards and 6 drives on raids.

But you are right I would never do renders that that long. Mostly I am currently doing 1080p renders for HD video that take about 30 seconds to one minute per frame. I keep the animations simple. Or I wait an hour for a single fancy image.

For me the expense of a computer meltdown hasn't been the power supply is has been the ram.

I would line up a cpu/mobo combo then look at ram prices and ... geez ... that was were the real expense was. I'd like to keep using my current ram which is 1600mhz ddr3.

And if, dear readers, all this sounds like tech gibberish to you, then you'll understand why I, a computer doctor, need help with what is going on in tech after ignoring it only 3 years. It all changes like crazy every 18 months. aka Moore's law

- - - Updated - - -

try tigerdirect.com, you can often get good deals on AMD cpus and mobos.

Yes I like them too. Also use Newegg.com or I go to Fry's to talk to the experts.

JonW
11-21-2013, 11:40 AM
My old system was running on an AthlonX2 3600 and the benchmark marble took more than 20 hours of rendering. That was an evaluation since in reality I gave up the rendering after 7 hours with only 30% done.

As each AA pass is done it gets increasingly quicker. At 7 hours for 30% it probably would have taken another hour for the remainder. Each pass at the end is quick.

dickbill
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
For me the expense of a computer meltdown hasn't been the power supply is has been the ram.

I had to go AM3+ MoBo too and, somebody correct me if I am wrong, but ddr3 1600Mhz is the max AMD can take even on AM3+. So you can keep your ram or add more.

JonW
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Do you really need 1200 watts. My dual W5580 CPU (130 watts per CPU) box uses about 500 watts when rendering according to my UPS.

I had to go AM3+ MoBo too and, somebody correct me if I am wrong, but ddr3 1600Mhz is the max AMD can take even on AM3+. So you can keep your ram or add more.

Than would be handy if it is the case! But it could be false economy trying to use the old ram if you are limited to a MB for an older CPU.

DonJMyers
11-22-2013, 12:05 PM
if you want amd,

mlon

I took your advice and bought that proc with Fry's recommending an MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard.

Fry's in LA is a long annoying trip to the burbank airport but it is worth it as their CPU workers really know their stuff. Random workers there probably were living in a ditch in Columbia the week before but the tech people are very knowledgeable.

Losing your CPU is bad but losing a RAID controller on the motherboard is the WORST. A whole raid could be gone. Fortunately since I stuck with AMD I just set the BIOS to "RAID" and my raid came back perfectly!

Big forehead wipe there! I had it almost all backed up but who wants to spend a day putting terrabytes back??

DonJMyers
11-22-2013, 03:38 PM

It ran the benchmark in 1 hour 48 min.

dwburman
11-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Last I looked into it (about when the 8350 came out) the higer end Intels were faster than the higher end AMDs, but the numbers evened out a bit when you compared them based on price at which point you're comparing a AMD 8350FX to a a 4 core i5.

I don't know if that's still the case or if I was even right then. :) Your computer rendered that scene about 18 minutes faster than my 2 year old i7 2600.

dickbill
11-23-2013, 07:13 PM
2h34m42s with the Fx6 6300

sami
11-23-2013, 08:59 PM
if you're still looking for your AM3 mobo: I upgraded my old htpc with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 and it runs very fast (for what it is and happily chews through fps for my PS2 emulator running at 4x res which requires alot of cpu grunt)

EDIT: nevermind I see you got one already...

-EsHrA-
11-24-2013, 04:25 AM
hey nice one!
those are respectable times you've got there.
beating the much more expensive 3770 in most cases
and closing the gaps with the 4770.

mlon

PabloMack
11-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Have you tried applying continuous pressure with something like a scalpel blade over several minutes? Sometimes these things aren't as permanent as you would think. I have pried loose things before that would break if you expected immediate results. But with less pressure, the material moves slowly on a microscopic scale. Just be careful that the scalpel doesn't stab you when if finally gives way. The CPU is still good, is it not?

dickbill
11-25-2013, 08:07 AM
OK, now you want to make an animation with these marbles. What do you do?

BeeVee
11-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Hey Don,

I'm still using the same mobo (MSI 890FXA-GD70) I had for my Phenom II 1100T for my FX-8350. There's not much difference in processor speed, which is disappointing (even given the 8350's 4 GHz clock) and the 8350 doesn't overclock so well. I just bought a new motherboard for it in case it'll work better (Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3), but at least it runs nice and cool - I usually hover around 11 C (51.8 F) when I'm just using the machine and about 30-35 C (86-95 F) when rendering.

B

Danner
11-25-2013, 01:45 PM
OK, now you want to make an animation with these marbles. What do you do? You would need to optimize the render at the sacrifice of some quality, or it would be quite expensive on the electricity alone. I rendered it out as 2650x1440 and used it as a wallpaper for a while. I can't remember how long it took, I just left it overnight.

BeeVee
11-27-2013, 06:01 AM
The scene is *designed* to take a long time to render. You can optimise it quite severely so that it renders in ten minutes with no loss of quality, but that's not the point of the scene... ;)

B