PDA

View Full Version : Elephant with Genoma :-?

circleofsmoke
11-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Looks so easy in Linos demo but to a rigging rookie it pretty tough - trying to rig an elephant to do some very simple moves but having trouble adding the head and trunk tried various things such as the spline, build a complete chain of fks but its not happening in a predicatble way - tried the tentacle spline idea

definitely going in circles after losing several hours discovering the genoma make rig bug in layout

any suggestions? getting a bit desperate which is never good!

RebelHill
11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
There's a genoma giraffe in my rigging tuts... kinda similar, similar parts at least.

Tbh though, I wouldnt bother with using genomas spines for the trunk.. you're limited to a fixed number of joints and they only offer very basic control. Much easier to just set up the rest of the body and then add the trunk on manually afterwards, for which, spline control is the best option...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCVneRb141I

circleofsmoke
11-20-2013, 12:27 PM
maybe its not so hard - I'm feeling better!

circleofsmoke
11-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks RH
this is actually my first ever rig so Im in at the deep do-do end - I swallowed the "BAM glue a leg on the head of your enemy" line in Lino's demo - LOL
I would have bought your tutorials today but I just didnt have time to watch enough and I'm tired of patching things together - after this elephant has danced into the distance - Im going to buy your tutorials and become a rigging ninja.

The genoma spline is working after a fashion :) but If I get time I will set up a custom spline

Your comment re genoma being just a rigging tool helped me start untangling the mess I got into thinking it was an automated system

Thanks

John

RebelHill
11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Well... genoma IS automated... just not particularly well (imo)... But that aside, ANY autorigger can largely be thought of as just a rigging tool (of a fashion) and any which way you cut it, you will get more out of any such tool (and navigate around problems easier) if you understand the basic principles that any rig is built upon.

circleofsmoke
11-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I agree - I generally find my students (graphics-not 3D!) get stuck by not appreciating the simple fundamentals which is why Im planning to dig deep after this debacle is over

Ryan Roye
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
The idea behind Genoma is modular rigging that lets you set up basic constraints and null-controlled setups without having to do much in Layout. The only real downsides to it lie in the fact that it is a destructive workflow... as in anything you build in layout, facial rigs, expression setups, etc, that isn't creatable in Genoma gets destroyed when updating, making it necessary to save out some extra files in order to take advantage of the workflow. While not the main issue to everyone, this is the thing that is keeping me from using Genoma at all in my workflow because I don't really like extra files and bulking up my file folders with pieces of my characters that shouldn't have to be separated from the rig.

IKBooster is about the closest you'll ever get to a fully functional autorigger that works on anything you throw at it (for bipeds/quadrapeds, RH's tools are about as close as it gets), but even then it is a choice between placing bones and having the "setup" automated, and having to position everything to adapt it to the character. The style of animation for IKB is also different from the rest of LW, so it works for some people, and doesn't for others. I think a true "autorigging" solution would require volumetric scanning or some other geometry detection; something no one has come up with yet for Lightwave to my knowledge.

circleofsmoke
11-22-2013, 03:16 AM
managed to break genoma completely to the point where a reinstall was required - still going slightly nuts though, looking at a lot of the videos there seems to be discrepancies in selection methods. I'm on a mac and just worked out I'm not getting the selection benefits of a three button mouse! haven't found a keyboard equivalent of the middle mouse yet