PDA

View Full Version : Removing empty layers in Modeler

Fernee
11-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Maybe this is an easy one, but I never needed to do this: I have an object with a couple of hundred Layers, and Iīm editing it, but ending with a bunch of empty layers,
is there a scrpt to delete the empty ones, and move up the ones that actually have geometry?
...and maybe keep the names on the containing layers?
I want to KEEP the objects in their respective layers, not merge them in a single one (that would be easy)...
Thanks for any advice you can share!

nickdigital
11-19-2013, 01:42 PM
This?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135267-Removing-or-Defragging-Gaps-in-Layers

Fernee
11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks Nickdigital, unfortunatelly the scrpts mentioned there wonīt work anymor, maybe those are old and canīt run in 11.6...
They also mention to manually delete layers in Modeler, but I canīt find how to do that!
Any other suggestions???

shrox
11-19-2013, 02:51 PM
The "home" key deletes the current layer, it can be undone.

The "insert" key adds a layer before the current layer.

colkai
11-20-2013, 05:16 AM
My memory ain't what it was, but I'm sure there used to be some form of "collapse" layers that did this, but I can't seem to locate it anymore. As Shrox says, you can delete layer, laborious, but it will work, plus it will retain your layer names as they as shifted along.

EDIT: A-ha, found it, part of Kevmans LayerTools, the script called, lyr_cleargaps.ls - It isn't 100% successful, it left one empty layer on my test object, but it did work. Make sure you run it on a copy of your object though as I ran it with all layers selected and it didn't seem to behave as well as if you run it with nothing selected, though it doesn't seem to care which layer you are in when you run it.
If you do not have it, I presume it will be ok for me to upload as I cannot find the plugin online anywhere anymore. It is an old one, (circa 2004), but still works.

Fernee
11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks Colkai, could you share this one? I will appreciate it....

colkai
11-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Ok, presuming this is acceptable, moderators please delete if not.

erikals
11-21-2013, 05:53 AM
yeah, page seems to be down...

instruction >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSFsJyRDbaM

colkai
11-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Clearnames, would remove any layer names you may have, so use with extreme caution.