PDA

View Full Version : Problem getting LW to recognise 3DConnexion SpaceMouse

inkpen3d
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I've just got myself a 3D Connexion SpaceMouse (the Wireless version) and installed it on my PC using the latest software/drivers from the manufacture's web site. The device works fine with the supplied training/demo software and I can use it to scroll pages in the Chrome browser or a PDF, so I am reasonably confident that the device is working correctly.

However, when I try using it in LightWave, both Modeler and Layout do not see the SpaceMouse as a Nav device. For example, in Layout the Preferences=>Nav=>Device dropdown menu just shows (none). Interestingly though, the Virtual Studio Device Manager HID does list the SpaceMouse (as Generic SpaceMouse Wireless Receiver) and the various listed values change as I move the SpaceMouse knob or press its buttons.

I have hit a brick wall here - I have even resorted to uninstalling/re-installing the SpaceMouse software and device drivers, and also using the supplied USB cable instead of the wireless receiver, all to no avail. :(

Does anyone know how to force LW to recognise the SpaceMouse as a valid Nav device? Otherwise, I've got a rather nice looking high tech paperweight sitting on my desk!

Thanks in advance.

Peter

inkpen3d
11-20-2013, 04:35 AM
I've had a few email exchanges with Deuce Bennett at NT tech support and it turns out that 3DConnexion have changed drivers, model numbers and hardware ID codes in the new devices, which has rendered NT's implementation useless.

They are currently working with 3DConnexion to rectify the problem and hopefully will have a fix incorporated into the next version of LW.

I guess that a corollary of all this is that if you are thinking of updating the drivers for your 3DConnexion device, you might want to make sure you have a copy of the old installer to hand in case things go pear-shaped!

Regards,
Peter

lardbros
11-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the warning! I won't be updating my drivers that's for sure!

Hopefully Newtek will be able to implement something that won't cause it to break, if something radical like this changes in the future!?

Markc
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
3DConnexion devices have never worked properly in LW (there are a number of threads regarding this).
I only use mine in 3D Coat.