PDA

View Full Version : fiberFx CRASH CRASH CRASH...11.6

Ranmor
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I've recently upgraded or rather purchased 11.5 then upgraded to 11.6. I need to add fur to an object with multiple layers and surfaces. I've used fiberfx in LW9 ...8 etc. 2 of the layers have morph maps. Every time I use the fiberfx to add fur, it crashes. also no matter what surface I am on when I toggle back and forth between surfaces in FFX the settings are identical even after I edit them. and it Crashes continually. Does anybody have a solution as to how to fix this or heard of any similar bugs.
Thanks

Kryslin
11-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Is it possible to post the scene, or if constrained by a NDA, a sample scene that causes the same problem?

I can think of a couple dozen ways to crash FFX off hand, without even getting into problems with degenerate geometry...

Danner
11-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Couple dozen ways? I'd like to know a few of those... Gonna need to use FFX on a project and a minefield map could come in handy.

Ranmor
11-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Here is the scene I am using, although I've done additional tests with real basic models and FiberFX performs the same way. 118269118270

Dodgy
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Works perfectly for me... have you tried clearing your configs and starting from scratch?

jeric_synergy
11-19-2013, 07:20 PM
I can think of a couple dozen ways to crash FFX off hand, without even getting into problems with degenerate geometry...
AND you've told LW3DG about every one of them, yes? :crossedfingers:

Greenlaw
11-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm with Dodgy on that one--if you didn't do so when you installed the final version of 11.6, you need to delete and rebuild your configs. Not doing so after using a bunch of public beta releases is asking for a whole bucket of troubles.

G.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2013, 08:06 PM
I believe I know but: what are the steps to "rebuilding the configs"?

I'd expect:

turn off LW, LWM, and the HUB;
hunt down and kill all files of the form "LW*.cfg"- kill them, Kill Them, KILLLLL THEMMMMM!;
Restart LW & LWM;
SCAN all pertinent plugin directories for both configs;
SET preferred Menu/Button preferences;
QUIT both applications;
just to be safe, RESTART the computer;
check functionality.

Am I close, coach?

Greenlaw
11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
It's easy. Just a little tedious.

First, save any custom menu settings from the Menu Setup. You'll want to do individual branches if you created any, not the entire menu settings. You might want to do the same for Keyboard Shortcuts settings.

Then, quit LightWave (Layout and Modeler.) Make sure the Hub is off too, if you're using it.

Go to wherever you keep your configs. By default, this is in the Users .NewTek directory. (On Win anyway, not sure on Mac.) Delete the main .cfg files, including LW11-64.CFG, LWEXT-64.CFG, LWM11-64.CFG, and LWHUB-64.CFG. (Just to be safe, back these up before deleting.)

Launch Layout and Modeler. Scan plug-ins, choose your Menu and Shortcuts preferences, and set any other defaults you want. Quit LightWave and your new configs will be created.

Bonus: back up your new configs. I make copies of my configs whenever I change them--it saves a lot of time whenever I mess up the configs myself or when they otherwise get corrupted.

G.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2013, 09:40 PM
It's easy. Just a little tedious.
So, what I said, except to save one's own configs first.

Bonus: back up your new configs. I make copies of my configs whenever I change them--it saves a lot of time whenever I mess up the configs myself or when they otherwise get corrupted.
G.
Yep, I save a new one just for drill, with a date. It makes for a lot of files, but then I'll have incremental backups.

I never quite remember to save Branches though, and I should. Dumb of me.

Kryslin
11-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I believe most of my dozens of ways to kill FFX are the result of a loose nut between keyboard and chair, trying to have FFX do something it was never intended to do.

I've crashed FFX from the node editor, straight to desktop. Sometimes 3rd party nodes, sometimes straight vanilla lightwave.
I've crashed FFX using the openGL preview of fibers.
There's always the popular method of trying to duplicate your sasquatch settings in FFX. 1000% fur density will kill FFX , with an out of memory error (on a 24GB system, Win64).
Sometimes, there is no warning.

I believe many of them have already been fogged.

Next time I run across one, I'll remember to log it. Gee, this is beginning to look like work (log everything in, out, and between...)

All I can say when working with FFX is to save often, pray, and have your dead chicken ready...
(In reality, FFX has gotten more stable with every iteration, and it does do impressive work with long hair w/ guides. For procedural fur with a pattern... Not so good. The time hit alone at the star of the frame is a killer, as well as coverage issues, and generating a bias map based on simple parameters...)

jeric_synergy
11-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I believe many of them have already been fogged.
IMO it's always worthwhile to report, IF it's replicable.

I have no way of knowing, but non-replicable crashes and/or bugs just never seem to get addressed-- the devs will have to pick them up via forum chatter. BUT a replicable bug with sample files seems to get addressed pretty well.

Out of Memory crashes are ridiculous-- an app can FAIL, but it shouldn't CRASH. Can't it TEST for a out of memory situation? :devil:

It sounds like you have a lot of FFX experience, so please keep filing bug reports with sample files-- it's the only way it'll get better.