PDA

View Full Version : High res text plug in?

sublimationman
11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Is there a plug in to make high resolution text?

I do high resolution renders for advertising and the text generated by Lightwave has no setting for high resolution and always renders rather chunky especially curved surfaces like an extruded letter O. In the past I have created the text in another program, exported as AI and then imported into Lightwave but really this gets tedious and it would be nice if there were some plug in (Mac compatible) that could do this.

Thanks!

dsol
11-18-2013, 09:08 AM
3D text and vector logo creation (using illustrator or PDF files as sources) is an incredibly common use for 3D software, so a better 2D poly tesselator for LW would be very much welcomed. Particularly if it created nice evenly distributed tri meshes. A third party plugin would be lovely - but this is something that really should be built in, and ideally in a non-destructive context, so you can edit type afterwards - with bevelling/styling.

I know, I know. A man can dream, right? :)

Emmanuel
11-24-2013, 07:24 AM
I startd to use Blender for such things, consider it a plugin ;) It has much better text tools, and it has a remesh modifier that turns Your text object into a nice clean quadmesh for use with subdivision surfaces. Really good stuff.

raw-m
11-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I use C4d for text and export it. It has really nice and interactive capping/bevelling options, choice of tris, quads etc and creates text as you'd expect it to be created. By no means a plugin, though! Not a big fan of it otherwise.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2013, 12:05 PM
This is especially viable now that C4D lite comes w/AE(CC), so many forum users already have it.

Once again, time to PROTEST the ridiculous lack of text support in LWM-- it's incredibly rudimentary. If LW3DG intends to challenge other apps in the mograph field, they really need to step up their game in text support. Addressing the perennial "point crossing" issue in extrusions and bevels would be necessary too.

spherical
11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Addressing the perennial "point crossing" issue in extrusions and bevels would be necessary too.

+1

sublimationman
11-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Addressing the perennial "point crossing" issue in extrusions and bevels would be necessary too.

Yes, yes yes...

Cyberfish_Fred
11-25-2013, 05:03 AM
unbelievable, a lightwave forum, LW11.6 - 2013 technology

HD text options answers are - blender and C4D

What a world....

Lightwolf
11-25-2013, 07:26 AM
I do high resolution renders for advertising and the text generated by Lightwave has no setting for high resolution and always renders rather chunky especially curved surfaces like an extruded letter O.
Did you set your curve subdivisions to "High" in the Modeler options?
Cheers,
Mike

sublimationman
11-26-2013, 03:00 PM
It use to be that when you created text you had 3 choices of quality if I remember right. I don't see it anymore but event hen the highest was not good enough by a long way.

jeric_synergy
11-26-2013, 08:15 PM
::scratches head:: I remember different choices for importing *.ai files, but not for text. Another loss to Alzheimer's I guess. :(

The only 'advanced'-ISH options were "Sharp/Buffered" corners.

sublimationman
11-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Well my memory is shot so you are probably right ;-)

Rayek
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
I startd to use Blender for such things, consider it a plugin ;) It has much better text tools, and it has a remesh modifier that turns Your text object into a nice clean quadmesh for use with subdivision surfaces. Really good stuff.

+1 Blender has some quite nice non-destructive text tools. It even had manual kerning built-in long before the latest C4D's text tool version implemented it.

Being able to use any curve for beveling is also very convenient - bit awkward to set up initially, but very useful once you get used to it.

Alternatively, most people have Photoshop in their arsenal, which also does 3d text now *shudder*.