PDA

View Full Version : Clip maps

peteb
11-16-2003, 05:21 AM
I just can't seem to get clip maps to work properly. One thing that I find really annoying is the fact that you can't interact with them like you can with all the other surfaces. So for example when trying position a colour map you can see it update in the window, why can't we have that for the clip map. So instead I thought I'd place the clip map image in the colour map so I can see exactly where I want it, then copy the layer and paste it into the clip map instead. I'm using a UV as well so it should use exactly the same placing. Well to my suprise the clip map worked but was at the totally wrong angle to what the colour map I'd copied it from, why is this? Lightwave seems to want to get my back up the whole time when it comes to texturing. Maybe I've just got used to using in house software that does exactly what you want it to, but if you ask me the texturing side of Lightwave sucks big time. It's taking me over an hour to texture a leaf and I still haven't relsoved certain issues. Using our in house software it would have taking me 20secs. Maybe I just haven't got the hang of it but I can't see where I'm going wrong. I don't like kncoking Lightwave because for the modelling and rendering I think it's brillant but I really think they need to have a good hard look at the texture side of things.

peteb
11-16-2003, 05:51 AM
From what I can tell, clip maps and UV's don't work together, well sometimes they do but most of the time they don't I'm going to try and steer clear from UV's as I don't think they've been implemented very well at all. Instead I'm going to stick to the old fashioned way, annoying but at least I seem to get the results I want.

Wade
11-16-2003, 06:05 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1203

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4662&highlight=clip+map

Check out this second link may help!!!

peteb
11-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the links Wade. I too want the clip map available in model, I think it makes sense to treat it like all the other surface attributes. What I really don't understand is why Lightwave doesn't support 32 bit tga's, so that instead if having to go about making a separate black and white image and placing as an alpha layer, you could simply load your colour map with built in alpha. This would solve so much time. Clip maps are a pain because you can only have on or off so if you want a nice subtle transition you need to use transparency maps. This is a pain because you then have to apply an alpha image to bump and spec to stop the light hitting where it's not meant to. Plus like someone pointed out in one of those threads it won't render properly with shadows. I can't see any negative to using an alpha in an image, can anyone else?

I don't think the problem I have is what you suggest with the aa and pixel blending as what I was trying to do was a leaf with definite edges. Although saying that it might be why my clip map doesn't seem to be getting applied right on the petals of my rose. I'm using a pixel or two thick edges to try and get that torn effect. I'm using a brush not pencil so I'm getting blurred edges (I didn't think it would matter that much). Maybe because the pixels are so thin, they're just not showing up at all. I'll have a look into that