PDA

View Full Version : character/scene: harry

freakmoomin
11-16-2003, 04:16 AM
hey,
this is my first post here in newtek, so be gentle...

this is wee scene ive had ready for a while, just practicing my animation skills before i go and ruin my project by jumping in at the deep end.
just thought i'd post it and see if anybody has any comments or advice which could improve it before i begin my animation.

i was going for a simple 'child like' look! as if a kid has just made the objects from placticene or something......

cheers for viewing

;-)

freakmoomin
11-16-2003, 04:20 AM
close up!

;-)

cathuria
11-16-2003, 08:15 AM
First, another little reminder that the jpegs that come out of Layout are virtually uncompressed -- and they take forever to download on my poor, puny dial-up connection. It would save gobs of time & bandwidth if people would remember to re-save these images in their favorite 2D program with a little compression.
<Thanks for letting me rant all over your thread...:o >

But, ya know, most of the time I just have to pass on to another thread when I have to wait for a bunch of slow pictures like that... But I actually decided to wait for these because the tippy-tops of them looked so intriguing.
I really like the style here -- and the grass is ingenius. I do think, however, that the wrinkly texture on the character and the clouds actually detract from the models; they'd look a lot better with a simpler texture or even just plain-smooth.

Great work:)

liquidpope
11-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Hello, and welcome!

Very nice work.
I also think the textures are a little distracting, but the style is top shelf.
I especially like the grass, and the fact that the Sun and cloud objects are hanging on visible "wires". Super nice touch.
And Harry's an angry little guy, no?

So, with that said, great job! I'm sure we'd all like to see more.
Thanks for posting...

freakmoomin
11-16-2003, 05:25 PM
hey,

thanks for your reply's and comments.
the texture is a fingerprint bump map, In earlier renders i tried it without these textures but it just didnt look any good at all! the textures seemed to give it more life or something???

but ill take your comments on board and maybe have another look at the textures without the bump.

thanks again

kev

;-)

liquidpope
11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Yeah... fingerprint bump maps...
Dude, that's a darn-tootin' good idea!

Maybe AA wasn't set high enough, or maybe the map wasn't hi-res enough, maybe just too small?
Are you using a single map to try to do the finger "dent" as well as the finger "print", maybe?

I really hope you can pull that off, 'cause that would be super cool. We're all here to help, (well, most of us) so let us know how we can.

Good luck.

Jimbo

diablo1000000
11-17-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm SUCH a huge fan of that grass boy! It's great! :cool:

Keep us posted on how this scene goes, It looks really fun and funky. It reminds me a bit of Aardman animations.

T x

freakmoomin
11-17-2003, 05:15 PM
hey,

diablo1000000:
your right, i went for a kind af Aardman look, but tried to put my own spin on it, so not to completly rip it off, not sure if i succeded mind you..... ;-)

liquidpope:
the fingerprint res should be big enough and the AA was at enhanced medium, so they should be fine. as ive said i like the textures, but when you look at something for so long you begin to lose perspective and thats when i need to start listning to you guys! so next time i get a chance im going to try and strip the textures off and start on them again! (aaaaarrrrrgggggg i'm so crap at texturing, i hate it, every time i get to the textures i struggle)

again thanks for everyones encouragement and comments

;-)

liquidpope
11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Try this on for size...

Start with your model "naked". (One single flat color, no maps at all...)
Use your fingerprint map as a color map. Easy to see right away how to position and scale the bump map later.
I'm thinking the scale (the mapping size, in the texture panel) is too small.
I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

dwburman
11-18-2003, 04:35 AM
hmm.. I liked the thumbprint texture and wasn't keen on the grass... Maybe something's wrong with me :)

I like the look of it a lot. The lighting seems a little dark and harsh for a kids thing but overall I think it's cool.

Valter
11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Hey I love that scenery. Really cool. But I didn't like of model design.

cheers

Carbon71
11-19-2003, 10:09 AM
My 2 cents worth:

I Love the style! Keep the fingerprints, they just need to be more subtle. Better light will help. Speaking of which...

How are you lighting this? You need some kind of Global Illumination to really get the stopmotion clay look you're going for. I love that ardman stuff too and even though their models are simple (yet genius), the lighting is not. Watch "The Deadline" again. Using some kind of GI will make it feel a lot more real. If you don't have transparencies, you could fake it in a number of ways. Eki's overcaster is a great GI faker.
Also, look at www.boring3d.com . Again, very simple style Gi lighting to make it look real. He even uses some SSS (subsurface scattering) surfacing.

I'd love to see more renders with better lighting. Great Job!

Cheers,
Carbon

freakmoomin
11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
hey guys,

thanks for the replys again!

liquidpope:

tryed playing with the textures again, but no luck, about the only thing that seemed to do anything was making the prints a little more suttle! but not much difference (i think i hate texturing....)

dwburman:

i agree! the lighting is a little dark, i was trying to make it look like a kids thing yet not have it to cheery and easy on the eye..... i know its kind of contradicting myself, and im not entirely sure what to do!

Carbon71:

most of the lighting is simple 3 point stuff, and i do have interpolated radiosity on as well (although i excluded the clouds, because the bounce from the green grass was just spoiling the look of them!) my ambience is set at 0, i hate the thing. im not really bothered about it looking completly clay or anything, just to look a wee bit different. Im not really sure what you mean about " transparencies"??? what do you suggest i do to improve the lighting now you know a bit more?

p.s how cool is that boring3d thing

cheers much everyone

;-)