PDA

View Full Version : Instancing question

Philbert
11-12-2013, 06:38 PM
It's been a while since I've done any instancing so I may be forgetting things. I have an environment and I have a bush that I'd like to scatter around it. My first attempt was to pick the surface name for the dirt areas where I want to bush to go but The surface names drop down menu only shows surfaces for the bush object (branch, leaves, etc.), not the terrain object (grass, dirt, etc.). I just assumed it would list every Surface in the scene.

Another option for me wold be to manually place each instance since the area where they go is very specific. Clone Instance would do this fine but my bush is actually a hierarchy of objects (Thanks XFrog) and only the trunk part gets cloned. I might just end up merging all of those parts into one bush object.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kopperdrake
11-12-2013, 07:19 PM
You need to add the instancer to your ground object. From there you can then pick the appropriate surface you want populated. Still in instancer, you then add your bush - don't forget to click the little icon that looks like a right-angle - that tells instancer you want the child objects adding too.

If you still have problems let me know - I can talk you through it.

Philbert
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Ah! That makes perfect sense. I was adding it to the object i wanted to instance. It's always something simple in LightWave it seems!

kopperdrake
11-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Nice one :thumbsup: