PDA

View Full Version : Vimeo vs YouTube?

starbase1
11-12-2013, 08:06 AM
As Google is becoming ever more irritating in its search for complete world domination, (not to mention being thoroughly compromised by various secret police / spy organisations), I知 getting more and more tempted to just bail out of the whole lot of their services.

In this case I知 particularly thinking about YouTube which is now tightly locked into their (anti)social network.

So I知 looking at a paid for Vimeo account as an alternative to YouTube, the $60 a year option. (The free account seems much too limited for a busy CGI guy, even an amateur like me).

There痴 got to be others here who have tried the switch I figure, so how did you find it? Glad you moved? Any irritations?

Nick

Ryan Roye
11-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I've been wanting to leave youtube for a while... I even considered putting up streaming content on our website at one point but decided it wasn't a good idea to do on a 0.6 mbps internet connection. I'd also have to program my own system to automatically convert and upload the videos I make into various sizes which would be time consuming.

My irritation with vimeo is that it has fewer options for people with low bandwidth, and, like with most other video sites other than youtube, the video can only be viewed from start to finish... you don't get the option of skipping ahead in the video or sharing a specific part of something like with YouTube.

I've also tried DailyMotion was awful. Don't bother there.

If you do animated shorts and other similar completed productions, Newgrounds is a very good option to consider as it will yield decent exposure and the site in general is more focused on its users; quality work gets rewarded with additional exposure. Note that NG is only for completed projects, not tutorials or video blogs (though you can post news and stuff to people who "subscribe" to you through there).

Good luck in your search! And I would not mind at all a progress report or update in the matter, because you're not the only one fed up with YouTube.

djwaterman
11-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I got both, even the paid version of Vimeo doesn't play reliably or consistently across different browsers, quite annoyed by it with it's big play bar that can sometimes (or not) stay on while playing. It's not perfect yet for a service that you pay for, it still doesn't let me customize the player to the extent I'd like. The quality is better content wise but Youtube has a huge audience and Vimeo is for artsy types so the audience is small in comparison, although I just discovered a week ago that they now have some nude girl channels so perhaps they are starting the race to the bottom. Both services are good for just delivering video, and that's all I care about, Vimeo has a higher quality in the pro version but there's still compression and it can take a while to buffer sometimes under different situations where as YT is pretty stable that way.

Vimeo keeps promising that they will be doing more to make the player better, it's okay for your portfolio work and you could make channels with it and so forth. But YT is really king in terms of viewers, even if most of the highest hit content is people falling over, cat videos, or stuff recorded off television.

For $60 it's worth trying but you'll have your annoyances with it as well.

Um, they do have a pretty good team of people who will get back to you when you send them a message.

starbase1
11-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the observations.

I've had issues with YT playback it sometimes doesn't want to stop or start properly when full screen...

I'm not bothered by a smaller potential audience - frankly given the dumb nature of some comments, I wouldn't trust most of the audience on YouTube to sit the right way round on a toilet...

I've also had a ridiculous number of false take down notices on YouTube - I went to the effort and expense of getting myself smart sound / sonic fire pro, and sometimes, (no exaggeration) half a dozen different companies claim I'm using their music... And when I reject the claim, it's reinstated in seconds, (even if I provide order numbers etc for the licensed music), clearly automatic.

calilifestyle
11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Ok so you keep using Vimeo and YouTube But set up a Vidsy.tv profile and play you videos through their webplayer. So in this scenario Vimeo and YT are just video hosting .

bobakabob
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Vimeo is a pleasure to use. One great advantage is that you can replace a video and it won't change the feeds on other websites - a huge plus!

starbase1
11-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Vimeo is a pleasure to use. One great advantage is that you can replace a video and it won't change the feeds on other websites - a huge plus!

That does sound VERY handy! Good point, thanks!
Nick

glebe digital
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I swiched over to Vimeo when the 'Snowden thing' broke.......no regrets at all. The Vid replacement function is a real timesaver for updating showreels.

prometheus
11-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I recently a couple of minutes ago logged in to youtube, instantly got this requester to change my acount, this is sooo annoying, and I accendently changed to google plus which I donエt like or wanted..
this requester comes up just to often.

next minus for youtube, the UI has gone more worse than before, harder to find stuff, inbox, upload button..those are placed on strange places.
next minus for youtube, to much ad stuff.
next minus for youtube..conversion or recommended conversion changes gives poor quality.
next minus for youtube, searching of videos according to your search returns unrelated search results, bad..bad.
+ for youtube, people are there as opposed to vimeo so far.
+ for youtube, it loads up files faster than vimeo.

I prefer vimeo quality, vimeo UI, vimeo also seem to show up very fast in google search results if changes is done, donエt know if its better than youtube though.

starbase1
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
next minus for youtube, searching of videos according to your search returns unrelated search results, bad..bad.

You know, that's the one I >>REALLY<< don't understand!

It's the same with Google Play on Android, loads of rubbish and fakes come up.

How the **** did Google get to be so bad at SEARCH!
It's meant to be their corporate key competency!

starbase1
11-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I swiched over to Vimeo when the 'Snowden thing' broke.......no regrets at all. The Vid replacement function is a real timesaver for updating showreels.

I think you should go back to youtube, and post one last video, with a few key words like Al Quaeda, Bomb, beheading, and a video which just consists of the scrolling message "**** you! NSA"

prometheus
11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
You know, that's the one I >>REALLY<< don't understand!

It's the same with Google Play on Android, loads of rubbish and fakes come up.

How the **** did Google get to be so bad at SEARCH!
It's meant to be their corporate key competency!

I donエt know, maybe they introduced new search algorithms, and of course special ad algorithms and aiming searches pointing towards you, from which they earn the money, this simply brings search results to you which have some closeness to what you look for, but not exactly relevant and a lot of other junk.

I think these irrelevant search results showed up some months ago, which I directly shouted out on with surprise, especially here on the forums, looking for lightwave results gives a lot of non related 3d max results...so I really really wonder how that is, is there some hidden optimized words from those who made the 3d max words so they incorporated lightwave as search tag, in order to lure Lightwave users to max results?

Google has recently destroyed the picasa web album UI and switched to google plus, thus you canエt search as in the old ways, before you got a nice overviews over albums distributed over page indexes and good album previews, and they were sortable by date, now you can only sort by recent, and it stops at one page and canエt display older dates..and you get a much larger display over albums which makes the web browsing slower, and it is packed with social media info I really donエt care about.

Google also did a new search UI for searching images, with a new button called search tools, so you have to click on that to get to show sizes..that is double step clicks which are unnecessary, there is plenty of space above in the menu to have the show sizes directly acessable, it seems that the whole UI trend seem to go for hiding functions in drop down menus to make the first impression cleaner,
but for the user it also gives you harder time to find what you want and slower access.

The Ui of youtube is the same, it has been changed in a confusing way, hiding inbox and other tools.

Michael

prometheus
11-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Take a look at the youtube video manager, I was confused when they put the upload, then a drop down menu, stupid as I am, I first clicked on the drop down list, but I couldnエt find any upload options, instead there was the overview,analytics,and videomanager...why on earth put those there, the drop down list should be connected to the named button upload if there is any relations between them at all, or place it somewhere
else so your not confused, if the upload button was designed alone, I would simply click on that, but with a dropdown arrow list, I of course used that.
I find it unlogical to connect the tools in the drop down list to that of upload, so why?

Michael

Greenlaw
11-12-2013, 11:48 PM
I use both. I like Vimeo a lot except (as mentioned above) it has trouble with lower bandwidths. Being able to replace videos is a huge plus though. I also like that I can distribute password protected links to collaborators of our short film productions. Overall, Vimeo has the appearance of being a venue for 'professional' users.

I keep my two LGD YouTube accounts active because it casts a wider net for viewership and it's free. If it wasn't free, I'd be less willing to put up with the nonsense.

G.

bazsa73
11-13-2013, 12:29 AM
On vimeo the style is more civilized (and more snobbish) but at least it is devoid of youtube hater trolls
which are really annoying.
On the other hand youtube stuff gets to more people I think, crappy as it is but everybody knows youtube.
Vimeo is cool if you want to share your stuff with professionals and youtube is best for the masses.
That's my great wisdom. Have a nice day everybody.

prometheus
11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
On vimeo the style is more civilized (and more snobbish) but at least it is devoid of youtube hater trolls
which are really annoying.
On the other hand youtube stuff gets to more people I think, crappy as it is but everybody knows youtube.
Vimeo is cool if you want to share your stuff with professionals and youtube is best for the masses.
That's my great wisdom. Have a nice day everybody.

yes...that sums up the main factors to consider.

Michael