PDA

View Full Version : AE Multiplane in LW, items to only looks correct at specific angle?

raw-m
11-12-2013, 03:40 AM
I would like to show an arrangement of objects that only looks "correct" from a specific angle, slightly off centre and it's just some random objects.

The best way to describe what I'm after is to show the plugin that can do this in AE really easily!
http://aescripts.com/pt_multiplane/

The ability to automatically scale up as you move an object back in Z space so it doesn't appear to have changed position could be really handy. How could I do this if the interaction thing wasn't possible, running a script on already placed items?

Is there a way to achieve this in LW?

pinkmouse
11-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Hmm, this should be possible with nodal motion. Let me have a think...

pinkmouse
11-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Okay, scaling the objects so as they move in z they increase in size is not an issue. Sorting out the parallax motion due to the "real" camera in LW might take a bit more thought...

Can you spot my inspiration? :D

raw-m
11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Haha, I was racking my brain to think of a real-life example, well done!!

What's your div and add values? I can mimic the effect by parenting items in place to a null at the origin, moving the null in Z and also scaling it to line up. Bit of a pain and gets quite messy if I have quite a few items.

pinkmouse
11-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Given up on nodes, found an easier method. Give me five minutes and I'll update...:)

pinkmouse
11-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Right, here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TwJjfZuDo&feature=youtu.be

No nodes, expressions or moving involved. It's just down to setting the pivots in the right place and rather than moving things, use Size in Layout.

raw-m
11-13-2013, 03:37 AM
Hey Pinkmouse, sorry for the late reply, didn't get an email subscription notice thing!

Thanks for your help, looks like we came to the same conclusion. I'm sure it's possible to run something on items in Layout to do this based on Camera position, but it's way above my head!!

pinkmouse
11-13-2013, 04:08 AM
No probs, the same's happened to me a few times recently. I really know nothing about scripting, so can't comment on that, but I'm sure if my maths was better the nodal thing is very possible.

raw-m
11-13-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm sure if my maths was better the nodal thing is very possible.

Same here, you can probably time travel using LW nodes….!

raw-m
11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
OK, still trying and think this might be possible!

In AE, here's the code generated and attached to the scale of the object:

camZoom = 1777.7778;
distance = position[2] + camZoom;
scale * (distance / camZoom);

camZoom is the comps Camera's Zoom setting. This example it says 1777.7 (39.6degs).

What's does that translate to in LW world? If I can crack that then it looks like the rest of the maths is quite simple!