PDA

View Full Version : Selection awareness in CORE tools ?

Emmanuel
11-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi folks,

first this happened to me with fracture, now it seems the "tweak" tool is like that too: they ignore my currently selected polygons completely, they even ignore layers.
While the layer thing is indeed cool (*cough*bandsaw*cough), the other is not.When I select polies on my object, I want the tweak tool only to work on that selection, not everything
I see. Maybe an idea for the next modeler update, NewTek.

Snosrap
11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Yep there are issues. The one that drives me nuts is when using Transform tool you sometimes cannot grab the handle because it's pre-highlighting a polygon selection. I think NT did all their testing on super large objects as when working with smaller objects the transform tool is darn near useless. There is just so many inconsistencies within Modeler. Thankfully as a long-time user I know all the bug-a-boos, I feel for newbies. NT needs to look at Modo in the area of modeling tools and selection centers for development of LW12.

gerry_g
11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I find the transform tool to work ok for me, where as with Modo you would click on something in element mode and then transform, Lightwave works best if you hold down shift and drag across something a short distance (not its entirety as if you were lasso selecting) this way I can get the manipulator to appear on any face or vert or edge I choose

hrgiger
11-11-2013, 01:44 PM
One of the new tools that kind of drives me nuts sometimes is slice. Depending on the size of the polygon you're slicing, sometimes you can't slice as close to a vertex as you want before it snaps to that vertex. Otherwise I do like the tool. Although I wish I could insert a point into the middle of a polygon as I'm slicing.

Snosrap
11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I find the transform tool to work ok for me, where as with Modo you would click on something in element mode and then transform, Lightwave works best if you hold down shift and drag across something a short distance (not its entirety as if you were lasso selecting) this way I can get the manipulator to appear on any face or vert or edge I chooseWork on something real small and you'll see its pretty much worthless. :) And then throw Subpatched objects into the mix and working with large objects even becomes a pain. Conceptually its great, but it just doesn't cut in real world modeling.

hrgiger
11-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Its better to model with subpatches turned off anyway :)

Snosrap
11-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Its better to model with subpatches turned off anyway :) Never! :) I think that's a personal thing. I can see advantages to both ways and I'm sure it depends on what your working on. I personally almost always start by roughing things out with it turned off but it isn't long and I turn them on and leave 'em on.

Snosrap
11-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Here is a short video of the issue I am referring to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWCmuBrtYHg&feature=youtu.be

Lewis
11-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Yes that problem is there since first day of it and it's been reported also and they didn't fix it, why? I have no idea but it is useless on small objects as Snosrap showed (BTW you can use RMB to reposition gizmo pivot no need for shift+click ;)).

Also what's irritating is that if you have background layer Highlighting (for positioning pivot of gizmo) takes that into account at same importance like it's front layer so if you have larger object in BG layer you'll hardly be able to pick FG layer point/poly/edge :(. We need FG/BG snap buttons so we can choose. Similar things goes to edge tweak tool. It's not respecting selections , it cuts loop or even when you want to move edges you can slide Loop of edges or single edge (CTRL) but you can't slide 2 or any other selection number of edges if is not full llop or single whcih i need like 2% of time comparing to 98% selection respect mode :(.
Next problem goes to Axis translate and snapping. Snapping works only if is within same object, if you have two objects in modeler and you want to snap one to another you can't higlight points or edges etc from that background object layer so you have to copy paste it into same object.

etc. etc.. I have tons of these and i've said them that long ago but to no avail. So yes they started set of great helping tools in modeler but they never finished them nor did they update them in 11.6 :(.