View Full Version : How is this done?

11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Anybody know how this type of image is created : http://static9.depositphotos.com/1008280/1125/i/450/dep_11250723-Leafwater-splash.jpg

It's a painting of water. This person has many as do others and they all look like water splashes but in distinct shape of objects. I am sure it's CG but would like to know how it was done (tutorials??) or if there is a certain software that does this if you provide an image or 3D object??


11-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Obvious option would be to model it by hand via usual modeling techniques or with something like zbrush/3dcoat.

11-12-2013, 07:54 AM
you can easilly do in Lightwave using subpatch modelling and procedural displacements ;)

11-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Most of that splash stuff you see in advertising is painted up in Photoshop. Sometimes they incorporate some 3d or photographed elements into it but there's a good reason for some of the highest paid digital artist out there being 2D artist.

11-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Agreed, a lot of the more controlled, wow how did they create that in 3D? stuff is actually 2D where you can control every stroke.

But if you want to know how to do it in 3D there are a lot of ways.

But I would opt for sculpting in Zbrush.

I have seen some water simulations where the water takes the form of an object. I think it was Houdini but I am not sure, Though I know you can do it in ICE.


11-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the info.