PDA

View Full Version : Network render - info needed

Pavlov
11-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi all,
i want to give a try with free network rendering in LW, instead of using BNR.
I wonder if i should try to mess with ScreamerNet, or if you all agree Amleto is best way. I also know we can use AD's Backburner witha custom script.
Which solution is best, in your opinion ?
Basically i need every LW guy here is able to send their LW scenes to network nodes from their own machines. I'd also like they can chose which node to use, instead of letting the software pick one.

thanks,
paolo

beverins
11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi all,
i want to give a try with free network rendering in LW, instead of using BNR.
I wonder if i should try to mess with ScreamerNet, or if you all agree Amleto is best way. I also know we can use AD's Backburner witha custom script.
Which solution is best, in your opinion ?
Basically i need every LW guy here is able to send their LW scenes to network nodes from their own machines. I'd also like they can chose which node to use, instead of letting the software pick one.

thanks,
paolo

How many nodes do you need? If it is 2 then you can use either Qube or Deadline to render with - both very robust (and expensive) solutions... but they give out a fully functional 2-node "trial" that never expires. I find Deadline massively easier to set up than Qube, however either one will do the trick.

If it is over 2 nodes then Amleto (http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/), Tequilascream (http://tequilascream.com/) or Dr. Queue (http://www.drqueue.org/cwebsite/) would be good software to look at.

As for which is the best... well, to me, the only way to tell which is the "best" is to try it for yourself.

My wishy-washy recommendation comes from having used the top two packages: I use both Qube and Deadline and I've found that both packages do things that the other one doesn't do :thumbsup::(

geo_n
11-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm using backburner for primary since its the most convenient(sending scene thru layout). In rare cases it doesn't like a plugin so Bnr and amleto for backup.

Pavlov
11-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys.
Do you use last beta (3.2) or previous official one ?
Anyway i've issues with both. Strangely, in Server config, in network drive i cant find my NAS shared drive (Z). I tried a subst command to give Z another name, but then that one is missing in the menu. So, what do you put into "Network Drives" tab ?
I dont know if that's the issue, but i load a scene, i see it's being transferred to client, but then renders all white.
Let's see if i can solve this, Amleto seems so basic that's hilarious it doesnt work. At worst i'll upgrade my BNR 4.58 to 5.0, so every one will have access to queue via web.

Paolo

paulhart
11-11-2013, 08:51 PM
It seems like an extra kink in the works, but I use TightVNC throughout my little render farm. It is a separate piece of software. Once it is setup I can pull up any of the Clients from my primary work station. I also can work the other way and use TightVNC to monitor the Server station window and load jobs from the remote Client station, even though this is less likely for me, but might be what you are needing. It, TightVNC, confirms that all of the my network designation are working just fine.
Paul

Pavlov
11-12-2013, 12:48 AM
thanks, but that's too much fooling around for me. Too little time to mess with things which should be OK at start.
And frankly having messed all yesterday with amleto to get it running brings me on the angry side of life, because the issue i meet has literally no sense (it has all drive letters BUT the one of my HDs, no matter if i change the names).
I'll upgrade my BNR to 5.0 and that will be ok.

thanks,
Paolo

alexos
11-12-2013, 02:04 AM
And frankly having messed all yesterday with amleto to get it running brings me on the angry side of life, because the issue i meet has literally no sense (it has all drive letters BUT the one of my HDs,...
Paolo

That's strange, my experience with Amleto has been rather pleasant - setting it up was literally a matter of minutes. The only problem I've encountered is that it doesn't seem to "like" some of Denis' plug-ins (or vice versa) so, at least in my case, Sunsky would reset the sun's posish every 5 frames and DP's part move would, likewise, reset all displacements, still every five frames - which wasn't quite a small problem in fact, as I had to re-render a whole lot of frames. Admittedly I've never really bugged Denis about it, so there might be an easy fix I'm unaware of...

ADP.

Pavlov
11-12-2013, 02:16 AM
thanks Alexos,
well this is already WAY too much for me. I need something which i goes. Click and go. Cant handle all software's hiccups, i've already LW's one to care about :)
BNR is OK here for years, the only problem is i'm the only one who can queue files since Server app is on one single machine and cant be shared. I'll upgrade to 5, which has a web interface so anyone can queue, and i'm done.

thanks,
Paolo