PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence FD Rev 1034 was released on 11-5

Afalk
11-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Just a quick heads up for all the TFD fans -- happened to check up on TFD this morning and saw that TDF 1 - rev 1034 was released on the 5th. I hadn't seen any notice on it, and wanted to put the word out.

realgray
11-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Would love to hear if the LW version is catching up at all with the C4d version. Still thinking of buying it if well supported.

Afalk
11-10-2013, 06:01 AM
That would be awesome, I have to agree,but even as it stands its pretty damned impressive hehe. only issue I have with the latest revision is that they have apparently dropped support for some older graphics cards -- I installed it on my old playground machine and it suddenly won't recognize the GPUS. :: sigh :;

Markc
11-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Ok i'm confused, the version I have from June is 1146, just looked on Jawset site and latest version is 1291, what's this 1034?

Afalk
11-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Not sure what to say, this is my download screen:

Plus, touched base with Jascha and found out that updating my nVidia drivers quashed my issue in no time flat. I'm looking forward to spending more time inside TFD.

Markc
11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Ah, it's a typo, you put 1034 instead of 1304.
I went to the Try tab on website and it shows 1291.

Edit: I logged in and get 1304, the version on the Try tab is the le build :thumbsup:

ianr
11-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey Chuck grand poobar NEWTEK LIGHTWAVE3D forums,

Please arrange to bump this into Third Party forums,
along whith othervaluable TURB posts, as previously asked for.
Thank You, cos all 3rd party dev traffic is important:newtek:

Thomas Leitner
11-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Would love to hear if the LW version is catching up at all with the C4d version. Still thinking of buying it if well supported.

Hi realgray,
particle advection except what is missing in the LW version?

ciao
Thomas

Afalk
11-11-2013, 02:42 AM
As far as I know Thomas, that sounds right. The Cinema integration seems, for lack of better term, slightly more tight. That being said, TFD really leverages teh existing power of LW's particles in wholly new ways.

Thomas Leitner
11-11-2013, 03:32 AM
As far as I know Thomas, that sounds right. The Cinema integration seems, for lack of better term, slightly more tight. That being said, TFD really leverages teh existing power of LW's particles in wholly new ways.

Hi Afalk,
that sounds intresting. Can you tell us your experience with TFD in Cinema 4D and LW more detailed? What are the things that make the Cinema 4D integration more tight?

thanks
Thomas

Afalk
11-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Sure. In deciding whether to pick up TFD for my shop I hit the site, then Youtube to see just what had been done/could be done with TFD. I watched the C4D videos and tutorials (the LW version was in development at that time), then followed the initial threads here on the forums re:TFD. I am a LW guy, and only dabbled with C4D over the years.

The discussions, samples, and tutorials for the C4d/AE versions, convinced me that I really wanted TFD as part of my workflow. As to the integration/features of the C4D plugin versus LW, please remember that the LW version has only recently come out of beta and is sitting at V1 (.1304 to be precise); but that being said, already the tool offers remarkably flexible, accurate, and fast simulations for pyrotechnics within LW. The C4D side _seems_ to have more robust support for actual fluids versus smoke, flame or plasma that we see now. Jascha, brought the tool to us and there is a huge thread that led up to our original group purchase of TFD loaded with samples and more technical info.

Releases have been consistent and development an ongoing effort, so while the LW version, doesn't offer the same level of flexibility as the C4D version, I know that its coming. Lastly, Kelly Meyers and a number of other people have already used LW-TFD in production. Its blazingly fast, and been very solid just as it stands now.

Thomas Leitner
11-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Sure. In deciding whether to pick up TFD for my shop I hit the site, then Youtube to see just what had been done/could be done with TFD. I watched the C4D videos and tutorials (the LW version was in development at that time), then followed the initial threads here on the forums re:TFD. I am a LW guy, and only dabbled with C4D over the years.

The discussions, samples, and tutorials for the C4d/AE versions, convinced me that I really wanted TFD as part of my workflow. As to the integration/features of the C4D plugin versus LW, please remember that the LW version has only recently come out of beta and is sitting at V1 (.1304 to be precise); but that being said, already the tool offers remarkably flexible, accurate, and fast simulations for pyrotechnics within LW. The C4D side _seems_ to have more robust support for actual fluids versus smoke, flame or plasma that we see now. Jascha, brought the tool to us and there is a huge thread that led up to our original group purchase of TFD loaded with samples and more technical info.

Releases have been consistent and development an ongoing effort, so while the LW version, doesn't offer the same level of flexibility as the C4D version, I know that its coming. Lastly, Kelly Meyers and a number of other people have already used LW-TFD in production. Its blazingly fast, and been very solid just as it stands now.

Thank you,
but I know TFD very well, I bought it in the early beta phase, back in 2010. We have used it for commercials and feature films.
What I am interested in is the benefit of the Cinema 4D version, since I didnīt see any difference between the two version, beside particle advection. And I am very careful with rumours about software, since I have read so many humbug in forums, but Iīm always interested in substantiated reviews.

....The C4D side _seems_ to have more robust support for actual fluids versus smoke, flame or plasma that we see now. ....

Sounds good, can you please guide me to some examples of this, I didnīt find anything on youtube.

thanks
ciao
Thomas

Afalk
11-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I am dearly hoping I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that we cannot effectively sim water/ink in LW-TFD, so that meant things like this (add youtube(dot)com) /watch?v=jDSP7A2UiGU or perhaps even this /watch?v=MGBMPlgUoKM weren't readily available. Thus far, I've seen/tried to gen up fire/explosions etc, but stayed away from fluids proper. Can we use TFD in lw for these sorts of things? vimeo this time at /74178636

Was I wrong in this? Lord that would be fantastic if so! Plus, if so, any chance you could you share some pieces to look at?

Thomas Leitner
11-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I am dearly hoping I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that we cannot effectively sim water/ink in LW-TFD, so that meant things like this (add youtube(dot)com) /watch?v=jDSP7A2UiGU or perhaps even this /watch?v=MGBMPlgUoKM weren't readily available. Thus far, I've seen/tried to gen up fire/explosions etc, but stayed away from fluids proper. Can we use TFD in lw for these sorts of things? vimeo this time at /74178636

Was I wrong in this? Lord that would be fantastic if so! Plus, if so, any chance you could you share some pieces to look at?

Hi,
we cannot sim water in TFD for LW, but TFD for Cinema 4D can it neither.
I didnīt see anything that you canīt do with TFD for LW in the first example (try ice, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDSP7A2UiGU ). Itīs only a matter how you set up the behavior of your smoke.

Same is true also for the second one ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBMPlgUoKM ): Nothing that you canīt achieve with LWs TFD. Just follow his steps and you can see it yourself (of course our UI is LW style).

The third example ( http://vimeo.com/74178636 ) uses particle advection that isnīt available in the LW version, as mentioned before. Of course the other TFD stuff can be done with TFD for LW, too.

ciao
Thomas

Afalk
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Thomas, thanks for quite literally making my day!

Thomas Leitner
11-12-2013, 04:17 AM
.... Plus, if so, any chance you could you share some pieces to look at?

Hi Afalk,
unfortunately I have not much time now, but here is a scene to mimic dry ice. Nothing fancy. To be honest, I only turned on Gravity for the smoke and Frame Sub-Steps Limit to 5 (for faster, but more imprecise results turn it back to 1). This is only a VPR preview to save time.

ciao
Thomas

Afalk
11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Thomas, thanks again for sharing this and it is HUGELY appreciated, although I hadn't meant direct LW scenes or anything -- was more thinking vids you really liked/tutorials addressing great things w/in TFD/LW -- but this though, is even better!

Regards,

Tony

prometheus
11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Particle advection is something I would really like to see before buying in to it...I posted the question about it quite some time ago on jawset forums, and I do hope it getīs in there before v.2 as jasha mentioned in this quoted statement...
"Re: Particle Advection ..when?
Postby jascha ŧ 18 Sep 2012, 10:58

It'll be in a v1.0 update (as opposed to not-until-v2). At this point i can't be more specific."

I didnīt purchase a single licens or jumped in to the group purchase, becuase of some issues of turbulence being to unstable at that point, and also becoming unemployed at that point...so I unfortunatly couldnīt set that as priority for my investment at that time, I do think it seem to be a great tool from what you see, and from my experience with it, even though I had crash issues etc, the quality and speed of the simulations are great, the UI needs some corrections, and it needs catching up with cinema4d featues..such as particle advection, I suspect thereīs something in Lightwave sdk that might
be very tricky to solve regarding connection with native particles velocity etc.

PyroFX for houdini is a highly advanced fluid simulator, and also maya...when trying out houdini I know how advanced and how powerful it might be in terms of what you can acheive, but the truth is for me that I feel that Turbulence is easier to get desired results and also faster than if I would try and set up pyroFX in houdini, not sure if it has to do with how well I know turbulence and lightwave VS houdini knowledge pyroFX.

I complained about turbulenceFD not being able to use lightwave wind dynamics or itīs own forces, only to be corrected by jascha that turbulence forces is done by adding items and make them forces within turbulenceFD, and thatīs ok..I think I would rather have seperate forces somehow though..adding item objects and disable fluid rendering in order to just use the forces seem to be a little unlogic in workflow as it is now.

Also, ultimatly you would probably want to work with forces that affects other parts, like the bullet New forces actually being able to affect fluids, so the same force pushing bricks will also stir up
dust or smoke based on that force as well, so that is the natural connection of a simulated behavior in real life, so you cant throw in other forces and try to match another simulation.
maya of course can work like this, a wind force can push the maya fluids and also push dynamic bodys in the same simulation.
But I doubt such option will be available anytime soon, first of we need bullet forces to affect standard lightwave particles, then move on to work on a fluid system.

I would also like to see a special dedicated previewer for turbulenceFD in lightwave, in cinema there is one, in lightwave we donīt have one, viper canīt use the illuminate
smoke, and vpr isnīt ideal to work with either for fast preview playback, so either jascha needs to write on for lightwave if possible, or VPR needs enhancements for it to work properly. Jascha himself said that the VPR wasnīt ideal..compared to cinema4d previewer.

Michael

kfinla
11-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Ya particle advection is the big one for me too. I check-in on TFD every few months hoping to see the LW version has "caught up" to the C4D version. It i'd also love to see openCl support but thats probably asking a lot.

Dodgy
11-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm disappointed that he's stopped releasing 32 bit versions, as I still mostly use those with all the plugins I have accumulated for it that aren't 64 bit.

spherical
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm. Well, I can certainly see the reason why, from a computational throughput standpoint, but do also recognize that not all plugins are available in 64-bit. So, we're all in this no man's land of how to get what we need from the software we have employed in our workflow. When a large portion of plugins are only one or the other, you're relegated to convoluted workarounds; if, indeed, those work at all.

prometheus
11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm disappointed that he's stopped releasing 32 bit versions, as I still mostly use those with all the plugins I have accumulated for it that aren't 64 bit.

Oh..my, that was a bummer and perhaps a mistake, didnīt know about that, I too prefer 32 bit, and havenīt even installed 64 bit of the latest lightwave, since itīs so many plugins running only still in lw 32.

That rules out using ogo taiki environment with turbulenceFD, shame...this really makes me think twice and perhaps actually rule out turbulenceFD for quite a while, itīs heīs choice of course and understandable if it is too much work with the two versions, doesnīt make it useful as compatible with other lightwave stuff unfortunatly..and thus less attractive for me later on.

other than that, I would as mentioned like to get the particle advection in ther, a turbulenceFD previewer if VPR canīt handle it better, and smoke&fire openGL at once ..not only seperate.

Michael