PDA

View Full Version : Changing Point Color?

madno
11-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi,
I have changed the GUI color to get a better distinction between foreground, background and grid. But there is no option to change the vertex color in the custom interface dialog. Does anybody know if there is a way to set that color in the config files manually?

hrgiger
11-10-2013, 09:40 AM
im not at my computer now so i cant check but the one thing you can do is change point size in the display options. if you make them a little larger they will become more apparent and stand out from the edges they rest on.

- - - Updated - - -

but im pretty sure you can also change the vertex color.

jeric_synergy
11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can change color on many (most?) entities. (Also not at my machine) But IIRC there is some sort of overlap that can be quite frustrating....

A feature (LWM12?) that might be useful would be AA'd shapes for vertices: they're always squares now, right? Little AA'd circles or diamonds (eg rotated squares) might be helpful for some users-- I know that sometimes at the end of a long session my aching eyeballs need a little help.

IMO those 3 options would be plenty: squares, circles, diamonds. OTOH, I think my idea is also a little bit of "slapping lipstick on a pig", old-fashioned 1998 thinking, and that there are better visibility options already out there. So, there ya go.

hrgiger
11-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can change color on many (most?) entities. (Also not at my machine) But IIRC there is some sort of overlap that can be quite frustrating....

A feature (LWM12?) that might be useful would be AA'd shapes for vertices: they're always squares now, right? Little AA'd circles or diamonds (eg rotated squares) might be helpful for some users-- I know that sometimes at the end of a long session my aching eyeballs need a little help.

IMO those 3 options would be plenty: squares, circles, diamonds. OTOH, I think my idea is also a little bit of "slapping lipstick on a pig", old-fashioned 1998 thinking, and that there are better visibility options already out there. So, there ya go.

my only concern with display types for vertices would be performance. Displaying points as they are now already slows down handling, i think adding more definition or AA would only make that worse. but if the difference was neglegible, more options are always good.

jeric_synergy
11-10-2013, 01:40 PM
my only concern with display types for vertices would be performance. Displaying points as they are now already slows down handling, i think adding more definition or AA would only make that worse. but if the difference was neglegible, more options are always good.
To paraphrase Steve Worley, it's better to err on the side of letting the user decide if the performance hit is significant: what might be untenable for one user may be fine for another.

Like I said: other apps don't seem to have too much problem, and if Modeler is suffering it's very likely* because it is an antiquated piece of code.

My idea seems old: even some of the new tools have nice highlighting methods (so they are clearly possible). Once the entire app is brought up to the new tools' standards, LWM will seem ever so much more modern!

*but not certain

jeric_synergy
11-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah... NOW I remember what the irritating color limitation is:

At first pass (no dox/no google) it would appear that users cannot control the color of UNselected Points. What the heck is up with that?

It's a very puzzling omission in the User Colors feature, when it would seem to be the FIRST thing that people might want to adjust for their own use. (Note you can control the color of Selected Points.)

Maybe there's a way, but it doesn't leap out at one from the UI:

I took this opportunity to pimp the SKETCH COLOR feature, in case anybody had forgotten about that and might find it useful, since we're talking about visibility.

++++
MORE: I googled a bit, and a tool existed for LW10 to adjust colors, although I'm not sure about LWM unselected Points:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10&highlight=flash%20tool%20color

The config file LWHUB11-64.cfg doesn't seem to contain those color parameters any more. They must exist somewhere, since they are user definable for the most part, and maybe the unselected Points color is in there too. ED: now it's LWM11-64.CFG. But as suspected, UNselected Point Color is not in there, afaict.

madno
11-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for trying it out. I also searched every config etc. Unfortunately there is no way to change the vertex color. I fogged the question some time ago but got no answer. So I think we have to live with it. Hopefully they add it to a later version of LW.

jeric_synergy
11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
It's a HUGE oversight. WTF?