PDA

View Full Version : Newtek survey

meatycheesyboy
11-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

I got an email from Newtek this morning asking me to take a survey but the link in the email does not work. Anyone else have this problem?

nickdigital
11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Works for me.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/lw3dg_november2013

pinkmouse
11-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Done.

Would be nice if LW3DG shared the results with us, I'm very curious as to who the typical user is, and what they want. :)

prometheus
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Ivé finished the survey, I do wish I had the time to do a complemetary pdf, better showcasing what I added as additional notes on how to improve the Lightwave Experience, with graphics and even
more stuff and more detailed.

Michael

probiner
11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
check!

Davewriter
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I too got a "broken link" message using both Explorer and Chrome. But got through on Nick's link - Thanks bud!

hrgiger
11-09-2013, 09:16 AM
the last time i remember getting a survey from NT about Lightwave was during the LW8 series which i assume led to some of the decisions that went into the development of LW9 (and possibly CORE as well). im curious to know why they are asking for our input now. we've been waiting for some big changes in Lightwave (integration issues, undo system, geometry and deformation speed, etc....) i would think they would know the changes that need made already? maybe they are just taking another assessment of the user base to make sure their plans are still in line with what is important to the userbase? just curious.

i also wonder if they have considered the idea of posting a poll pointed towards non-LW users what changes LW would need in order for them to consider using it.

prometheus
11-09-2013, 10:55 AM
i also wonder if they have considered the idea of posting a poll pointed towards non-LW users what changes LW would need in order for them to consider using it.

That is a good idea, but it might encounter som problems since you just canīt post spam non customers, It would need to be clearly seen at a larger forum for the overall 3d community somewhere.

I donīt think many other 3d users finds itīs way to the lightwave forum so often, so having it up here might not be effective, and posting through mail is most certainly out of option.
What I do believe in, that would be a free apprentice/learning edition of lightwave that doesnīt expire..I believe in such model the way sidefx and e-onsoftware does it.

This way you could market a free learning edition that doesnīt expire so possible future client donīt have to bother about not being able to evaluate it in a few days before itīs out.
And this way upon the download of the free learning edition, you get their mail and have to accept a survey sort of after a certain time, so it would then be possible for
the lightwave group to check the downloaded adresses and send a survey.

They could actually have two surveys, one simpler before they download...if they wish to take the survey, and one survey passed on to them after a while to give them chance to evaluate it.

I find myself going to sidefx houdini forums, thanks to the learning edition, and from there I could see if they take surveys etc, though nothing beats these lightwave forums in terms of answers and helpful community from my point of view. :)

I have said it so many times, I think a learning edition is very important if you want to attract new customers, itīs a matter of providing a way to let customers be familiar with
a complex software without them being stressed by a 30 day limit, or as in a luxology case study..15 days, and paying for additional evaluation time, that is a poor and old way to provide a demo these days.

Watermarks and render resolution, some small export disables maybe, and it will not be useful for commercial work anyway.
A poll might work best in a non specific cgchannel.

Michael

hrgiger
11-09-2013, 11:40 AM
well my intention by suggesting a survey for non-LW users wasnt necessarily to attract new users to LW, at least not initially. rather it was so that lw3dg could get a wider range of suugestions from people across the industry about what things are crucial in 3d software. since lw is used a lot in television and not as much in games or movies, the lw userbase survey responses may be fairly limited because of this. since character animation is one area that lw3dg have said they want to improve, maybe it would help to survey people who are more knowledgableas we all know too well that LW may not have the largest pool of character animators.

prometheus
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Thinking back on the survey, I feel I should have mentioned why I think Itīs user Interface is one of its strong parts, Itīs not perfect and I know improvements can be done on it and it also have some weak points, nevertheless..it is how clear, and how large, how acessable most things are, and important..how it is disposed, with that I ment that it differs from many other packages in how lights and cameras are disposed, I have immediate overview and acess to the lights, cameras,objects in such way that it feels like a movie making stage setup, as opposed to the modo dispose where lightīs are hidden in the shader tree which doesnīt feel natural if you havenīt worked with the software before, so when I look at the Lightwave UI for my camera and lights, itīs there in front of me...Itīs little things, but important for the feel of a "true stage" as opposed to looking for items in some shader panel.

This direct UI acess and dispose approach of the most important tools to use for the images created, is sort of hard coded in the UI, where in many other software it is placed under panels in a not so good disposition approach.

The UI non icon confusing approach helps users find their way exactly without confusing icons, at the same time ..some tools displayed with a good icon will actually be faster to use since you donīt have to read.. just instantly recognize the image of a sphere or a box faster than the brains reads the same button, but it is a delicate balance, since thereīs only so many icons you can recognize in such fast way, and also keep track of them in your mind..if you go the true space approach, your lost..as in many other software, houdini has a very slick interface with some of the icons in panel modules
where you also see the text beneath the icon, but that is only for the panels ..some other UI icons you have to hoover over to get info on them, which if it has a bad icon representation, it would be better of with only a text button.

Minus for the Lightwave UI, we could really use a dock panel option, like adobe has, where you can drag letīs say hypervoxel panel to dock with particle fx panel, or the environment panel, and then just drag them all at once to place them wherever I want on the screen, not individually mess with modules hiding behind eachohter or moving 4-5 module panels side to side ..one by one, sure we can tab hide most of them, but not structure them...the modules themself also needs expandable/collapsing menus too, like cinema4D has.

I also like that the default disposition of the menu above below and to the side, is probably the most narrow panel approach by default, to allow for probably the largest
workspace in any 3d software, when looking at the viewport space.

Michael

Chris S. (Fez)
11-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Every time I turn on CCsubds in Lightwave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iiu_QQ9gKo