PDA

View Full Version : Studio Daily: VFX Studios on the Cloud (A Cloudy Issue?)

robertoortiz
11-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Rob Note: this is a great balance article on the subject of the move to the Cloud

Quote:

"How do you feel about Adobe's move to the cloud?

So far, I have interviewed a semi-random group of Adobe Creative Suite users who both have and have not joined the Creative Cloud. Emotions run surprisingly high, and I'm getting about six "unhappys" to four "I like it"s.

I've been breaking down complaints by category. By far the biggest complaints have to do with the cost/benefit breakdown and online security. One VFX supervisor said to me, "It's only a matter of time before they get hacked, and there goes our IP." This was three days before Adobe actually did get hacked. But, to be fair, no user IP was compromised and the credit card numbers accessed were allegedly encrypted. So, no big deal. Or is it? Clearly, the hacker jackass club has its sights on Adobe, and while these lowlifes may act like idiot criminals, they can be scary smart. You have to wonder what they will do next. On the other hand, Adobe is throwing a lot of smart money at the problem and has hired an outside firm to beef up their security.

But I digress. I was able to get some knowledgeable real people to go on record with their feelings about the whole CC move. I'm going to share some of them with you. To this end I talked with some VFX houses and I have interviewed the head honcho at a new-concept, cloud-based VFX studio. That was interesting. Some like the cloud, others do not. But there is little argument that it is a trend, with The Foundry, Autodesk and Side Effects also heading in that direction.

- See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/10/adobe-a-cloudy-issue/#sthash.EDWiNK9e.dpuf