PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Saving Multiple Files

digitalimagery
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a logo animation with four different camera views and moves which saved as separate files. When I set each one up there are times when subtle changes need to be made to surface settings. When I close one file to open another it asks if I want to save the objects. If I say yes, the changes ripple through my other files and I loose the settings in those.

What is the method to save each file independent of the others when they all share the same objects? Can you? Do I need to save the same object with four different names and use the appropriate object in each file?

Thanks
DI

RebelHill
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes, you need separate copies of the objects as the scene files reference the objects.

digitalimagery
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, you need separate copies of the objects as the scene files reference the objects.

So that leads me to, what's the easiest way to swap out the geometry? Temporarily rename the objects file and when it opens and asks for the object select the appropriate new one? Or move the number two model to a directory named object2 and place the one for file 1 in the objects directory?

Once you have the basic file structure set up and are ready to make duplicates just copy the whole 3D directory with all object, scene, image etc. directories inside and name it 3D.2?

Thanks for the fast reply.
DI

nickdigital
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Copying the entire directory seems overkill. Just save out a variant of your object. Then update your other scene(s) to use the appropriate object.

spherical
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Seems that Global Materials (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/global-materials/) may be of use.