PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #239 - HMD!

XswampyX
11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #239 - HMD!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/HMD_TopRow_zps45b278c2.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/HMD_TopRow_zps45b278c2.jpg.html)

Rules:
1.Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2.Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3.LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4.You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5.Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6.The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: HMD- Head Mounted Display. In celebration of my Oculus Rift order going to Processing, Yay! :) Let's have some nice head mounted displays. They can be real or imaginary, a full VR head display, a google glass type overlay, or even some cyborg implant type thing. Show me you great designs.

timelimit: 60 min.
Deadline: Wednesday 13th November, 2013 22:00 CST

Have fun!

Pantagrool
11-09-2013, 03:10 PM
I think I found my reference image -- from a New York City underground comic from the early 80s ...

JoePoe
11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey Y'all,

I'm in the midst of a tech meltdown. So, won't be able to pull something together for this week.
Sorry XswampyX.
Hopefully I'm back up and running soon.....before I forget everything :).

JoePoe
11-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Okay, uh....... I'm back up.

<accent type=Pink Floyd> Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home.</accent type>

I think we lost swampy to the great Eye (Oculus).

..... what do we do now? Extend?

sublimationman
11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe everybody got busy with "holidays" coming up.

XswampyX
11-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Don't worry... I'm ok!

I was waiting for an entry..... Obviously your not as excited about me getting my Oculus as I am.... :D
We can extend this to next Wednesday?
I also have to choose next weeks/this weeks, and if we don't get a winner then I will have to do the week after as well. I don't mind, but I can only think of so many things to model in an hour!

Cheers!

hrgiger
11-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I was going to do one but I thought it was ending this week. Is this going on til this coming Wednesday then?

XswampyX
11-16-2013, 12:34 AM
I was going to do one but I thought it was ending this week. Is this going on til this coming Wednesday then?

I think so.... I only need one entry. I can then pass the baton on. :)

JoePoe
11-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Okay. Next Wednesday it is.

In the meantime..... comfy.

http://virtual-reality.wikispaces.com/file/view/toshibas-360-degree-head-mounted-display_MhMJF_48.jpg/330484978/toshibas-360-degree-head-mounted-display_MhMJF_48.jpg

Pantagrool
11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice pic, JoePoe!

And here is my entry, in all of its polygonal glory ...

Enjoy!

Bax33
11-19-2013, 09:08 AM
So, xSwampyx, have you gotten a chance to use your Rifts? Curious as to how you like them.

XswampyX
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Looking good Pantagrool. - We might have our winner! :-)

Hello Bax33,

Yep, I've had a good week now to try out the rift. I was so excited.....

I have tried out quite a few demos and have quake2 up and running and I have to say it's bloody amazing. You can spend 10mins just looking at a box floating in the air.
There's one demo that is just a room, with tetris blocks falling outside the window. When you put the rift on and open your eyes, you are sat in that room. Everything else has gone! If you turn your head/body through 90deg you can see the tetris blocks out of the window, exactly like the window was 10' away and the blocks were 20' -> 100' away.

Then there's lunar flight, kinda like thrust but in the rift. This puts you in a small capsule and you get to fly missions around on the moon/mars. The cockpit is all in 3d, you can even see the slope of the buttons on the dash. Look down and you see your hands holding an Xbox controller, look left and right and you see the shoulders of the space suit that you are wearing. It's just mental.

Not all good though...

It makes me sick, like travel sick when you read in a car. Some games are worse than others, but the helihell one will make you barf.
It's low res. Think Atari ST 320x200 resolution. It's not, but that's what it looks like in the rift.

Thanks for asking. Goto go, I've got a delivery on the moon to get sorted. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fWL0pHnyjk

JoePoe
11-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Not my head.
That being said, I did use the points along the center of the head for the rail extrude for the strap. Acceptable?

Looks a little funny without the back strap, but an hr is an hr.

And Swampy I AM excited about your new toy!! (shameless pandering to the judge :D) No, really..... I am. Sorry to hear about the downside.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/HMD1_zps1ebfad72.jpg

pinkmouse
11-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Who needs computerisation? :)

Got to pop out and see a man about a dog, so only very basic texturing/scene setup. Wires will follow later.

XswampyX
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the entries, I was getting worried!

Pantagrool :- Very nice, fits the reference image very well.
JoePoe :- looks really good for such a low poly model, nice render too.
PinkMouse :- Cool idea, if that was electronic paper it would actually work.

And the winner is Pantagrool, well done!

JoePoe
11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Congratulations Pantagrool!! :thumbsup:

oh, and as you requested........:bowdown:.