PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for me to start liking Doctor Who?

shrox
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I had a bad Doctor Who experience as a teen. Is it time to just accept the less than special effects of the older shows and let go of my chromakey bias? I caught myself watching one of the newer ones on BBC America before I realized what I was watching.

Ryan Roye
11-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not a fan of Doctor Who because it is kind of like a sci-fi version of Scooby Doo.

hazmat777
11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I had a bad Doctor Who experience as a teen. Is it time to just accept the less than special effects of the older shows and let go of my chromakey bias? I caught myself watching one of the newer ones on BBC America before I realized what I was watching.

I say go for Blake's 7 first and see how that goes. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake%27s_7

Phil
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Even better, ignore the TV versions and go for the Audio books. You can also subscribe to regular releases (and there's even Blake's 7 stuff) at www.bigfinish.com.

Doctor49152
11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
My job a few years ago was to replace the special effect shots for the DVDs of classic Doctor Who episodes. Then it was virtual set reconstructions. Frankly while I loved the work, being involved and having my name associated with it I hated replacing the effect shots.

I feel as though crappy as they are the effects have their place and are part of the publics memory. They represent the time they were made. They had a crappy charm to them. Just the same way I hate what Lucas has done to the original Star Wars.

My recommendation is to not take Doctor Who seriously at all. The character of the Doctor puts people off because they think he should be as serious as the people are on star trek all the time. He's not meant to be. He's a goof ball. I agree with the scooby-doo reference in some ways because the show is about solving silly mysteries a lot of time.

There are some great stories to watch though if you want a sampling
- The Empty Child
- Girl in the Fireplace
- Human Nature
- Blink
- Midnight
- Waters of Mars
- Vincent and the Doctor
- The Girl Who Waited

But that's just my opinion. But while most UK based sci-fi in the 1960s-2000 were craptastic visually. But they were just fun to watch. Kind of like MS3K fun.

hazmat777
11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Even better, ignore the TV versions and go for the Audio books. You can also subscribe to regular releases (and there's even Blake's 7 stuff) at www.bigfinish.com.

Thanks for the tip! I actually have a couple episodes of Blake's 7 on VHS that I really like(d).

JonW
11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I liked watching DH as a kid & in black & white. The dalek episodes scarred me the most but no harm done, & kept coming back for more.

The main reason I haven't watched any episodes other than an odd bit here & there for years now is I can't follow the storyline.

& the visuals have gone mad. Also too much audio irritation. It seems to be that from every aspect it has to scream at you!

Maybe I've turned into an old codger!

cagey5
11-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Fan made Dr Who intro. The 3d program he uses looks familiar..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24812380

LW_Will
11-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Its officially safe to return to Doctor Who, because the effects are much better. The Mill had done it up until they closed their doors 2 years ago. Now I think its done by Stargate.

I also agree with our poster the Doctor, those are some of the best episodes in the current series.

They are all available on Netflix.

spherical
11-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I watched DW early-on and then went off it, partly due to K-9. I've watched some of the re-runs of those, now, and he's not so bad as I once thought. Guess I evolved. My SO had been watching the recent series, starting with Eccleston, and I heard the sound track coming from the living room while working in the studio. By the time Tennant came along, I was intrigued, because it looked pretty well done, had some good writing and he was fun. We began a marathon from the start of the recent series to the present, using Amazon Video On Demand, and got them all in before the 11th Doctor premiere. Then went back to some of the earlier Doctors to fill in gaps here and there; as were available.

This, of course, was the genesis of a nice upgrade to our kitchen (http://blog.imperialearth.com/studio/our-police-box-fridge/):
The French Door configuration just screamed out to Joy (http://joysblog.glassnebula.com/art/making-a-police-box-refrigerator/) one morning. A new project had been born. The beacon is printed on our 3D Touch, skin is printed on our Epson 9900 44" giclée machine. A light-activated sound module fires when the doors open.

As you may tell from one of my 100+ year-old clocks and a face from another, I'm into horology. Doctor Who is a natural fit.

erikals
11-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Doctor Who because it is kind of like a sci-fi version of Scooby Doo.

spot on!

Megalodon2.0
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
I've loved Dr. Who since I started watching the original B&W episodes on PBS in the '70's. I've probably seen every episode and love every Doctor.

I enjoyed the crappy sets and special effects because they did their best with non-existent budgets. The acting wasn't always the best, but I have to say that every single person who played the Doctor did a wonderful job - some better, some worse - but all good - IMO. I've watched all of the specials on the sYfY channel showing each Doctor along with an episode.

Brings back wonderful memories.

dwburman
11-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I found the new series of DR Who to be enjoyable, though I haven't watched them all and I think I only saw one episode of one of the old series (the episode with the giant video maggots). Of course, I watched Scooby Doo far longer than I probably should have too. :)

shrox
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
In about 1983 I was at a comic book store and ended up in a documentary about Doctor Who.

I said I didn't like the show.

Then people in the store didn't like me.

erikals
11-07-2013, 06:14 PM
hah! honest to the last! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/bowdown.gif

Davewriter
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I had been off and on with the old black and whites, then got really interested when Tom Baker took over. Okay, so he was fun and all... but then his companion was Leela. I mean how can you go wrong with a hot warrior babe wearing a tiny leather dress? I mean really! Who gave a damn about the FX?
I've had fun with some of the newer ones. Some of the story arcs (yes crying angels, I'm looking at you) reached out and forced my hand onto the remote.
But the Day Of The Doctor looks like it should be fun. Coming up on 11/25 I think.

Megalodon2.0
11-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Coming up on 11/25 I think.

11/23 here. :)

JonW
11-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Who gave a damn about the FX?

"his companion Leela."

Exactly!

shrox
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
OK, I'll try watching on the 23rd.

Danner
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I just find the show to be all over the place quality wise. Some of the shows have really good scripts, others are meh.. same with acting and effects. It is usually enjoyable but won't cry if I miss it.

LW_Will
11-09-2013, 01:00 AM
shrox... I'd suggest watching a few other episodes before watching the 50th anniversary. I mean, its going to be a big episode with all kinds of references and call backs... you will be lost and probably not enjoy it. I suggest getting some of the new episodes from Netflix or Amazon Prime or even iTunes. (Or OTHER means...)

Watch. Be won over... Run, Blink, The Girl Who Waited, the rest of the Doctor's list.... it'll be best, really...

djwaterman
11-09-2013, 02:31 AM
My job a few years ago was to replace the special effect shots for the DVDs of classic Doctor Who episodes. Then it was virtual set reconstructions. Frankly while I loved the work, being involved and having my name associated with it I hated replacing the effect shots.

I feel as though crappy as they are the effects have their place and are part of the publics memory. They represent the time they were made. They had a crappy charm to them. Just the same way I hate what Lucas has done to the original Star Wars.

My recommendation is to not take Doctor Who seriously at all. The character of the Doctor puts people off because they think he should be as serious as the people are on star trek all the time. He's not meant to be. He's a goof ball. I agree with the scooby-doo reference in some ways because the show is about solving silly mysteries a lot of time.

There are some great stories to watch though if you want a sampling
- The Empty Child
- Girl in the Fireplace
- Human Nature
- Blink
- Midnight
- Waters of Mars
- Vincent and the Doctor
- The Girl Who Waited

But that's just my opinion. But while most UK based sci-fi in the 1960s-2000 were craptastic visually. But they were just fun to watch. Kind of like MS3K fun.

I can't believe they did that, only some marketing wonk without a clue would think that was a good idea, I think that might have happened with the old Star trek shows as well, and of course Star Wars and even ET, next they'll "improve" Bruce the shark. Just leave the stuff as it was and move on. What a joyless job that must've been, replacing the backgrounds and effects, did you have to hold off at all, like try not to make them too good?

pinkmouse
11-09-2013, 02:59 AM
For those who weren't brought up in the UK with Matt Irvine constantly on Swapshop or Blue Peter, here's a quick roundup (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08/doctor_who_telly_special_effects_tech/) of BBC VFX.

Due to aforementioned indoctrination, I still think of CSO not chromakey/green screen. :D

shrox
11-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I am very familiar with Doctor Who, I just thought it was terrible.

cagey5
11-09-2013, 12:50 PM
To be honest, unless you're aged 14 or under, I don't think it's really meant for you anyhow ...

Doctor49152
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I can't believe they did that, only some marketing wonk without a clue would think that was a good idea, I think that might have happened with the old Star trek shows as well, and of course Star Wars and even ET, next they'll "improve" Bruce the shark. Just leave the stuff as it was and move on. What a joyless job that must've been, replacing the backgrounds and effects, did you have to hold off at all, like try not to make them too good?

Thankfully you have to enable the new effects or the DVDs play the originals by default. To tell you the truth, now that I think of it, I've never really watched any of my work on the DVDs.. hahaha I just can't bring myself to that.

I did try to make them very much as close to the original that I could for most of the shots. I got pretty good at simulation the 'TARDIS on a piece of string' look (3 to 4 nulls parented to each other and set to repeating wonky motions).

If I made a space-ship I created parts from other model-kits of the time (space:1999 was a popular kit to bash from. As well as tanks). A few times I lit them with green edge lights.

For any computer screen I created alien fonts and then had the screens write out messages that no-one ever figured out. Some sets had shadows from boom-mics. Signage also had messages.

If you're interested go to my website listed in my signature and see some of my work. I've not updated it in years because I was finding my images being ripped off and used on ebay items. In fact almost every TARDIS cover you see on ebay for any electronic device is one of my stolen images :( Hell even officially licensed stuff from the BBC have lifted my work without credit :(

I also have a lot of free 3D models in lightwave format only.

anyways back to the original thread. I agree you might want to skip the 50th anniversary special as it will be confusing as hell.

shrox
11-09-2013, 02:21 PM
To be honest, unless you're aged 14 or under, I don't think it's really meant for you anyhow ...

Brilliant!

It was on PBS in the 70's. Compared to the effects in Star Wars, 2001, or even When Worlds Collide, I found Doctor Who appalling.

LW_Will
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM

watch KINDA with and without the new effects as come back and repeat that statement. ;-)

LW_Will
11-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Brilliant!

It was on PBS in the 70's. Compared to the effects in Star Wars, 2001, or even When Worlds Collide, I found Doctor Who appalling.

Stipulated, sir. A given that the sets and "effects" (not using the term special here) were utter and total crap... except for the work that was done by Ron Thorton, of course.

BUT... the stories were amazing... up to the end of Davidson. (some of the stories in the McCoy area were okay.. but JNT had just lost the plot entirely.)

Now, in the new series the VFX has FINALLY hit a level that the stories had hit in the late '70's. Again I say, watch some new series Doctor Who, starting with ROSE (sorry, called it RUN before) the first episode. Sort of rejiggers the tenets of the series.

Megalodon2.0
11-09-2013, 04:33 PM

All of those shows you mentioned had MUCH larger budgets - even the meager budget for WWC was large compared to TV not to mention the time constraints. Better to compare movies like Star Wars and Damnation Alley that came out the same year. For the time it was made and the as stated - VERY slim budget - Doctor Who was great. I easily recall the sci fi shows of the 50's and 60's and while the FX were not very believable (like the ants in THEM!) they still drew me into the story. It was the story and acting apparently that really mattered. Poor sets were in so many shows, but if you allowed that to drag you out of the story, then you failed to enjoy MOST of the shows from that era.

There are many people who say "that one shot in Lord of the Rings, Return of the King was so bad it took me out of the story." Really? I mean REALLY? As a viewer, are there really people "out there" who are such sticklers for perfection that they can't enjoy the show? Look at all of the Irwin Allen stuff. While the effects and sets were okay for their time, many still did not look real. So? You CHOOSE to suspend your disbelief. You use your imagination. I LOVED Lost in Space (especially the first B&W season) and many of the sets and effects were... not that great. I still enjoyed the show. (Let's not get into the silliness of later seasons. :))

The point is... shows like Doctor Who relied on your imagination as well as good writing and relatively good acting. IMO they were both brilliant! And I'm quite sure that the people who worked on those shows worked their butts off to try to give the audience as much help in their disbelief that they could. I tip my hat to everyone who worked on those shows and THANK them for giving me a thoroughly enjoyable series. Blakes 7 also had shaky and wobbly sets, but that didn't stop me from enjoying those episodes either.

bobakabob
11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
All of those shows you mentioned had MUCH larger budgets - even the meager budget for WWC was large compared to TV not to mention the time constraints. Better to compare movies like Star Wars and Damnation Alley that came out the same year. For the time it was made and the as stated - VERY slim budget - Doctor Who was great. I easily recall the sci fi shows of the 50's and 60's and while the FX were not very believable (like the ants in THEM!) they still drew me into the story. It was the story and acting apparently that really mattered. Poor sets were in so many shows, but if you allowed that to drag you out of the story, then you failed to enjoy MOST of the shows from that era.

There are many people who say "that one shot in Lord of the Rings, Return of the King was so bad it took me out of the story." Really? I mean REALLY? As a viewer, are there really people "out there" who are such sticklers for perfection that they can't enjoy the show? Look at all of the Irwin Allen stuff. While the effects and sets were okay for their time, many still did not look real. So? You CHOOSE to suspend your disbelief. You use your imagination. I LOVED Lost in Space (especially the first B&W season) and many of the sets and effects were... not that great. I still enjoyed the show. (Let's not get into the silliness of later seasons. :))

The point is... shows like Doctor Who relied on your imagination as well as good writing and relatively good acting. IMO they were both brilliant! And I'm quite sure that the people who worked on those shows worked their butts off to try to give the audience as much help in their disbelief that they could. I tip my hat to everyone who worked on those shows and THANK them for giving me a thoroughly enjoyable series. Blakes 7 also had shaky and wobbly sets, but that didn't stop me from enjoying those episodes either.

Well said, agree with every word :) Despite the crappy wobbly sets with flaking silver paint in both Dr Who and Lost in Space, the best episodes were er...fun. For Dr Who look up the Silurians in the 70s, they were genuinely creepy and alien simply because you didn't see much of them, it was more to do with the effect of the horrific sound of their strangulated breathing that worked on your imagination. Also Zachary Smith and the Robot were such an incredible double act it didn't matter that the paper mâché boulders quivered with every line. It was the same with the classic 70s Star Trek episodes. The effects were minimal due to cheapness but less is more after all, and the emphasis was on good characterisation and storytelling. Plain daft but compelling.

IMHO the best Dr Who was Peter Cushing in the two sheeite Dalek films made in the 60s I saw in a seafront cinema on a rainy day in Scarborough as a kiddie. The FX are terrible but the acting and stories are a hoot :)

Megalodon2.0
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
IMHO the best Dr Who was Peter Cushing in the two sheeite Dalek films made in the 60s I saw in a seafront cinema on a rainy day in Scarborough as a kiddie. The FX are terrible but the acting and stories are a hoot :)

Interesting that you bring up those two movies...

I JUST received from Amazon today the DVD with both of those Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies - haven't even opened the package yet. I remembered seeing them (probably in the 70's) and REALLY liked them. It was relatively cheap and I needed something to get to the free shipping price. ;)

bobakabob
11-09-2013, 05:03 PM

I JUST received from Amazon today the DVD with both of those Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies - haven't even opened the package yet. I remembered seeing them (probably in the 70's) and REALLY liked them. It was relatively cheap and I needed something to get to the free shipping price. ;)

Great, the FX are bloody awful but Peter Cushing is the perfect Dr Who and we get to see Roy Castle unscrew the lid of a Dalek :)

shrox
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM
It just doesn't work for me. Kind of like "The Starlost"

Phil
11-09-2013, 06:27 PM

The Rifftrax guys have tackled whichever one of those deals with the Daleks. It's still dreadful.

Davewriter
11-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I know I poke fun at... but really, growing up there were not all that many options. What few "SF" shows there were, only showed one time a week. Usually no more than one or two per network. All three of them. So things like Doctor Who were (in many cases) happily latched onto... because they were there. Do I remember complete episodes - or even fun scenes - like I do from Star Trek OST? No to the hell! But the good Doctor was there to remind us that there were different flavors of SF out there.
And he could keep the home fires burning until...

Megalodon2.0
11-09-2013, 07:46 PM
The Rifftrax guys have tackled whichever one of those deals with the Daleks. It's still dreadful.

I don't know who the "Rifftrax guys" are, but BOTH dealt with the Daleks. Dreadful to you, not to many others. ;)

meshpig
11-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Yes but you have to have been gripped way before adolescence so that you still shudder at the mere sight of a Cyberman even though as an adult it reads like a local drama group telling stories about life in Biritain during WW2. It's full of subtle wit ( for what it's worth) lost on amreicans who have only recently grasped the simple concept of irony.

I'm not an anglophile but the Brits do have this great tradition of local theatre and often their TV stuff is way above Hollywood as everything ends up as TV anyway.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Dreadful to you, not to many others. ;)

Yeah. To each his own but I doubt even the most casual sci-fi fan would dismiss Doctor Who after after taking in all the Eccleston/Tennant seasons.

Megalodon2.0
11-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Yeah. To each his own but I doubt even the most casual sci-fi fan would dismiss Doctor Who after after taking in all the Eccleston/Tennant seasons.

You'd be surprised. My wife doesn't like Doctor Who though she did watch a few Tennant episodes. She's just not a fan and never watched the old episodes. And she can't stand the Daleks AT ALL - their voices grate in her head. ;)

Me... I started watching the PBS shows here in the early 70's (I think) with Jon Pertwee. Then they re-televised the older episodes with Hartnell and Troughton - it took a while to get used to the older ones since they were so different from Pertwee and then Baker, but each one had such great character that I couldn't help but enjoy their strange idiosyncrasies. And I watched all the way through to the end - and now we have more, thank goodness. :)

Edit. I just read that Matt Smith will leave Dr. Who after the Dec '13 Christmas Special. That sucks. But the new Doctor is someone that has appeared on the series (and Torchwood) before - Peter Capaldi.

kadri
11-10-2013, 03:47 AM
Subjective probably but i really think in general Dr. Who is a bad show because of the format .
It tries to be a family show that is sometimes too silly and sometimes scary
with science fiction and fable like stories that have to be shoot , acted and whatever in a an short time.
I liked the books as i was a kid and when i saw an episode i was surprised how bad it looked.
After the new run from 2005 that is not much a problem anymore but as everybody does know here around that is not the only problem.

So much i think that the episodes in general are bad (or not so good) when you begin to watch it after 2-3 episodes,
you feel that you have to watch the other episodes too.
But then many serials tend to have that effect.

I think the main reason why i still watch it , is , i kinda think that i can see behind the bad episodes
what the writer-s could have made if they had the time and money .
Story wise there are sometimes very nice sparkling episodes (if mostly only moments in the episode)
that makes you feel that the next episodes will have much better moments , that unfortunately not always comes true.
In the end i could not recommend it for anyone easily , my wife doesn't like it too .
She can not look over the silly parts.It is a too childish for her. And she is right mostly.
But then there are those lines like " The roman soldier that waited for 2000 years"
or "The girl that waited" or "Silence will come"
that makes you feel much more then what is really are shown on the screen...

50one
11-10-2013, 04:28 AM
I hate Dr. Who and probably never watch it, to me it's the same league as Power Rangers - although PR show is directed at kids, dr. Who is trying to reach much broader audience so you're getting this 'Harry Potter' feel to it - mostly adult show with strange 'kiddie' stuff here and there or vice-versa.

dwburman
11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't know who the "Rifftrax guys" are, but BOTH dealt with the Daleks. Dreadful to you, not to many others. ;)

Mike Nelson from MSTK3000 and friends. I haven't looked into what they're doing lately, but Rifftrax started as audio commentaries you could buy to play along with movies.

danielkaiser
11-12-2013, 04:56 AM

Come on all your friends are doing it.

shrox
11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Ok, it's confirmed. I just don't like Doctor Who.

erikals
11-25-2013, 01:36 PM
you raised above it...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

shrox
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
you raised above it...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

He had like 168 hours straight to hook me too...

Oedo 808
11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
When I was a kid I really enjoyed watching the Sylvester McCoy Dr Who, I can even remember how hilariously low budget it was at times but back then I didn't have to make any effort to look past it, nor did I require a masterpiece of storytelling. I've struggled to get into it more recently though. A while ago I caught an episode of the spinoff, Torchwood: Miracle Day, and I quite enjoyed it and a few months back it was repeated on one of the Sky channels so I watched the story it and while it wobbled a bit, generally I thought it was very good, certainly in comparison to Doctor Who.

It was obviously a push to make the big time with North American audiences as I seem to remember seeing an early episode that was quite naff, but I can't help think it was a bit too dark and his character a bit too openly gay to have helped, though I might be doing the US audience a disservice there. I know that Doctor Who isn't supposed to be big budget and that's part of its charm but I caught the end of Children of Earth and I think I just preferred the stories to anything I saw in Doctor Who, might have to give it another shot and see if it works out any differently for me than it did for Shrox.

Megalodon2.0
11-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Well I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Doctor Who week on BBC America. Absolutely wonderful seeing so many older episodes and re-watching the really old episodes showing the past Doctors. The show featuring how Doctor Who got started was also interesting and entertaining. Now I'm looking forward to the Christmas special and the new Doctor Who - I suppose will debut sometime here in the States in late Spring or Summer?

Been a Doctor Who fan since the early to mid 70's and still going strong. I wonder what it will look like in another 50 years? :)

BeeVee
11-27-2013, 05:59 AM
I was very pleased to see it in 3D on our TV (they all seem to come with it now, it wasn't a conscious choice). The effect was far better used than most of the 3D films I've seen at the cinema and it was only post-processed into 3D! Shame the Beeb didn't really publicise the fact that it was in 3D...

B

danielkaiser
11-27-2013, 06:30 AM
I was very pleased to see it in 3D on our TV (they all seem to come with it now, it wasn't a conscious choice). The effect was far better used than most of the 3D films I've seen at the cinema and it was only post-processed into 3D! Shame the Beeb didn't really publicise the fact that it was in 3D...

B

I was told that it was spectacular in IMAX 3D, 2 theaters in my area showed it on Monday, but ticket prices at $18.00 is a little bit much for a TV show.

It was second largest grossing film for Monday, Hunger Games was number one.

jeric_synergy
11-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Ok, it's confirmed. I just don't like Doctor Who.
It's OK: you aren't British.

(Back in the day, I couldn't get over ANY of the BBC production's production values. Awful. And the SF ones were the worst.)

When I want good writing coupled with tight budget constraints, I'd rather watch Babylon 5.