PDA

View Full Version : Motion capture/retarget on unusual shared characters

snsmoore
11-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Anyone have any ideas on the best approach to get Nevron Kinect motion capture and retargeting to work the best with a character that doesn't fit normal human proportions?

I've got a character with similar shape to "the cube" from the documentation (basically head and torso are combined) and am wondering what the best approach would be to motion capture and retarget to it. (I know that it won't be perfect since the motion capture will be based on my proportions/morphology)

-shawn

snsmoore
11-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Oh great, just noticed the typo in my title.

Anyway, I tried using the Genoma-Nevron rig with some success.

1) Basically in modeller, I fit the legs and arm genoma skelegons onto the character, set up weight maps and then left the head skelegon within the body (since the character has no head but a torso with the face). I also expanded the torso hold bones(I think that's what they are) to fill into more of the torso.
2) Brought it into Layout and created the rig
3) Loaded this rigged character into the Nevron Skeloton scene and retargeted.
4) I didn't do any retargeting on the head, neck and only did the lower spine

It worked *ok*. The feet seemed to slide around more than I liked and any hip rotation on my part drastically rotated my character (that wasn't a bad thing....just seemed sensitive) Some of these quirks may be do to the distance between my character's legs, which is much further apart than a normal human would be.

-shawn

ps: I may just remove the head bones after the rig is created to clean things up - not sure if the retargeting or the rig will have problems with this.....

jwiede
11-08-2013, 12:36 PM
It would help if we could get some notion of the proportions your character has, even if you cannot show the character itself. Your last sentence (before your sig) makes the char's proportions sound wildly off, in which case it could easily explain what you're seeing. Hard to say without some idea of proportions, though.

snsmoore
11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
It would help if we could get some notion of the proportions your character has, even if you cannot show the character itself. Your last sentence (before your sig) makes the char's proportions sound wildly off, in which case it could easily explain what you're seeing. Hard to say without some idea of proportions, though.

Yeah, lemme see if I can rig up "the cube" the same way (it has a similar shape) and provide some feedback, since that character is available in the content. (I think)

-shawn

snsmoore
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Ok, I think I've figured out how to get acceptable results, using the sugar cube character from the 11.5 content(which should apply to my character as well).

The kinect skeleton is naturally pointing its feet downward, which makes most rigs have awkward foot positioning when capturing. (When adjusting your character to the kinect skeleton, if you match this funky angle of the feet, your foot positioning will be much better!)

Here's the kinect skeleton: 118086

So I used the standard nevron-genoma rig and kind of fit it into the cube as follows, applying weight maps to only the bones I'm using (i.e. I skipped the head bones)

Then I pulled it into layout, created the rig, saved the rig, loaded the kinect 0 skeleton scene, loaded the cube character into that scene and matched the character with the kinect skeleton (I resized the master null of the kinect skeleton, then used the controls to rotate the legs to match the kinect skeleton)

Finally I retargeted based on the Kinect Player 0 preset, but did not retarget SKL0_Head or SKL0_Spine3.)

The result was the cube moved pretty well and the feet seemed to be parallel to where the ground plane would be. Here's a frame during my motion capture.