PDA

View Full Version : octane render - spherical camera 360 FOV ???

benedict_ilagan
11-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Hi guys,

Does octane render in LW can render a spherical camera 360 FOV ???

I'm looking for a possible solution if octane render can handle a 360 FOV spherical camera which 3ds max thru vray option has the ability to render a dome / panoramic view map. Which i needed to know if octane render in lightwave can handle the same panoramic rendition.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
thanks

Sensei
11-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Does Octane supports custom LightWave cameras?
If yes, you can use TrueArt's Environment Baking Camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq5yRATeFms
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

alexos
11-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Yes, there is a dedicated panoramic camera, supporting both spherical and cylindrical projections.

ADP.

Doctor49152
11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Octane has a great 360 camera. I use it to render out panoramas at 8192x4096 and then taking into Pano2VR. It's very fast.

It does not support LWs custom cameras.

benedict_ilagan
11-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Octane has a great 360 camera. I use it to render out panoramas at 8192x4096 and then taking into Pano2VR. It's very fast.

It does not support LWs custom cameras.

Hi doctor49152, thanks for your quick respond but
kindly please post a screengrab of your lightwave-octane render panel where the spherical camera 360 FOV settings coz i've worked on a pipeline this early year 2013 for a local movie using 3dsmax-octane render but none is available so our production pipeline seek the vray spherical FOV 360 camera instead.

Doctor49152
11-08-2013, 01:02 AM
ok. here's a frame grab showing the camera and it's settings for a 360 view (these are actually the default I believe)

benedict_ilagan
11-08-2013, 01:18 AM
ok. here's a frame grab showing the camera and it's settings for a 360 view (these are actually the default I believe)

THanks doctor49152
that's a sweet LW octane render setup

would there be any image distortion after LW octane render rendition???
I mean, image distortion specially once you tilt the camera pans (on pitch) up and down.
Coz I've tested and noticed after using a local advanced camera (spherical cam) were image distortion is very noticable.
Is LW-octane render the same too???

Doctor49152
11-08-2013, 03:02 PM
can you give me an example of the image distortion you're talking about? I know there's alway distortion with panorama views (otherwise they wouldn't work). Also if you're zoomed out there are edge stretching issues.

benedict_ilagan
11-09-2013, 03:56 AM
can you give me an example of the image distortion you're talking about? I know there's alway distortion with panorama views (otherwise they wouldn't work). Also if you're zoomed out there are edge stretching issues.

yeah, i've attached an test image sample of what i discribed as image distortion specially during wrapping on a sphere and when i moved the camera at 90 degrees on its pitch angle (looking down the bottom of sphere or/and even on top of the sphere) i get this

see attached image: as image001

but while the camera is on heading 0,90,180,270 & 360 degree angle, the image is at normal view mapped around the sphere and distortion is only happening at the bottom and top part of the sphere.

see also the actual 360 image map: 3d360_300001.jpg (lowres)

Doctor49152
11-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Ah.. ok I see what you mean.

I'm going to give you sort of a confusing answer :) Yes and no.

From my experience it does not create the 'pinched' effect with the visual part of the render. The textures and the actual object do not distort like that.

BUT the glow effect of lights does do the 'pinching' effect in the post processing of the image. There is also a dark line where the two edges meet.

The other way around this problem of 'pinching' is to render out 6 perfectly square images with the camera set to 90 degrees visible in horizontal and vertical. And put them back together in the cross style panoramic.

The image below is one of my renders looking straight up.