PDA

View Full Version : Using 6.5 in Classic

Glendalough
11-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Wondering if anyone would know can I use 6.5 in classic while having 7.5 installed in OS10?
-This on the new machines that only boot up in OS10, and won't start in 9.

Have worked sucessfully with both on the same machine (under different operating systems) in the earlier version of OS10 where 9 could start and be run on it's own.

Just wondering if things like preferances are going to clash or whether each will go to its respective folder............also, have 7.5 on at the moment, would 6.5 sort of refuse to go on, or refuse to go into the 9 applications folder.........

noiseboy
11-15-2003, 02:17 PM
you can move the preference files out of the default location for LW7.5, and redirect the cmdline files to the new location. Why not use LW6.5 in os x, it was one of the first programs ported.

Glendalough
11-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the reply noiseboy, my computer skills drop off to a very limited capacity when it comes to operating systems and how they work or what they are doing.......

It sounds a bit frightening, running them both on same OS. Any problems and and limited capacities could be easily overpowered.......

Really like the way certain aspects of 6.5 work in OS9. Modeler can run better and hypervoxel settings (for files originally created in 6.5) seem to come out slightly different in 7.5. Also some plugins have not been sorted out in 7.5 yet, or seem to run slower (very slow).......

noiseboy
11-16-2003, 08:28 AM
I have 7, 7.5 and 7.5c all running independently on one machine . In each Lightwave directory I have a Config Folder which stores the configs for modeler, lightwave Lscript etc. The cmdline files in the programs directory points to this directory therefore the configs are not overwritten by whichever program version is running. I dont think you can run 6.5 in Classic, something to do with the dongle software. At least that used to be the case, I havent tried for a long time...

toby
11-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I frequently run 2 copies of LW at the same time, first with 7.5 and now 7.5c - you have to disable the Hub and name one of the applications differently. I'm sure it would work with 6.5b.

Glendalough
11-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Yes, Lghtwave 6.5 sure doesn't seem to work well installed in 9. The scene files won't load and layout just stalls. Modeler won't open at all, computer says "application launch failure", something about shared library error.

So I just try to install next to 7.5? How do I disable the hub? Remember reading about this.....? Also installer on CD for 6.5 launches classic, 9 to install. But maybe this doesn't matter?

noiseboy
11-17-2003, 01:15 PM
If you go to ftp.newtek.com and navigate to mac os x patches you will find LW6.5b. this can be installed under os x, add your licence key and away you go...you will need the eve.framework to make the dongle work.

toby
11-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Easiest way to disable the hub is to pull the hub app out of the programs folder.

Glendalough
11-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks again for all your help! But unfortunately, am still at sea though.............

I know how to disable the hub -thanks Toby, but have spent an hour on the Newtek site trying to locate the ftp page, remember seeing it once but where's it gone? Also, wondering, noiseboy, what does "the eve.framework" mean?...........

Tried to phone the tech help at Newtek but they were very sorry they just couldn't answer the phone.........

Just wondering if a better approach would be to take the plug-ins from 6.5 and put them in respective folders in 7.5. How to name them? Would this work? I'm thinking of the hypervoxels-volumetric plugin (wonder is there a diffference) and the vector blur, in this there is diffinately two versions.........

Glendalough
11-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Above is 7.5 version.
Below is 6.5. -exact same scene file and frame
So different?????

noiseboy
11-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Glendalough
Thanks again for all your help! But unfortunately, am still at sea though.............

I know how to disable the hub -thanks Toby, but have spent an hour on the Newtek site trying to locate the ftp page, remember seeing it once but where's it gone? Also, wondering, noiseboy, what does "the eve.framework" mean?...........

Sorry, I should have been more precise you'll need a ftp client such as Fetch and connect to ftp.newtek.com, leave username and password empty. Navigate to pub/Patches/LightWave_MacOS_X/>.
The eve.framework is required so that the dongle is recognised in OS X,Its installed into the System library I think its also called Rainbow Sentinel driver, I've found a Eve sentinel driver here on the Rainbow web site, I guess its the right(only) one
http://www.rainbow.com/support/eveESC.asp although I got mine from the LW7 installer disk.
I hope this helps more than my last post.

Glendalough
11-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks alot for all the help.
Downloaded the patch with Fetch and admiring the newtek icon on desktop now.....
Think I have the rainbow driver part......see what happens...maybe wait until tomorrow......

toby
11-18-2003, 10:46 PM
I think trying to get 7.5 and 6.5 to render the same way will be an uphill battle. It's one reason 3D houses never update during a project -

Do the renders need to be identical - will they be used together? Do you need to go back and forth with the same scene file?

Glendalough
11-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Well maybe this about clears it up (Thanks noiseboy).....it seems to work as you said except i have to click on InitConfigs as i change between using the different Lightwave 6.5 and 7.5 programs, but assume this makes sense. Won't be going back and forth that much so shouldn't matter.

Only one more question......suppose I finish for a time with 6.5 and decide to remove it, maybe when 8 is out, or want to restore the original setup with just 7.5 and the hub, can I just trash the one folder with 6.5 in it?

-i.e. is this the only place that this version of lightwave is? I mean does lightwave just exist in one folder on the computer with no other parts in extensions or preferences etc........(does OSX have these?)..............

Anyway -Thanks again for all your help..........

Yes toby, think it really is to be avoided working on same project in 2 different applications........

mlinde
11-19-2003, 10:13 AM
Lightwave puts files in the following places (default installation)
OS 9
Extensions: USBSentinel, RainbowUSBSHim
Preferences: Lightwave, Modeler, Hub preferences, LScript prefs, (and probably more)
Somewhere on the HD: Lightwave application folder

OS 10.x
Applications: Lightwave 3D folder
Applications: OS 9 Dongle installer
System:Library:Frameworks:Eve3.framework
~user:Library:Preferences:
Lightwave .plist
Lightwave Extensions 3 Prefs
Lightwave Hub Prefs
Lightwave Modeler Prefs
LS/GN Prefs
LScript Prefs
LWSpreadsheet.cfg
Modeler .plist
(and possibly more)

noiseboy
11-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Glendalough
.it seems to work as you said except i have to click on InitConfigs as i change between using the different Lightwave 6.5 and 7.5 programs, and the hub, can I just trash

Mlinde can probaby confirm this but you shouldnt have to do the Initconfigs each time you change. You need to make sure that the cmdline is definitely pointed at the new config folder.

mlinde
11-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Gee, thanks :cool:

If you map your configuration files to a location _other_ than the defaults, you can have as many versions of LW running (without the Hub, I think) as you want. From your problem, it sounds like the 6.5 install is mapping configs to the ~user/Library/Preferences, which is configurable in your Classic Control Pane.

Force LW to look elsewhere for the configs by editing the cmdLine files in the Lightwave : programs folder to point to a directory of your choice.

Glendalough
11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
so my cmdLine files are blank at the moment (modeler and Ltwave), which is the default?

If i write in: ~user/Library/Preferences2, this should solve the problem (and make a folder called Preferences2 in the Library)?

To be more precise, copy the hub cmdline and change to:

-c"Macintosh HD:Users:jamespowers:Library:Preferences2"

mlinde
11-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Yes, however I recommend NOT keeping those files in the Library folder, rather somewhere closer to the applications.
I have a "config" file inside my Lightwave folder, which I point to.

Glendalough
11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
My server was not working the past day or so........Thanks for all your help. It seems to work as you said, except I had to load a pile of plugins when opening a file, but just the first time. Anyway, doesn't seem to interfere with the working of 7.5 which is the main thing...............Thanks Again...........