PDA

View Full Version : New Autodesk initiative puts Max and Maya in your browser

skype6
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Very interesting!

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/11/new-autodesk-initiative-puts-max-and-maya-in-your-browser/

cresshead
11-06-2013, 04:48 PM
software as a service....err no thanks

and of course they don't show the difference in selecting a 4k texture from the lcal hard drive on the laptop against uploading the texture via the net...

Red_Oddity
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
As long as it's optional, they can throw money at that cloud/SAAS ******** all they want, it's not like they invest heavily in updates these days anyway.

skype6
11-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Yes, you're probably right! These cloud based services ain't free. How will they meter usage, and how much will it cost?

pinkmouse
11-07-2013, 05:39 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/06/otoy_octanecloud_aws_images/

Surrealist.
11-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Pretty cool idea. Lagoa has been coming along as well. Very interesting tech. The rendering part interests me quite a bit.

spherical
11-07-2013, 02:05 PM
There are so many points of failure with this, it's nearly funny.

creacon
11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
What a great idea, separate the user from the computer and have several people work on the same machine at the same time from a distance. Oh wait we had that 25 years ago before the PC. LOL

robertoortiz
11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
software as a service....err no thanks

...What he said...

Megalodon2.0
11-07-2013, 04:11 PM
What he said...

+1

Dodgy
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I have enough time wasted sending 50 meg scenes to other artists when I'm done with them, now I'm going to upload them to the cloud while working on them? And they're the small ones... Hmmm....

JonW
11-08-2013, 12:12 AM
It's slow enough on a gigabit network when a scene has numerous image sequences of moving people plus a stack of textures. Many gigabytes later.........!

Ernest
11-08-2013, 02:31 AM
While I don't see me modeling or animating in a browser, I really (really!) wouldn't mind being able to use Amazon as my render farm.

Whoever designed the popup panels to pop up within the same browser tab so that you can't drag them over, out of the way, to the other monitor, as it seems to be the case in the video, I think made a massive mistake.

Surrealist.
11-08-2013, 03:30 AM
This is where technology is going. Another innovator, the developer of the Lagoa sytem for ICE in Softimage, is now at the head of a similar project that is making leaps and bounds since it was first introduced a few months ago

http://home.lagoa.com/

I have not even used this my Lagoa account much yet so I can not even comment on it or even the particular aspects of Autodesk offering.

But since one of the smartest people in 3D is doing it I suspect it is something to pay attention to. That's just me. No conclusions yet. But it looks promising.

So just a suggestion.... maybe just maybe... it might be a good idea to at least check out what this is all about first before making conclusions. Obviously the technology is not the same as using a desktop so I have never considered I'd be using it in the exact same way. But there are lots of other uses and workflows to consider.

It is easy to set up a Lagoa account and it is free. There are lots of really cool features. Give it a try.

Interesting about the Autodesk offering that Lagoa lacks is that you are using an already established set of tools that you don't have with Lagoa - yet.

Ztreem
11-08-2013, 06:38 AM
This is interesting. Not that I think it will make the use of a desktop computer disappear, but I would love to be able to do simple game model concepts in LW from my Iphone or Ipad sitting anywhere. Then I can continue to work on them at my desktop when I have more time.

BigHache
11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
The thing that sticks out to me is if my ISP borks one day and I miss a deadline because my software is only online, not only is this service is dead to me but all other software that follows the same model. That's not even a chance I'm interested in exploring.

I also imagine this is an automatic no-go for secured locations like government jobs or even certain corporate jobs.

I can see definite benefits, but I think there are more cons.

spherical
11-08-2013, 10:33 PM
True. What sticks out to me is the fact that browsers aren't all that stable. Many hog RAM like it's going out of style. So, I'm relying on an underlying platform that is displaying the model I am working on and making modifications to. The browser decides that it just can't handle it anymore and packs up. Not an unusual occurrence; and this happens on mere web pages.

Tranimatronic
11-09-2013, 12:20 AM
So Autodesk took a long look at Adobe's performance with CreativeCloud and thought it was a GOOD thing ? Gee lets jump on board THAT ship ! toot toot !

Surrealist.
11-09-2013, 12:47 AM
No. This is something entirely different. Yes it is a cloud and yes it is potentially creative.

Checked out Lagoa yet? It is free.

EDIT: And oh by the way... regardless of the similarities (which there are many and mostly positive in my view) you have to consider that they did not start planning this after Adobe. If they did and are launching this now I want to know what cereal they have for breakfast over there because I could use some.

And joking aside, really, this is not going to be the last you hear of this kind of thing. It has been brewing for many years even before Adobe - who are ate to the party in reality.

So I don't know. Don't be so quick to judge what you don't fully understand yet. I am not. Just saying have a look at Lagoa. Pretty impressive and the potential is there. And there is apparently a huge market for this stuff, which is why the start-ups have been doing it for years and why the corporations are starting to catch on.

Surrealist.
11-21-2013, 07:38 AM
If you want to check out more what is happening with this technology check this out:

http://home.lagoa.com/2013/11/lagoa-and-cgarchitect-com-live-webinar-on-nov-27th/