PDA

View Full Version : Imported DXFs and LWCad

Philbert
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm working on a job where the client sent me some DXF CAD drawings. I used the DXF Import in LWCad 4.51 and it seemed to work pretty well. Not perfect, but well enough. I tried to make some changes to some of the curves but the tools aren't working on them. For example, using a rectangle with Add, Subtract, Intersect, or Cut enabled doesn't connect or cut the imported curves. Also, if I draw new curves and connect them to the ends of the imported ones they stay separate when I click Join. Can anyone say if there's something I have to do to make them act the same as the curves I draw?

Danner
11-06-2013, 01:21 PM
What happens if you convert the LWcad curves to LW curves?

Some drawings are hard to import for some reason. If you have access to autocad or illustrator you can import the dxf and do some clean up there before export. "Explode" all elements and get rid of the hidden garbage. If you go the illustrator route export as .ai version 8 and import as .eps in LW. Lately I've been getting cleaner results with .ai than dxf.

Philbert
11-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I actually sent this message to Viktor first then posted here because I figured it would be in the middle of the night and he would be asleep. But no, he responded right away anyway. Crazy thing, I imported again to send him a sample and this time it worked fine. So I don't know what the deal is but I sent him a sample of the ones that don't work anyway. I tried your suggestion of converting to LW Curves and had the same result. I'll just work around this I guess. Maybe something weird just happened during import.

Oh BTW current versions of Illustrator don't export below version 9. I found that out the hard way

Philbert
11-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I found the problem LWCad draws everything on 0, the X-Z ground plane in this case. My DXF shapes were a few feet above the ground plane so the new lines I was drawing were not actually making contact with the DXF shapes.

lertola2
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Oh BTW current versions of Illustrator don't export below version 9. I found that out the hard way

Wow that really stinks. Why would Adobe remove such a vital feature as exporting Illustrator 8 format?

spherical
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
<adobe>Nobody uses old software, do they?</adobe>

Philbert
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow that really stinks. Why would Adobe remove such a vital feature as exporting Illustrator 8 format?

No idea but I'm using Illustrator CS6 and I couldn't find any way to export that format and the current format would not import into LW.

spherical
11-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Illustrator CS6 saves both .ai and .eps all the way back to version 3. File > SaveAs... Choose the type you want, in the next dialog box where it all happens, there's a drop-down right at the top to select the version.

Philbert
11-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Ah, you're right. I didn't see it before. I must have been expecting it to list the versions in the "Save As" requester but it only says AI, probably didn't realize more comes after that. I don't generally use Illustrator for anything.

spherical
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Ah, good. You had me goin' there for a bit. We keep CS5.5 and CS2 installed; just for backward compatibility protection. This proved valuable when CS6 was installed and we tried to open an Illustrator file created in CS2. Complained that it couldn't completely read the format and some aspects may not come in. Opened it in CS5.5 and saved as that version. Opened the CS5.5 version in CS6 and the conversion from CS2 to CS6 was completed. Not having that interim version would have cost a lot of time and effort.

sadkkf
11-08-2013, 09:23 AM
<adobe>nobody uses old software, do they?</adobe>

roflmao

+1