PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

digitalimagery
11-06-2013, 10:56 AM
When I build logo models I break them up into three layers, the face, rounded bevel (or hard bevel) and extrusion. I do this so I can use various levels of smoothing on the different parts. For example the bevel and extrusion would have smoothing active but the face would not. This (obviously) eliminates facets on the curved areas but leaves the face flat.

My question is, Can I just leave all three parts on one layer if I select each piece independently and identify them with the "Change Surface" dialog (Q key). Can each part have independent surface attributes yet stay on the same layer?

Thanks,
DI

JoePoe
11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey DI

Absolutely. They can even be connected.

(just checking.... did you get my pm's?)

Sensei
11-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Can each part have independent surface attributes yet stay on the same layer?

But you have to remember to not use Merge Points..

digitalimagery
11-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks Sensei, a valuable point.

DI

JoePoe
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Why? I've never had a problem.
There's probably some technical reason.... I've just never had a render issue.

richhelvey
11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Sure you can Merge Points. I do that all the time (Actually I don't because the points are never unwelded in the first place, but same thing). I extrude my text, select the faces and bevel them (then go in and fix anything bevelling screwed up), select just the faces, change surface to FACE. '-' to hide selected polys. Select bevels, change surface to BEVEL, hide selected polys, change surface to EDGES. Show all hidden geometry. Face surface has smoothing turned off, Bevels and Edges usually set to 35 degrees, but that can change depending on the bevel type.

Sensei
11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Read what digitalimagery wrote "I do this so I can use various levels of smoothing on the different parts."
After merging points, smoothing gained by separation of surfaces will be gone..

richhelvey
11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Not if they have different surfaces

JoePoe
11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Not if they have different surfaces

Right. As per his last line....

...My question is, Can I just leave all three parts on one layer if I select each piece independently and identify them with the "Change Surface" dialog (Q key). Can each part have independent surface attributes yet stay on the same layer?

spherical
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I do this all the time, too, merged points and all. Many times, the rounded edge poly count is high, so the angle between them is low. If I do not set different smoothing levels on the top of, say, a polished marble counter, the reflection will get messed up, due to the smoothing of the edges "leaking over" onto the top and trying to smooth the whole top poly. Setting the top poly at a different angle, or turning smoothing off altogether, cures the problem. The reflection renders as expected and the edges are still smoothed.

Slartibartfast
11-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Also, remember that smoothing is depending on the angle between neighbouring polys. If you add geometry like this pictures (angle = 0 degrees between flat poly and it's adjacent polyloop) it won't be subject to smoothing.

Make extra bevels with just an inset to get rid of smoothing errors.

Cheers / Slartibartfast

jeric_synergy
11-09-2013, 02:12 PM
1) ??? I thought smoothing doesn't happen across different surfaces.

2) BUT, what if you'd like the same surface to have a hard edge, and you need to make UNMERGABLE POINTS? IIRC, Sensei told me this tip: CUT the part that needs to be separate, PASTE it back and keep it selected, then make an Endomorph and move the selected bit far away. Points that are spatially separated via an endomorph will NEVER merge, so they are 'protected'.

You won't really use the morph as a morph, it's only to prevent the points from being merged. You just continue to use the Base object.