PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Discreet/Autodesk Combustion*?

aquinde
11-05-2013, 04:23 PM
I may well be the only person still using Combustion* and it's only a matter of time before it stops working for me as OSes get updated so I'm looking for a replacement. I work mainly on Mac these days (though I still boot to Windows for Combustion & Deep Exploration) and I mainly do stills rather than motion.

I'd rather not spend a fortune and would prefer a nodal workflow and would like to stay away from Adobe Cloud. I'd also like something that supports .aex or .ofx plugins because I'm hooked on the Sapphire plugins.

The new Hitfilm2 was intriguing for a minute but it's a bit too 'lite', doesn't import .rpf or .exr and has no Paint system.

I'll probably just 'suck it up' and get re-acquainted with After Effects but I'd really really really like to explore some alternatives. I'd almost rather spring for Autodesk Smoke than go the Adobe route.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Dodgy
11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.sgo.es/mambafx/
This might be worth a look. It's based on a higher end compositor, has painting, is node based, sounds right up your alley. Only 239 euros at the moment. If I hadn't paid for Hitfilm months ago I would have picked this up myself.

aquinde
11-05-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.sgo.es/mambafx/
This might be worth a look. It's based on a higher end compositor, has painting, is node based, sounds right up your alley. Only 239 euros at the moment. If I hadn't paid for Hitfilm months ago I would have picked this up myself.

Thanks Dodgy.
I was looking at that too but its Windows only I believe.

Markc
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I think the only 'nodal' compositing software is Nuke (damn expensive) and Fusion (windows only).
Its' a shame Hitfilm doesn't import exr's, thanks for the heads-up.

I have pondered many a time about After Effects, but didn't fancy the 'linear workflow' and since the CC change, that's no longer an option for me.

I still use Shake, it does all I need :)

(this doesn't really help you though, sorry)

aquinde
11-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Mambafx looks like a real powerhouse for that price point, if only there were a Mac version. Grrrr.

Yog
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
You might want to try Blender.
The compositor in Blender is actually quite capable, maybe a bit more sluggish on the larger comps, but surprisingly well featured.

wesleycorgi
11-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I think the only 'nodal' compositing software is Nuke (damn expensive) and Fusion (windows only).

I've used Fusion in Parallels. The VFX Haiku guy has a tutorial on running Fusion within Parallels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxKIaWI_UIk

I was watching a Smoke demo on Youtube — if money was no issue, I would jump in that direction as well.

aquinde
11-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Hmmm. I do like Fusion in principle, but I generally have little trust in Parallels, despite the money I've sunk into it (Parallels, not Fusion) over the years.

I don't mean to be difficult, and I truly appreciate all of these replies. But I'd like to believe that there are others who will benefit from these dialogs. So please, keep the replies coming :)