PDA

View Full Version : Node Editor

nnabdu
11-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Is there any description for all the Node editor parameters and using?

nnabdu
11-06-2013, 12:44 PM
no answers

RebelHill
11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I see you found it.. http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?p=271810#post271810

khan973
11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
As we say, RTFM :)
No offense, but people take time to write manuals, it's for us to read them!
Manual s the first place to look for answers.

nnabdu
11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
yes thanks RebelHill,,,

nnabdu
11-08-2013, 08:34 AM
where can I found the Node Editor manual the PDF file..
It's missing from the LW folder ..
thanks

sadkkf
11-08-2013, 09:04 AM

I'd have to agree in general, but still, using 11.5, when I press F1 I get the help file for LW10.

I've also discovered missing bits from the manual in the past.

All in all, good place to start though.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Also, there's THREE separate manuals, and the occasional subject is difficult to pin down (most are clear of course).

Like, for instance, IIRC the nodes info is mostly in the Surfacing & Rendering PDF. Which, if you're using the Displacement Node Editor, is not entirely obvious.

Since PDF supports linking, a central PDF to gather all the subjects in one place would be Good.

samscudder
01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I can't find anywhere how to export the node editor image... I have a 1920x1080 screen, but I can only see part of the image... is there any way to create a png (apart from stiching several screens together)?

spherical
01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
You mean you can only see a portion of the node tree? Zooming the Node Editor out a bit may fit them all in, then do a screen grab. Or, I don't understand what "Node Editor image" is.

greg.reyna
01-15-2014, 09:17 PM
IMHO, regarding nodes, the Lightwave manual is for those with an 'intermediate' skill level, at best. There's not really any help in there on how to think about nodal surfacing. And for those of us with zero math background, we've got no framework on which to hang the way nodes work. RHN Nodal Tutorials is the ticket for me. I don't want the doctor buttering me up with how easy it is to deal with my condition of ignorance. I want the bad news right away. Ha. No, really, buy the tutorial sets. It's the best investment you can make if you don't understand nodes. There's no magic bullet, but at least now I know what I don't know..

Greg

samscudder
01-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Hey Spherical, thanks for the reply...

I'm trying to produce a large (let's say poster size) illustration of several node setups for documentation purposes. They're quite large, and when I zoom to fit it all in, I can no longer read what the text is. I was wondering if there was any way to export the whole diagram as an image in one go, so I'm not limited to grabbing a 1920 x 1080 image at a time and stitching a whole load of them together in an image editor.

I'm looking for something like an export to PNG option or even print option. Here's an example. If I blow up the image the text is illegible.

jeric_synergy
01-16-2014, 08:10 PM
samscudder, that's a good idea: "Export Network Image to PDF" would be quite convenient, esp. for documentation.

However, is it worth the programming resources it would require to code it? There's several Node Editor features ("reveal original node type/name", for instance) I'd like a LOT more.

spherical
01-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm trying to produce a large (let's say poster size) illustration of several node setups for documentation purposes. They're quite large, and when I zoom to fit it all in, I can no longer read what the text is. I was wondering if there was any way to export the whole diagram as an image in one go, so I'm not limited to grabbing a 1920 x 1080 image at a time and stitching a whole load of them together in an image editor.

Ah, got it. Well, I haven't previously encountered a node tree that extensive, but I see your dilemma. Looks like stitching is the only option at this point. Perhaps Fog a Feature Request and also post this in the Feature Request forum, so that the Devs will know something along these lines will be useful.

jeric_synergy
01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Another (possible) option is: On a two-monitor system, orient the network horizontally.

Depending on the network, large chunks can be grouped into Compound Nodes. These can be illustrated sequentially in a PSD or PDF.

greg.reyna
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Now that I'm finally getting down to doing just that, getting up close & personal with the LW 10 Surfacing & Rendering manual, I find in it 14 references to a "Manual_Examples" library of presets that apparently never got installed, or included in any Content archive. So far, no one here on the Forums or at Newtek is coming forward with this directory. I still have hope. I'd say that each of the missing examples represents more than one missing 'page' in the manual. --Just sayin'