PDA

View Full Version : Image Viewer not working with 11.6

eKalb
11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
So far I have been unable to render anything with 11.6 (pre releases and final release)

Actually, it goes through the entire render process, but when it is done it brings up the image viewer and it is just solid white, and layout freezes. I have to End Task in Task Manager. LW 11.5 and earlier all work fine.

I have tried uninstalling and deleting all 11.6 config files and reinstalling fresh with no luck. The installer did get hung up at least one time when installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Redistributable. I have tried installing that from Microsoft's website directly.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Or anyone else having this happen to them?

P.S. Layout also freezes in the same manner when I click the VPR settings button and go to Add Display -> 3DVisionPro.

spherical
11-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Unable to reproduce, 64-bit or 32-bit. Of course, these aren't freezing either.

Only thing that comes to mid is the right-hand-most dropdown in Image Viewer says "Alpha" instead of "Image"; but that wouldn't be cause for a crash.

That which may cause a freeze upon Image Viewer display would be 11.6 requires a different video driver than 11.5 did.

funk
11-02-2013, 11:10 PM
They have updated the image viewer with some sort of hardware 3d support (so your drivers may be causing problems).
It works for me, but I can no longer minimize the viewer properly (the image remains maximized outside the viewer window).

I would try different drivers to see if it helps

Ma3rk
11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
They have updated the image viewer with some sort of hardware 3d support (so your drivers may be causing problems).
It works for me, but I can no longer minimize the viewer properly (the image remains maximized outside the viewer window).

I would try different drivers to see if it helps

Ah. Yes, that's happening to me too and was going to post something later today to see if anyone else was having that issue. More of a minor annoyance than anything.

SaT
11-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Another problem I notice is that it does not become the active window any more and the Render Status windows does not auto-close.

HenrikSkoglund
11-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Have you guys gotten this to work better yet? I have huge problems with 11.6 since it's hanging/freezing up not only in the image viewer, but randomly (it seems) in other places of the software as well. Often it freezes up when I start the software and before I even loaded up a scene. I even tried it on a couple of PC's here and it's the same thing on all.

eKalb
11-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I am still having problems, I tried updating my graphics card driver, but it is up to date already. I might try a previous version tonight and see if it works.

spherical
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Have you guys gotten this to work better yet? I have huge problems with 11.6 since it's hanging/freezing up not only in the image viewer, but randomly (it seems) in other places of the software as well. Often it freezes up when I start the software and before I even loaded up a scene.

I tracked this down to firewall rules. Only 11.6 Final had a problem. Nuking the existing rules and letting the firewall create new ones cured it.

I even tried it on a couple of PC's here and it's the same thing on all.

Same firewall on all machines?

HenrikSkoglund
11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
I tracked this down to firewall rules. Only 11.6 Final had a problem. Nuking the existing rules and letting the firewall create new ones cured it.

Same firewall on all machines?

I think it's the same on all the computers, it's Win7's default firewall. Thanks for the tip though, I'll try this out and see if it helps.

eKalb
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks spherical, I will try that as soon as I get home.

spherical
11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
In another thread (can't locate right now--this search facility blows) the rules were preventing either Layout or Modeler (not at the same time) from starting in registered mode. I'd start one and it would be fine, start the other, it would take a loooooong time and finally come up in Discovery Mode.

Ma3rk
11-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Ah. Yes, that's happening to me too and was going to post something later today to see if anyone else was having that issue. More of a minor annoyance than anything.

Updated my graphics drivers and that resolved the problem with the image remaining when minimizing the window.

eKalb
11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Removing Lightwave from firewall list didn't help me. Do I need to remove it from the list then re-install Lightwave, or just run it again after removing? Or was there something else you meant when you said "Nuking the rules?"

HenrikSkoglund
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Removing Lightwave from firewall list didn't help me. Do I need to remove it from the list then re-install Lightwave, or just run it again after removing? Or was there something else you meant when you said "Nuking the rules?"

It didn't help me either. But it helped when I removed the windows firewall protection altogether. So it seems to be somehow tied to the firewall thing, but perhaps need some further investigation?

eKalb
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
It didn't help me either. But it helped when I removed the windows firewall protection altogether.

So did you have to turn off the firewall, then re-install LW? Or did you just turn off the firewall, and start LW and it worked?

spherical
11-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Without having tested both methods, I am unsure, but I always disable the firewall and anti-virus when installing anything. Having them enabled can Bork the install, because they will block certain low level operations that they are built to trap.

spherical
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM

I deleted all rules pertaining to all three LightWave applications, then just re-ran. This was after having followed that which I posted, above, about not having the firewall or AV enabled during install.

HenrikSkoglund
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
So did you have to turn off the firewall, then re-install LW? Or did you just turn off the firewall, and start LW and it worked?

I did both, but I suspect that you only need to turn off the firewall.

spherical
11-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Not disabling the AV can result in files not being written into locations where they need to be, with the permissions required to be able to access them when the application runs. Two separate conditions that have two separate remedies.

eKalb
11-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I was really hoping it would work this time. I have removed all mentions of Layout or Modeler from my firewall rules, disabled the firewall, and disabled MS Security Essentials. I uninstalled Lightwave 11.6 and deleted the 11.6 folder in the Users\BLAKE\.Newtek\LightWave directory. Shut down the computer. Booted up, checked AV and firewall are off. Install LW 11.6. Run Layout, drag license key. Close and re-open Layout. Bringing up image viewer either by rendering, or by hitting F6 (Image Editor) and loading an image then double clicking the preview will freeze the program. Modeler will also freeze if you bring up the viewer through Image Editor.

Who should I try to contact at Newtek to get help with it?

spherical
11-08-2013, 10:49 PM
OK, only two things missing that I can see in your install-flow:

Did you see any rules for the Hub?
Did you run the installer as Administrator (through the File > Properties dialog), even if you were logged in with an Administrator-privilege account?

Additionally, in Win8 (and presumably Win7) I never let anything get installed into /Program Files (or /Program Files (x86) on a 64-bit OS). Too many permissions issues. I set up a "clone" of them on another disk (/Apps and /Apps (x86) so I can keep the bit versions separated) and install everything that I can control into them. Solves a lot of problems and keeps the boot/system drive to a minimum size.

eKalb
11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
I did not see any rules for the Hub. I right-clicked the installer and chose Run as administrator. I will try installing LW to a different drive. Would I have to install the Sentinel Protection service there as well? Or should it still work in the Program Files directory?

spherical
11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Don't know if Sentinel benefits form not being in /Program Files. If at all possible, I never let installers put anything in /Program Files.

You wouldn't have to reinstall the Sentinel stuff on the other drive, no. It runs as a service and isn't sensitive to where LW is.

That said, my 64-bit is acting up today. Second F9 crashes Layout. If I close Image Viewer and re-render, it's ok. If I minimize it and re-render, it's ok. May be the scene. It was created in earlier versions of LW & there's a lot of stuff in there that really needs reworking.