PDA

View Full Version : To the Newtek team / about Lightwave 11.6

vipvip242
11-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi, Everybody

just some words to congrat you about this new version of lightwave.

It rocks a lot: VPR is now very solid, F9-like & super-quick, instances and other new features are excellent.

I was very angry when the 10 version was out ( after the very good lw9.6 ) but today i wanted to send to you big thanks ( from France ) for your hard work: Lightwave is now a very powerfull and usefull tool for little studios like mine: i actually work on a big project with motion captures ( bvh + ik-boost-tool ), instances, vpr intensive and octane rendering ( excellent plugin too ! ) and it works like a charm ( of course some bugs sometimes but it is not a problem at all ).

I hope you will continue on this way, developping the future of lightwave with this artist -friendly mind and this philosophy of free upgrades: this 11.6 is just what i was dreaming when i saw the first annoucment of the 10 version, 3 years before, but with much more enhancements ( the new multisampling renderer, since lightwave 11, is a great step forward )...

On my side, i'm now waiting for quicker and empowered sotutions around things like volumetrics ( hypervoxel seems to be a little out-of-date today ), and multithreaded cloth/softbodies/bullet...

Cheers

Vincent

GraphXs
11-02-2013, 03:52 PM
11.6 Rocks! Thanks for all the hard work LW3DG!

jeric_synergy
11-02-2013, 10:47 PM
It has been a very successful set of upgrades, and congrats to LW3DG for their positive and productive direction!

geo_n
11-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Very good job NT. Already made use of the 3d printing feature in 11.6. :D

hdace
11-02-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm surprised at how much I love the new null icons. Those little crosses just seem to make my life a little easier. It's the little things. Really.

jog
11-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Yes, great job. VPR and the LW instancing really is excellent.

There are also a lot of nice little touches they have done with
11.6 like a constrain option in the camera panel or the default
9 max samples, good stuff !

Now if they only add the possibility to tear off viewports like
the UV window in modeler...would pay an full upgrade price for this
feature alone.

tomjacobs
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all of the hard work put into this release. Great Job.

Waves of light
11-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Yep, have to agree, it's a solid release guys and girls. Kudos.

jameswillmott
11-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Your kind words haven't gone unnoticed by the team, thanks peoples!

dsol
11-04-2013, 09:48 AM
11.6 VPR is an absolute revelation and the GL improvements under OSX 10.9 are very nice too! It almost feels redundant to say it again, but 11 has been the best cycle in LW's history. Even better than 9's. I'm (cautiously) optimistic about what this implies we have to look forward to in 12!

Snosrap
11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm surprised at how much I love the new null icons. Those little crosses just seem to make my life a little easier. It's the little things. Really. Huh?

UnCommonGrafx
11-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I have enjoyed the goods with 11.xx, and the usage thereof, so much that I am actually holding my card for the purchase of 12.

Are we there yet?

It has been some of the conversations, as well, that have me excited about what can be. Here's hoping we get a LWX-like version from Matt, REAL SOON.

hrgiger
11-04-2013, 02:32 PM
All in all the 11 series has been a very worthy upgrade and appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

nickdigital
11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Huh?

Nulls show up as "+" in the Scene Editor now. It's easier now to differentiate what is geometry and what is a null.

Snosrap
11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Oh ya - those. I thought for a minute we had new null shapes in the viewports that I wasn't able to access.

wyattharris
11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Speaking of "the little things" I was watching Jen's new Spline Instancing video and at 18:30 she demos the Camera-Match Perspective feature.
Beauty!

Lewis
11-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Well 11.x series go along with 9.x as one of most important and best feature packed cycle so far, so YES thank to the team for great work on it :).

bazsa73
11-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I love this new Lightwave, let's praise Rob with great praise and I really mean it. He steered the wheel off the fatal course in the very last moment.

hazmat777
11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I love this new Lightwave, let's praise Rob with great praise and I really mean it. He steered the wheel off the fatal course in the very last moment.

Had a feeling that CORE sounded too good to be true. That's why I didn't sign on. Still would like to know what all the fuss was about though 'cause it did look promising.

Haven't heard from Mr. Powers for awhile around here. Wonder what he's up to? Multiple projects I suppose. :)

probiner
11-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Instancing system is very nice. Quite artist friendly with a lot of reach. In it's own way covers an area I have been calling for a long time that to apply displacements and transformations to objects pivots like they were mesh. It's not it, but allows the effect in many situations. right now the only thing missing on instances in the node editor is this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143766132/Forums/NewTek/displacement_tag.png so instances can be take world displacement solutions like normal objects, so per instance and not just the same solution for all.

Spline Contol is definitely the star in 11.6 and again even if it's not what some expected in terms of having curves in Layout it again offers artist-friendly solutions to things previously impossible or very hard to achieve. I would only like there was a script to auto-smooth the splineNodes so their Heading aligns with the curve tangent and there's not wacky turns. and maybe have the Z Scale to change the curve interpolation, a lá Dpont SplineDeformer.

ID handling improvement in Layout is also quite nice.

Looking forward to replace 11.5.1 at work with this :rock:

Cheers

Kuzey
11-06-2013, 05:48 AM
I must say..LW11.6 is wonderful (haven't downloaded the Gold version yet), but there still needs some polishing like OS specific bugs & other little bugs popping up here and there. I'm really hoping for a 11.6.1 update to address the outstanding issues.

On a scale of zero to brilliant..I'd put it almost there..another 15% more bug fixing & I'll be happy...very happy :)

Great work LWG team!!

erikals
11-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Speaking of "the little things" I was watching Jen's new Spline Instancing video and at 18:30 she demos the Camera-Match Perspective feature. Beauty!

Neat :]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yft6Z6wbyM8#t=18m10s

chikega
11-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Congrats on a superb release! I'm really enjoying it :)

hrgiger
11-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Had a feeling that CORE sounded too good to be true. That's why I didn't sign on. Still would like to know what all the fuss was about though 'cause it did look promising.

honestly there were only two things wrong with CORE IMO. One, it was released too early. Had they took another year before the reveal it would have been in a more usable state and not as open to criticism. Two, because it approached things differently then LW, some saw it as 'alien' and didnt give it time to see its advantages before dismissing it as simply 'not LightWave'. i think of things it could do like animating modeling operations like bevel and lathes, the superior speed that it handled geometry, including lights and cameras in bullet simulations, creating my own icons for cameras and lights, etc.. and i wonder where it could have been today if they had kept developing it. somewhere pretty nice i imagine.

but thats neither here nor there. Rob told us that even though they scrapped Core that the destination is still the same. im hoping we see some of that assertion with improvements in LW12. But considering that they have fully changed direction im pretty happy with the new additions in LW11.