PDA

View Full Version : Not connected to hub; "Launch" menu in hub empty

dfidler
11-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey All,

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I've been away from LW whilst dealing with life events. I've come back, installed 10., 11.5.1, 11.6 and, every single one of those versions gives me trouble with the hub (they are all still installed). I can't F12 back-and-forth between modeler and layout because they're 'not connected to hub'. And when I start the hub directly and try to launch either modeler/layout from it, the launch menu is empty. So something is amiss here and it's not just an artifact of a single version.

Note: I have the dongle plugged in and I'm using the LWK file provided to me by Newtek to no avail. I've also added modeler, layout and hub as exclusions to my lappy's firewall. I don't have AVG installed (as this is reported to have caused issues with others) but I do have MS Enterprise security but it's access logs aren't complaining about blocking access to anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
Dave.

spherical
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Installers should be Run As Administrator, even if you are logged in as an administrator.

No complaints in the MS Enterprise logs or not, disable it when installing and configuring LW for the first time. This build (11.6 Release), I got something I have never seen before. I'd start Layout and it would load fine. Start Modeler and it would take 2+ minutes to come up and it would be in Discovery Mode. Huh? Closed them and started in the reverse order. Modeler loaded fine, Layout took forever and came up in Discovery Mode. Disabling the firewall allowed them to start normally. Found some rules, nuked them and let the firewall write new ones. Everything sorted.

You need to start over with fresh config files for each version.

After quitting one version of LW, always manually exit the Hub. It takes its own sweet time closing itself. The Hubs from one version cannot interact with other versions, or you'll get this type of cross-contamination. IOW, the Hub that happens to be running will write its config with the wrong data and everything gets messed up.

dfidler
11-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Well, I'll try nuking the config files but it's weird because they are all in c:\users\<username>\.Newtek\<LW Version> so I can't see why you would get conflicts in the config files. But I'll clear them anyway.

As for the firewall, I've disabled it completely and tried starting. No love so I'll give that a go once I've installed it. Note: LW 11.6 rules are set to allow connections in the windows firewall... which is disabled anyway. :)

Either way, thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go.

spherical
11-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Well, I'll try nuking the config files but it's weird because they are all in c:\users\<username>\.Newtek\<LW Version> so I can't see why you would get conflicts in the config files. But I'll clear them anyway.

Consider this:
10 Layout and/or Modeler are running and Layout and/or Modeler 10 is closed; without exiting the 10 Hub, then 11.5 Layout and/or Modeler are opened, they will talk to the 10 Hub because it is there. When 11.5 Layout and/or Modeler are closed and then 11.6 Layout and/or Modeler are opened, they will also talk to the 10 Hub. When all are closed, and the 10 Hub eventually exits on its own, it will write its config file containing the wrong data. Same thing can happen with any Hub version that does not match its applications.

Yes, there should be a check within either the Hub or the applications to see if they all match and, if not, throw an error.

As for the firewall, I've disabled it completely and tried starting. No love so I'll give that a go once I've installed it.

"installed it..." What is "it" the firewall or LightWave? The FW should be disabled when installing LW and, as a precaution, for the first LW launches when the config files are generated for each version.