PDA

View Full Version : fight scene rendering time help

SEMIRO
11-15-2003, 08:47 AM
im gonna be buying a new pc in about 3 months and i am planning on doin a small short film thats gonna be a fight scene..of course i want this to be very high quality which means long hours of rendering...the scene/set is gonna be a closed of area kind of like the fight arena in the first matrix where neo fought morpheus and it will have 2 or 3 characters.
to get good realistic results i always use lightwave's radiocity thing to make it look that bit better but rendering times are slow...

the pc im going to get will have a AMD athlon XP 2400+ cpu and about 1GB of ram with a 256MB radeon 9800 pro graphics card....

are the components of the PC good enough to render lets say 500 frames to 1000 frames in about 2-4 hours with radiocity on etc with the kind of scene + characters i first described.

thanks

InsomniacZx
11-15-2003, 09:19 AM
it really all depends on the overall size of the movie (320x240 or 640x480, etc) as well as number of polygons.

But I don't really think that pc will do the times you want... maybe I'm wrong, but, I think you would be better off with a dual Xeon processors with a GB or more of ram. I find the graphics card to really only help when modeling and scrubing the timeline... during render times, my Nvidia 64mb Quadro 2 Pro is hardly running, while my two processors are maxed out at 90 to 100%. I think Ram and two fast processors are key in fast render times.

just my two cents... btw, dell has great workstations that you can customize pretty well to your needs.

toby
11-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh I think you'd need about 50 machines to get times like that.

500 frames at 1 minute each is 8 hours, and I really doubt you can get a render to go that fast with character models and radiosity and other things if you want high quality, like lots of textures and motion blur. Try to keep it at 5 minutes per frame (total 40 hours rendering), and that won't be easy - and don't be surprised if you have to render for 3 days straight, that's what a good animation tends to lead to, and that's why you don't see much radiosity in animations.