PDA

View Full Version : 11.6 Lightwave colour picker

Andy Webb
11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
There doesn't seem to be a way to set a custom location for the colour picker libraries.

The original Jovian version gave you that option and I still run it for Photoshop, it means I can switch between LW and Photoshop and have the same colour history.

The new LW colour picker seems to have lost that ability, I suppose I could change the Jovian libraries to point at the LW libraries, but surely this option should be available
in the LW version too!

This isn't very flexible... :hey:

DuneBoy
11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Hello,

Having the LightWave Color Picker and the Stand Alone Jovian sharing the same Library files would not be possible (sorry). Jovian uses the file extension JCL (Jovian Color Library), whereas the LightWave Color Picker uses LCL (Lightwave Color Library). The data format is the exact same which allow you to import JCL files into the LWCP, and after renaming a file to JCL you can import it into Jovian.

Beyond the file name differences that would be an unwanted side effect to having the two use the same set of files. The LWCP can stay synchronized between different instances (like using Layout and Modeler at the same time), by checking for changes to the files and reloading the data when needed. Jovian however only loads it's library once and then saves it periodically when there are changes. This would cause Jovian to possibly over-write any changes that had been made by the LWCP.

FYI: The LWCP's config file still has the Library Location setting, but it's not exposed in the UI at this time. Instead it uses the config folder (which itself can be redirected).

ken

Andy Webb
11-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It's a shame it can't work that way, taking a colour from LW to Photoshop or vise-versa would have been handy, having to write down the values seems such a pain!

Chrizto
11-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.

It's a shame it can't work that way, taking a colour from LW to Photoshop or vise-versa would have been handy, having to write down the values seems such a pain!

Why "Write" them down?
Can't you just copy pasta the Hex Value from Photoshop into LW's Color Picker?

I mean, as a workaround. You could without doubt write some simple script renaming the color profile to the right extention, as the contents are equal... 10 lines of Python maybe? Then you have to hook up your script to the event fired when switching to the colorpicker that loads the version from Jovian...

jeric_synergy
11-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Even if you can't C&P, I find using Hex values saves on some irritating typing. :)

Andy Webb
11-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Even if you can't C&P, I find using Hex values saves on some irritating typing. :)

Yes you're right, but it's still an extra thing to do which I never had to do :-(