PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Taper in Layout?

Triodin
11-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Hey all - trying to make "roots" with Fiber FX and I need to have them taper more, I see the function in modeler but not in layout - but I need to animate the growth of these roots, so I'm in layout with a keyframe for the Style > Scale. Any idea where there might be taper controls or how to generate the models with modeler with the functionality to make them "grow" in layout?

Also getting a nasty crash every time I go higher than 2% fiber density if anyone has any tips for that - Layout.exe has stopped responding :(

Triodin
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Upgraded to 11.6 final and redid the scene - everything seems to be working! I think there were a few bugs with some of the input field functionality or I was just not getting the right combination right.

Here's two layers of Fiber FX on top of each other set to Fiber Type > Thick Camera Align. with some crazy high width %'s - 15k for the large root and 5k for the smaller ones. I was mistakenly working in "volume only" by mistake which didn't add any taper to the fibers.

prometheus
11-01-2013, 04:13 PM
guess you are stuck with the fiberfx model tool for creating the roots as you want, but it should be possible to animate the roots with the fertilizer plugin for example, you have to set weight maps on the roots first.

Are those tooth roots?
there might be another way to do those ..I think, it might be possible to use dpontīs verdure tree plugin, that creates weightmaps..and thereīs also a growth plugin for it, the trick would be to flip the model though, so it looks like roots and make
a couple of those.
would render faster than fiberFX, but depends on how many roots/nervs you want.

Michael

Triodin
11-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for turning me onto DP's tree plugin prometheus! Just got a perfect "root" out of an upside down tree. I bring it into layout at try to apply DP growth as a displacement effect and it crashes layout - have you had that happen with your stuff? Is there a different workflow that I'm missing?

prometheus
11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for turning me onto DP's tree plugin prometheus! Just got a perfect "root" out of an upside down tree. I bring it into layout at try to apply DP growth as a displacement effect and it crashes layout - have you had that happen with your stuff? Is there a different workflow that I'm missing?

Havenīt actually tried the dp_growth..so I donīt know, what I do know is that when I create a tree model in modeler with dp verdure and create it inverted,
that is to have a poly object below the ground level, it will crash modeler, (was trying to do a lightning bolt in the line mode, had to create it normaly with the branch up and then flip it)
I suspect something goes wrong when this plugin is evaluating either the model or growth going the "wrong direction"

you could try the free fertilizer plugin otherwise, if the crashing persist with dpont_growth.

did you create the root model with the branches going in a up in positive tree direction and then rotated it to go the negative way?
or did you create the root model from start with the branches going negative below ground level from the start?

Is this for a commercial project, or just a demo showcase?
If you are doing a demo showcase and you donīt need lightwave specificly for showcase, you could try take a look at houdini free apprentice, from there you could create very advanced L-system after you get to know that a little
and create roots from the L-system, you can also export that object to lightwave, I think you could even animate the L-system growth in houdini then export to lightwave too, this is allowed just as long as
you are not using it commercially.

There is also an old plugin, which is a sort of poor mans l-system, for lightwave called hypergrove, no longer supported it says and old, but I just tested it in lightwave 11.6 32 bit version, and it works...it gives growing branches or stalks depending on how you use it, but it doesnīt create weight maps, so you have to set that your self, maybe in combination with the free outward weight plugin.
hereīs hypergroover..
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/hypergrover/
hereīs the weight tool plugin...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/contains/weight%20outwards/

there was a very interesting plugin from Pawel Olas, which I believe never was released, called stalk generator...that one would have been perfect...warning, do not left click and try to play the avi, it will halt your browser probably, right click
the images instead and download aviīs if you want to see how it looks, maybe contacting pawel olas and see if it might be possible to get hold of.
http://www.polas.net/plugins/stalk.php

magic bevel might work for manual extruding too.
I think I covered a lot of options here...good luck, for the issue with dpont_growth, you could ask him and see if he could correct the growth, so it is possible to do negative rooth growth properly, Denis has always
answered my mail properly.
And please consider donate to him...even if itīs just enough for coffe:)

Michael

Triodin
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM
You nailed it with fertilizer - yes, I will need to toss some money DP's way for all his great stuff! I made the tree with DP Tree and then turned it upside down in layout, it's looking fantastic - just a few more tweaks and we should be done! Thanks my friend!