PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about this? zBrush or Modeller?

eagleeyed
10-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Hi there guys.
I am suffering from a case of information overload, and a million and one ways of doing this, so am a bit saturated with information.
I think I have just read too much information, and am a bit lost as to the best way to proceed.

I am currently working on the design of a vehicle similar to a car that as part of the episode, will be involved in a high speed incident destroying the vehicle and sending parts of it everywhere.

I have recently started to make decent use out of Zbrush and GoZ to LightWave, and have found it has made prototyping vehicles a lot easier from scratch instead of playing with SubD's.
However, a lot of what I am creating will have moving parts, for example the vehicles doors will be opened, parts go flying in the crash etc.

I cannot get my head around how now I have a base sculpt done, how I would cut the doors/windows/tailgate out of the half million poly zbrush mesh cleanly, and then continue adding detail.
All animation is done in LightWave.

Essentially, the question I am asking is, if you owned both LightWave and Zbrush and the model was to be animated:
A: Is there a way in Zbrush that I am missing that would allow me to simply and cleanly cut the doors out the body model, and use them in animation?
B: Run for the hills! Create the design in Zbrush, but when you are happy with it, create it again in LightWave from scratch so the mesh is clean.

I know now I have the vehicle design the way I like, I could now create it with SubD's in LightWave, however with the design already in zBrush I feel I may be wasting time recreating it all and that there could be a better way.
I just dont have a clue how to break the model up cleanly in Zbrush for use in LightWave to be animated.

All the tutorials I have found don't seem to help in designing for animation, just a model to be used for a single image.

I thought best to ask here rather than the Zbrush forum as the forums there I find are heavily pointed to hero images and poses, rather than sculpts being optimized for animation.

Thank you so much for any help. :)

akademus
11-01-2013, 12:31 AM
This could help. You can see how he cuts the things out when he is working on the dashboard and such.

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/vehicle-design/#introduction

Danner
11-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Once you figure out how to cut it up cleanly, look up the retopology tools in Zbrush so you get an optimized mesh.

eagleeyed
11-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks akademus - I watched that tutorial about two weeks ago, watching it again now. I think I have made it more complicated than it needs to be.

Danner - will do. Looking into retopology, for some reason I had not heard about zRemesher until after I posted this, hopefully that will make the job a lot easier.

Thanks guys. :)

Surrealist.
11-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Oooh I want to do that tut.

Me I always run for the hills, The new Zremesher looks good, But for animation and rendering I want control to a T and I usually just retopo with full edge loop control even finer than you'll ever get with Zremesher. That is me. Old school I guess. But I want to check out that tut as well.