PDA

View Full Version : Nevron Mac missing anything else besides Kinect support?

jwiede
10-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Is there any other functionality besides Kinect support missing from the Mac release of Nevron? Or is it at full parity with Windows Nevron?

CaptainMarlowe
11-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I guess it only lacks the kinect support, which was not the main point for using nevron to me. It is quite good at retargeting, I have used it extensively lately. This said, as there is no usable mac-native solution for marker less motion capture, I have fogged a feature request for other premisense sensors (like carmine or xtion) support with open NI, but got no answer yet. Peharps for a future update ?

meshpig
11-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Have you used "add prefix" so it retargets with one click?

CaptainMarlowe
11-01-2013, 03:28 AM
It depends on what you're looking for.
I needed a solution for easy and quick retargeting and NM gave me that, so I am happy with my purchase (I bought it during siggraph at discount price, this said, and I think that without kinect support, it is a bit pricey at full price). I don't really need kinect motion capture, and I prefer using available professional mocap data like the one you can buy at true bones.
Right now, if you want to do kinect (or other sensor) mocap on your mac, you have to go through bootcamp, which I don't want to do. There is a solution called fastmocap which works on mac but does a terrible job exporting bvh files. I do not own the software, but someone sent me bvh files, and they were entirely screwed.
On the other hand, this software proves that with open NI, primesense sensors can be used inside Mac OSX. So why not inside LW ?
For me it may be a nice addition to NM, but once again, I got good value for what I wanted : fast and easy retargeting.

meshpig
11-01-2013, 05:41 AM
You can also port kinect to mac but it's one of those things you don't want to undertake one Saturday morning only to be still doing it late Sunday evening.

- The fbx export is lousy.

jwiede
11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Well, as I'm mainly interested in Nevron as a motion retargeting package, and that functionality seems to be working moderately well on Mac, I went ahead and purchased the plugin. I gather the FBX export is no worse than LW's overall FBX export, not saying much but I'm hoping that will improve in time.

After purchase, install went fine -- the plugin installs like other plugins, just drag the license into Layout's window, and done. Usage appears pretty clear as well, though I'd rather LW3DG provide a menu CFG to import (rather than suggest we find and install the plugin's entry manually, even just for the single entry) like most commercial plugins. Even better would be if LW moved into the twenty-first century and provided plugins a way to self-register their menus, as it is with most other packages, but I can't fault Nevron for that.

CaptainMarlowe
11-04-2013, 12:13 AM
I haven't tried FBX, because all my mo-cap datas are in BVH, and so far, I have found BVH retargeting to work quite well. Curious to see how you find it works with FBX.

meshpig
11-04-2013, 01:32 AM
I haven't tried FBX, because all my mo-cap datas are in BVH, and so far, I have found BVH retargeting to work quite well. Curious to see how you find it works with FBX.

It actually works fine with FBX, before exporting ( I discovered soon after bemoaning the mess you get if you don't ) bake it and ditch the reference hierarchy which goes some part of the way to a clean fit with Unity 4.2 for example. Personally I think Kinect is a bit of a fad as i can't imagine replicating a back flip for myself... but for facial capture. Mmm :)