PDA

View Full Version : An idea for bones...not sure if it's possible, but.......

lwanmtr
10-31-2013, 07:25 PM
I was relearning LW rigging and had a though of something that could be really neat....but may not be possible too..

A script or someting that could take a rigged object in layout and create weight maps by bone and fill in the relative influence..would make a great way to set up initial weight maps which you could later edit.

I know that LW bones work just fine without them...but it would also be useful if oyu plan to export to other apps.

I'm not a programmer, so this is all just a 'hey, neat idea' post...But any of you programmers/scripters are more than welcome to run with it, if you think it can be done.

Any thoughts?

:D

geo_n
10-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Something like this?
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/autoweight-automatic-skinning-tool-for-3ds-max

There's vertexpaint but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

lwanmtr
11-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Similar, I guess.

You load an object into Layout and rig it, or make skelegons in modeler. No weights or anything created for the model. Then the script would go through and the polys near a given bone, then create a map with that bone's name and assign the polys...and continue across the entire rig until done, the saves the object with the new weight maps.

Of course, thinking..a script like this might be more useful in Modeler with skelegons or genoma rigs.

Simon-S
11-01-2013, 04:04 AM
You can actually do this already.

Export your unweighted object with bones as fbx from layout (not tried with modeler) then clear scene and load the fbx scene.

Auto weights will have been created per bone as you were looking for.

Hope this helps.

geo_n
11-01-2013, 04:46 AM
You can actually do this already.

Export your unweighted object with bones as fbx from layout (not tried with modeler) then clear scene and load the fbx scene.

Auto weights will have been created per bone as you were looking for.

Hope this helps.

Does this change the point order of the mesh when you import it back from fbx?
Jimmyrig before could autoweight a mesh based on a bone hierarchy so its not impossible to do with lightwavee but development seems to be super slow.

Simon-S
11-01-2013, 04:52 AM
No it doesn't appear to affect point order.

lwanmtr
11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Hmmm.. Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that. Like I said, I was just getting an idea..didn't really have a need.

Ill have to give that a try, and see what the results are. Have to see if you could still use endomorphs with it as well.