PDA

View Full Version : FBX file from DAZ corrupted or...

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi!

I just exported an FBX-file from DAZ 4.6 Studio Professional and would like to hear if anyone in here are able to open it. I contantly get crash report messages in Lightwave 11.6 and wonder if thereīs a good solution for this problem.

Regards
Jack

LW_Will
10-29-2013, 12:18 PM
jaxtone, your .fbx crashes Lightwave 11.6, 3D Coat, AND MotionBuilder 2014... so, I think that the file MIGHT BE corrupted from the Daz output.

Might be...

prometheus
10-29-2013, 12:52 PM
the fbx file crashes my lw 11.03 32 bit and it crashes lw 11.06 build 2706.

I suspect it is the new subdiv information that is checked when you export the fbx, uncheck that one first, also..I would uncheck embed textures, then you should be back to square one on the export that should work.
but probably it is the newly introduced subdiv information I suspect...if it works after you have unchecked that, then it is a question of checking the settings for subdivisions in daz in order to be able to use that function.
You should also sign up on the daz forums and check/ask there.

Michael.

JoePoe
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
hmmm, well.... it opens in 9.6.

Looks like there should have been a lot of morphs with it.
No textures or morphs came though.

Also, when opening, the prompt asked if I wanted separate object on different layers. I said yes and got one object on one layer. This may be correct.... you tell me.
The eyelashes are the only discreet poly islands separate from the body from what I got.

Edit: whoops, sorry, there are also two eyeballs, upper and lower (with tongue attached) jaw, and individual teeth.
AND some "weird" (or at least weird to me) stuff associated with the eye (see second image).

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi JoePoe!

Nice to hear that it opens up in LW 9.6 but tell me this. Did you try to open it in Layout?

Regards
Jack

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Michael and thank you for helping!

Itīs definitely the new subdiv information that makes Lightwave to crash. I turned that off and also tried to uncheck "embed textures"! Lightwave doesnīt crash but I am not sure what happens or how I am supposed to handle the file in Layout! Please see attached OBJ file!

JoePoe
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi JoePoe!

Nice to hear that it opens up in LW 9.6 but tell me this. Did you try to open it in Layout?

Yes, and.... it does!

Also, should have mentioned.... the surface poly groups are defined, just not UVed.
(I did get a folder with all the UV jpgs)

Oh, and in your last post, you mention an attached obj but another fbx is attached.

AND regarding the second half of the post above....
The original fbx above (with the screen grab that said subD was included) did not come in SubDed.
(but you really don't need it. It's plenty poly dense and smoothing is doing a good job.)

Edit: sorry, original attached image shows morphs NOT to be included.

prometheus
10-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Hi JoePoe!

Regards
Jack

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Michael and thank you for helping!

Itīs definitely the new subdiv information that makes Lightwave to crash. I turned that off and also tried to uncheck "embed textures"! Lightwave doesnīt crash but I am not sure what happens or how I am supposed to handle the file in Layout! Please see attached OBJ file!

you should probably check all that in daz, donīt have the latest 4.6 daz studio installed, but I think you must have the settings and controls somewhere there, maybe check help files or forums for daz, donīt think you can do anything with lightwave to correct that.

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
JoePoe!

The fact that you are able to open it in LW 9.6 seems like a mystery to me! But it might be changes in LW 11.6 added to DAZ 4.6 Studio also have changed itīs basic import/export agenda that puts me in the middle. I left LW 9.6 because I thought that 11.6 should have more opportunities!

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Promotheus! I have contacted the DAZ team but strange enought they say that they donīt have a copy of LW at all. It seems very risky to me that a developer donīt test different 3D suites bedore the release of a new version! I really donīt know how to get any further with this.

prometheus
10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Promotheus! I have contacted the DAZ team but strange enought they say that they donīt have a copy of LW at all. It seems very risky to me that a developer donīt test different 3D suites bedore the release of a new version! I really donīt know how to get any further with this.

Donīt know either, didnīt you check the daz settings/menu about subdiv...also check daz help files about export or subdiv levels.
Ask your question to the forum and other users..as the daz team said, they donīt have a copy, they probably has contact with those who does maybe or get feedback from other users simply.

I could try and install the 4.6 myself, I was about to before..but I got a wrongly directed download link so I didnīt bother at that time.
I need to know if I can install daz 4.6 without it confliction or overwriting 4.0, do you have the older daz 4.0 still installed? I could ask the daz forums too.

And googling might help too, I found this about the subdivs in daz 4.6...
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/22379/

parameters to look out for...
Parameters > Mesh Resolution > Subdivision Algorithm

Edit...they strongly recommend uninstall daz 4.0 before installing 4.6, bummers, not sure I want to do that now since 4.0 works quite nicely, and you have scared me with
these issues, and I am not going to install it just because of testing the errors or how to solve that.

prometheus
10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
daz studio 4.6 implemented pixars opensubdivs, so it is likely it is that causing the issues, and I recon you should be able to switch between subdiv algorithms in daz as I mentionedin the post above.

Perhaps in Lightwave 12 versions we might be getting that subdiv typ too and there shouldnīt be any issue.
It is weird though that 9,6 can import it correctly..maybe 9.6 just skips that information in the 9.6 fbx importer.

Michael

JoePoe
10-30-2013, 09:41 AM
..maybe 9.6 just skips that information in the 9.6 fbx importer.

Michael

Could very well be. The FBX came into both Modeler and Layout.... UN-subD'ed.

So, perhaps that's a temporary solution!!
Export from DAZ without subD info, bring it into modeler and do it there.

jaxtone
10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Promotheus!

Is it possible that you have an old copy of 4.0 available? I might give up on 4.6 since the knowledge at DAZ is very low when it comes to the connection DAZ/Lightwave that they announce as possible at their webpage. But I am also listening to what you say about that these guys may find valuable information in their network of users that runs both LW and DAZ. Anyway this is what support wrotem and it didnīt attract me since non of the softwares he mean load these corrupt files are interesting for a waver:

"Hi Jack,

I've had a look at the .obj file in a text editor and in various 3D applications, and it appears to be a solid .obj file with all the necessary sections and data. The .obj file format is usually the most stable, easy format to use to transfer geometry from one program to another. Why this would not load in Lightwave is a complete mystery. I've tested it in DAZ Studio, Hexagon, Carrara, and Blender and it loaded up with no problems.

For exporting a character with rigging (skelleton, moving parts), I believe .fbx would be the way to go. OBJ only transfers the geometry, with no rigging/skelleton.

You would need to play with the .fbx export settings until you get a satisfactory result in Lightwave. I am unfamiliar with what Lightwave requires. After transferring a character or object from one program to another, there is often some cleanup and tweaking that will need to be done: rigging adjustments, reapplication of texture maps, adjusting material settings for the new renderer, etc. Our .fbx exporter has been tested I believe with Maya and Motionbuilder...your results with them will be the best. In other applications there may or may not be more tweaking to do. I expect as the exporter plugins get further developed in future editions of DAZ Studio it will get better.

I'm not sure what else I have to offer you in regards to exporting .obj for Lightwave. Let me know if you think there's something I can do."

prometheus
10-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Promotheus!

Is it possible that you have an old copy of 4.0 available? I might give up on 4.6 since the knowledge at DAZ is very low when it comes to the connection DAZ/Lightwave that they announce as possible at their webpage. But I am also listening to what you say about that these guys may find valuable information in their network of users that runs both LW and DAZ. Anyway this is what support wrotem and it didnīt attract me since non of the softwares he mean load these corrupt files are interesting for a waver:

"Hi Jack,

I've had a look at the .obj file in a text editor and in various 3D applications, and it appears to be a solid .obj file with all the necessary sections and data. The .obj file format is usually the most stable, easy format to use to transfer geometry from one program to another. Why this would not load in Lightwave is a complete mystery. I've tested it in DAZ Studio, Hexagon, Carrara, and Blender and it loaded up with no problems.

For exporting a character with rigging (skelleton, moving parts), I believe .fbx would be the way to go. OBJ only transfers the geometry, with no rigging/skelleton.

You would need to play with the .fbx export settings until you get a satisfactory result in Lightwave. I am unfamiliar with what Lightwave requires. After transferring a character or object from one program to another, there is often some cleanup and tweaking that will need to be done: rigging adjustments, reapplication of texture maps, adjusting material settings for the new renderer, etc. Our .fbx exporter has been tested I believe with Maya and Motionbuilder...your results with them will be the best. In other applications there may or may not be more tweaking to do. I expect as the exporter plugins get further developed in future editions of DAZ Studio it will get better.

I'm not sure what else I have to offer you in regards to exporting .obj for Lightwave. Let me know if you think there's something I can do."

Im quite certain I would engage into something illegal if I were to send you a copy of daz 4, better if you ask those at daz for it,or if they have it on other sites.
it might be available at other sites to who shares free software.

Didnīt you find the subdiv parameters I hinted to in daz? and isnīt there a way to turn of the open subdiv and use older subdiv?

Michael

JoePoe
10-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Jax,

Have you posted an example obj???

I only see fbx's.

jaxtone
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Sorry! But it seems to be problems with the "attach file" function here at the moment!

LW_Will
11-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Sorry! But it seems to be problems with the "attach file" function here at the moment!

Really? Hmm...

jaxtone
11-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah, at my place no files can be sent, the attachment process ends in a loop, but when I shut down this page and re-open it on file seems to have been attached anyway. Not the one I wanted but at least a file. Iīll try again! Had to compress it since the Attachment generator classified it as corrupt... and in deed it is :)

JoePoe
11-02-2013, 02:30 PM
......since the Attachment generator classified it as corrupt... and in deed it is :)

Jax,

I hope some of this info is helpful. :)
It's not corrupt on my end.
9.6 opens the obj. The geometry is fine, but there's only one (default) texture. AND there's one UV which is a mash up of all the original UVs.
This is not surprising as 9.6 only supports one UV per obj. But the surface thing is a little weird.

Blender opened the obj perfectly. All the UVs and surfaces are there!

Exporting from Blender as an OBJ (without doing anything to it): The new obj comes into LW fine. All the texture areas are defined now. Still, though, there is only one UV.... but, again, that makes sense.

Exporting from Blender as COLLADA (without doing anything to it): Comes into LW PERFECTLY. All textures AND all UVs. :thumbsup:

So, if you are looking for an easy workaround while you wrestle with the actual issues.... I would give the Blender>save as Collada>open in LW route a try. :beerchug:

Heck, try the same thing with the FBX. I have an older version of Blender and don't have the fbx import/export plug, but I think it's standard now. Bring in the fbx resave as as an fbx and open in LW..... couldn't hurt to try. At least you would be up and running.

prometheus
11-03-2013, 02:28 PM
jaxtone...if you got the time, could you check how the parameter settings look like for changing mesh subdiv resolution in daz 4.6...and if there is a switch parameter between the new open subdiv and the old subdiv in daz studio pro 4.6?
I guess it should be possible to change, otherwise it will bring issues...since we donīt have opensubdiv supported yet in lighwave, letīs hope for lw 12 maybe.

hereīs where it is located in daz 4.0...the old subdiv mesh settings that is.

Michael

Chernoby
08-09-2014, 01:55 PM
I had the same issue of Lightwave crashing with FBX import after exporting from DAZ. What solved my problem was turning "SubDivision Algorithm" to "Catmull-Clark (Legacy)" and "Edge Interpolation" to "Soft Corners and Edges" in DAZ. I don't know if soft corners is necessary, just changing to the Legacy Catmull-Clark

jaxtone
08-10-2014, 03:55 AM
Ok! Thank you everyone that tried to help me solve this problem! It was actually not because of my mental state things went wrong here. After a while with great help from some of you the problem was addressed to Newtek and the fact that 11.6 didnīt have capacity to handle commas from the Swedish language and convert them to dots. Itīs all solved now and I hope that everyone where more like you next time issues like these occure!