PDA

View Full Version : IT and male macho blokey culture

saranine
10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
First of all, despite my handle I am NOT female. It was a handle that I typed at random.

At one point I considered going into computer programming as a career. But what put me off it was the male blokey culture. For instance I would mention Cisco routers and a programmer says "they make some weird %^$# don't they". In particular I cannot get on with older programmers. They don't seem to get it that I don't know what a server is. If I talk about computers it is "old hat" to them.

Anyone else feel this way as well?

Shabazzy
10-29-2013, 05:39 AM
You make it sound as though you expect Men to be more effeminate instead of what they really are. Masculine.

Seems to me that you might want to make more of an effort to broaden your vision and life experiences. That way you may be able to better adapt to different cultures and situations.

Try understanding what a Man's psyche is all about, it might help you cope better with us.

BigHache
10-29-2013, 05:50 AM
I think a lot of the mindsets you mentioned are because of how an industry has been geared. And programmers tend to be of similar personalities.

My company has several programmers. I believe they only develop web-based applications because it's more efficient to deploy and maintain. Plus if a company gets the same computer for everyone developers don't even need to worry about that detail, just the server their application is running from.

Tobian
10-29-2013, 08:31 AM
I am sure you are possibly right, but nothing you said sounded especially blokey to me, so I can't really comment on something I can't see. I like evidence and facts.. Does that make me blokey? :D

Tranimatronic
10-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I was curious about your forum handle. Was wondering what happened to the other eight saras before you.

I am an older programmer, and not all of us are as described. I put it down to the fact I was an artist for a looong time before turning to the dark side.
I noticed the developers all left earlier and got paid more than the art department. I also noticed there was no demo reel or one million opinions on how you could have done your work better.
To be honest though a lot of art departments are very 'blokey' too, its not just the development department, more the industry as a whole

shadowshifter
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Define "male macho blokey".

I have worked with a few coders and know but haven't worked with a number of programmers and software engineers and none are what I would call macho or blokey, though there was a definite male bias as far as numbers went.