PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Remove Polygon Collection(?)

Lee Groves
10-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the collection of 610 Polygons called "Dark Blue" (See attachment) and to make them part of the main model?
I have tried many ways but the Statistics panel always shows them as a separate selection (?)
They are part of the main model and should not be separate.
If it helps I am using Lightwave 11.5.1 under Windows 8.1
BTW - Lightwave runs *a lot* faster under windows 8.0/8.1

Thanks
Lee Groves.117864

RudySchneider
10-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Perhaps a screen shot would help, because what your Statistics Panel tells me is that you have a model with 38698 total polygons, only 610 of which have a surface color called "Dark Blue." All of the remaining polygons have no color assigned to them.

Which leads me to conjecture that you selected some, but not all of the polygons in your model when you assigned it a color. You do realize, don't you, that selecting nothing is the same as selecting everything? That is, if you want all of the polygons to have the same color, don't select any polygons when you assign them a color ("q" hotkey).

A screen shot may also shed light on other issues. For instance, if you're talking about a simple model, that's a LOT of polygons! Perhaps there are duplicates occupying the same space?

Lee Groves
10-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Rudy.
Thanks. You are correct the model is a large\complex one but the trouble I am having is that when select all the "Dark Blue" polygons by using the Stats wndow and clicking on the "+" sign. I then apply a different surface name, then save the file. After reloading the same file\.lwo the surface name change has not taken and I am still left with the original 610 polys that are named "Dark Blue". The only way I have found (Which does not always work) is by deleting the polygons and recreating them again.

Lee Groves
10-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Rudy.
Just noticed something else: The "Dark Blue" is proceeded by the letters "Col:" - Collection?
I have managed to rename the same selection of polygons to "Default" and they now show up as "Surf: Default" in the Stats window. However the Original "Dark Blue" ones are still there and are the same polygons as the surface ones.
I am assuming that I will now some how need to find out how to delete the 'Collection' called "Dark Blue"

JoePoe
10-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Lee,

Don't worry about it.
"Col" stands for color..... as in Sketch Color under Display Options>Layout Tab. (not surface color)

I'm guessing you changed it at some point and continued modeling, or brought the model in from somewhere else that used a different sketch color than your default.
The point is....Your model is still one piece (probably, I haven't seen it afterall ;)).... just some of the wires are being drawn in different colors. No harm (unless you're trying to make a selection by sketch color that is :))

Lee Groves
10-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Ohhhh! - That explains why I have not been able to remove them! (I thought they belonged to a separate collection of polygons)

Joe
Thanks.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Yeah, what JoePoe said. There's no downside to ignoring them.

OTOH, since you seem to be a newbie (no offense), this is a good opportunity to point out a, IMO, rarely used capability of psuedo-grouping in Modeler: selection by SKETCH COLOR. As I recall, there's something like 16 colors you can assign the wireframe to be sketched/drawn in (That's what the COLOR WIREFRAME display mode is about: just WIREFRAME shows all whitish-grey). That doesn't seem like many, but since you can address them on a layer by layer, it may be enough.

SKETCH COLOR is especially handy in distinguishing between right and left sides of a model, which often are mirror images and easy to confuse. Settle on a standard (like boats and planes) convention and you'll reduce your modeling confusion.

SKETCH COLOR has zero effect on the Surfacing of your object, so you can use it with wild abandon. And SKETCH COLOR does not have the incredibly annoying limitation of PARTS, in that a polygon can only belong to one PART (not to be confused with DPKit-style "parts").

Another example might be: imagine you've modeled a complicated 'radio' with many knobs that each has a different Surface. If you give each knob the same SKETCH COLOR, you can select them all in one go. If they were cloned or pasted from one original mesh, it's even easier.

So, two advantages: Reduce visual confusion, and simplify selection. Just another arrow in your modeling quiver.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2013, 12:58 AM
BTW, I notice that a great many of your polygons are NON-PLANAR. You might have trouble rendering them correctly in that case.