PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11.6 canīt load OBJ files!

jaxtone
10-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I earlier had a version of Lightwave 11.5 where the importer for OBJ files worked perfect but after installing 11.6 yesterday no OBJ files can be imported. Lightwave 11.6 says there are errors!

How could a new version of LW disqualifiy OBJ files that the older version accepted?

If anyone can and wanīt to support me please be as specific as possible!

Regards, Jack

Snosrap
10-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I spent all day yesterday loading OBJ's into LW 11.6 build 2717 - works fine here. Do you have corrupt files maybe? Make a cube in modeler and export it as an OBJ and see if it will load.

jaxtone
10-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi Snosrap-parsons!

In my threadstart for help I wrote: "How could a new version of LW disqualifiy OBJ files that the older version accepted?"

I am glad you spent all day yesterday to loading OBJīs inte Lightwave 11.6. I have no corrupt files at all here! I opened them in LW 11.5 and that would probably say it all!

I still need help and if you can assist me I will be a happy boy!

prometheus
10-26-2013, 08:12 AM
what lw 11.6 build is it? the latest update?
also, check and uncheck some of the lightwave preference settings for obj format import might do the trick.

Michael

Snosrap
10-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Most likely a plug-in not being recognized then.

jaxtone
10-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Michael!

Thanks for your advices, I will add an image of the OBJ check options and ask if someone knows the correct settings in there! I tried to tick them one by one forward and backwards without succéss!

My version of Lw is "Lightwave 11.6 Build 27.17"

Hereīs a question to the guys at Newtek: Why remove such a thing like the OBJ import/export function from the installation process? It seems insane to me that I shall even pay a minutes of attention to sort this out!

jaxtone
10-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Someone at Newtek must have lost it all. Trying to get some help from the tehnical support guys but the mission fails.

Why canīt people behind the stearing wheel think before they make an action? Half way into the process where I have to tell and write a novel before I actually can share my problem thereīs a box asking for my serial nr.... But hey, I got a license key that I were asked to drag into a splash window. Sh"#"#"# t!

spherical
10-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I am glad you spent all day yesterday to loading OBJīs inte Lightwave 11.6. I have no corrupt files at all here! I opened them in LW 11.5 and that would probably say it all!

Not if it's your 11.6 install that's Borked in one way or another. So, to say that you have no corrupt files at all is a bit presumptuous. Just tested 32-bit and 64-bit (you didn't say which) and every OBJ I tried worked as expected. LW even found and reported errors in some of them.

jaxtone
10-27-2013, 05:43 AM
I run a Windows 64 bit system!

Itīs definitely not "presumptuous" to state that these files are NOT corrupt at all. All files worked perfect before the 11.6 install and they work fine in other 3D softwares! What are you trying to tell me?

I need solutions, nothing else!

Kuzey
10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
You could make one to two of these obj's available so people can test it for themselves or better yet...fogbugz it & let LWG have a look see.

prometheus
10-27-2013, 10:39 AM
yes...If you can post the obj file, or a similar ..it could help for us to help checking it for you.
Also, where did the object file come from, from where is it exported?

Unfortunatly I only have the 2706 built installed, so I canīt compare really, Im a little reluctant to install the latest build, I want to wait and see if another build shows up, or maybe whats about to come for lw12.
meanwhile I swap between 11.03 and 11.6 build 2706.

And I mostly use 32 bit because of all plugins beeing available, and I also got acess to quicktime previews etc which isnīt supported in 64 bit from apple...still

Michael

Snosrap
10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not certain about the plugs, but I think these are the ones -see attached - that need to be in plug-in folder for LW to recognize the various formats. With LW 11.6 they rolled importing and loading objects into just the load object function. Go to the load object file requester and you should see that the load requester now recognizes multiple 3D formats (.obj,.dxf,.ply,.3ds,.dae,.fbx,.stl) - see attached. If your file requester doesn't show those, look for some plug-in issue or maybe a new clean install is in order.

jaxtone
10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
These two are missing in my plugin directory, canīt find them anywhere:

dpx.p cadIO.p

BeeVee
10-28-2013, 12:22 PM
What build of 11.6 are you running? Did you uninstall before you reinstalled?

B
PS. dpx.p is the plugin for DPX files and cadio.p is the plugin for STL/PLY files and the mesh fixer tool.

jaxtone
10-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi BeeVee!

Yes, I did uninstall before re-install. Strange enough after uninstall and re-install 11.6 about 10 times my copy of Lightwave is able to load all old OBJ files exported from DAZ about a month ago.

All new files that were exported from DAZ are not possible to open in LW 11.6. Itīs possible to open these models in LW 11.6 if they are exported as FBX from DAZ.

My logic sense tells me it seems to be a problem even or most probably in DAZ.

BeeVee
10-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Someone at Newtek must have lost it all. Trying to get some help from the tehnical support guys but the mission fails.

Why canīt people behind the stearing wheel think before they make an action? Half way into the process where I have to tell and write a novel before I actually can share my problem thereīs a box asking for my serial nr.... But hey, I got a license key that I were asked to drag into a splash window. Sh"#"#"# t!

That's not only incorrect, but impolite.

LightWave 11.6 works fine for the other people here. Perhaps there's a problem with the OBJ? Perhaps you should share that before you throw accusations?

B

spherical
10-28-2013, 10:16 PM
That's not only incorrect, but impolite.

+1

prometheus
10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
+1

yes...one thing we as customers and forum members need to constantly have in mind, Even though we might run in to frustrating things, politeness and engaging proper tone to communicate in spite of that.
So many guys working hard in the lightwave group and they need a chance to adress problems in due time, we are quite a large group and not everyone can have their issues solved at once as if you were the special one.

From these forums we can all get help from each other, or the lightwave group if it comes to their attention, or when they have time to do so.

Michael

pinkmouse
10-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Jax, you're having a problem, that's fine, we all do now and again. But if you want us to help, (and we're more than willing to do so), you have to provide us with the information required to give you that help. Without that we can't do anything.

Post one of your problem OBJs, and the community can look at it. If there is a problem with LW, then we and the devs need to know that. If it's a problem your end, we can help you sort it out. But we can't do anything until you do, and the threads will descend into pointless bickering, you won't get an answer, and members will be less likely to help you in the future. Your move. ;)

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 03:05 AM
Hi guys!

I know it seems like a mess when someone pops out and I just can say I am sorry but my frustration over non functional softwares makes me go nuts. The problem with LW 11.6 are now solved. The issue is still unknown but after 10 tries with un- and reinstalls it suddenly worked. Probably two failures appeared at the same time. The unknown issue with the LW 11.6 beta version install and that the new updated DAZ version that does not interfear with LW 11.6 when mentioning OBJ files, at least not if I compare with earlier versions of LW and DAZ.

I couldnīt share my problem specifications with any technical support responsibles at Newtek since there popped up a box asking for my serial nr. I have a license key that I were asked to drag into a splash window no serial number!

BeeVee
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
You have a serial number for each of your licenses.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2807104/forum/account.png

pic if it doesn't work otherwise (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2807104/forum/account.png)

Your key (the file you had to drag in) is based on it. If you go to your account on lightwave3d.com you will see it there. Also, "non functional softwares" isn't right either otherwise the whole forum would be up in arms. Don't forget that when you uninstall, stuff gets left in your <user>\.NewTek\LightWave\<version> folder, so if you want to be sure that everythin is cleared delete this folder too.

lardbros
10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
I think 9 out of 10 times, using config files from an old version of LW in the latest version will cause some kind of issues. Best off deleting the folder that BeeVee mentioned too!

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 08:51 PM
BeeVee! Thanks for the information about serial numbers, I missed that because I am so frustrated over stuff I canīt control that puts me in a spot where I canīt work. Sorry for the frustrated part of my communication but itīs related to missed jobs.

I have a routine to always delete left over files after removal of a software, but in this case none of the config files that been mentioned here existed. Maybe you mean that I have to learn about deleting register files each time before I install a new fresh copy of LW 11.6. In that case the un- and reinstall process have changed drastically from 9.6 to 11.6 and I admit my lack of skills. Are there a specific folder I might have missed I would gladly receive information of where that or the other config folders that may cause the problems excist.

Additional information is that a fully working LW 11.6 install with impor/export functions was succesfully installed. I have no logical reason to how or why this happend since I followed the same routine each time.

1. Shut down all antivirus and firewalls.
2. Removed the old version of LW 11.6 from the computer through my control panel.
3. Removed all folders with config files.
4. Restarted my computer.
5. Shut down all antivirus and firewalls.
6. Installed LW 11.6

jaxtone
10-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Lardbros!

And in this case the tenth try did install a fully working copy of 11.6. But i still canīt explain why since I followed the same routine each time!

I think 9 out of 10 times, using config files from an old version of LW in the latest version will cause some kind of issues. Best off deleting the folder that BeeVee mentioned too!

lardbros
10-30-2013, 04:58 AM
God knows... but glad you're up and running! :D

You definitely don't have to remove any Registry keys from LightWave after an uninstall... just the configuration files within your user folder. (You may not be able to see it if you don't have hidden folders visible... it's usually in a folder called .newtek, and always hidden)

jaxtone
11-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok! Thanks for the information!

shrox
11-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Hurray!