PDA

View Full Version : [SCRATCH Play] by Assimilate

Areyos Alektor
10-23-2013, 05:02 PM
The subject comes up often but we don't ever tell enough : it's preferable to use images sequence for rendering. But we were forced to mix different support and especially for video many codec are used. Video playback software thus have an important part to play in the comfort of work. This message has no other purpose than to directly address the subject and propose one of those that I use the most. It has some interesting advantages like being able to open: "OpenEXR", "REDCODE", "DPX", "ProRes", "CinemaDNG", etc...

http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/scratch-play

It's has more known like "VLC", "Media Player Classic HC" or "Stereoscopic Player". But I prefer to quote "DJV Imaging" or "sView".

I would point out that "SCRATCH Play" is free.

m.d.
10-23-2013, 07:35 PM
its a cool system...assimilate is really high end stuff

unfortunately scratch play runs like crap on my system...

you can get davinci lite for free as well....will handle all the same formats and more

Areyos Alektor
10-24-2013, 02:16 PM
"DaVinci Resolve Lite" is a very good tool, and indeed for the price it's a bargain :D

You have what like problem with "SCRATCH Play" ?

m.d.
10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
i've had it since the day it came out.....and it runs terribly..

playback is choppy and slow...program has frozen almost every time i ran it...

it might be that i am on windows 8 or some other driver issues....but on my system scratch play is terrible

mxf playback is slow....

RED r3d plays back extremely choppy at 1/8th rez....
where in red cine, and adobe PPro i can get realtime playback at 1/2 rez

Areyos Alektor
10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Interesting to know, and you have had crashes ?

Makes it only on long files or whatever the length ?

The problem is often the choice of library by programmers, just that something doesn't match and it's the catastrophe. It can be seen with CUDA.